Author Topic: white sweetcorn kernels  (Read 15039 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
white sweetcorn kernels
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:44:46 »
I've been eagerly checking the ripeness of my sweetcorn. The kernels are pretty big, but they are still white. Will they go yellow? The plants are kelvedon glory.

I just cannot wait for homegrown sweetcorn.
gone to pot :D

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
Re: white sweetcorn kernels
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 14:37:13 »
aqui,
        I done the same thing with my Kelvedon Glory corn today and like yours its very pale.   I think patience is the name of the game.   Let me know when yours is ready and how it tasts ;D

On another note, I'm curious that if its ok to eat unripe corn?

Mark

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 14:42:28 »
Mark,

Probably not poisonous but will taste grim because the sugars will not be formed properly, I would think.

I stand to be corrected!

Rosie

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 15:22:20 »
Mark - patience and sweetcorn are not two words that go together. I've waited two years for this crop (it failed last year after the previous year's success). But after what Rosie's said I'd rather wait for it to be decent than have it now and it be gross.

keep eyeing up the cobs in the greengrocers, but no - I'll wait for my own.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 19:35:03 »
We grew that one last year and they did not go true yellow - more of a butter colour.  They were fantastic.  This year's stuff is piddling little plants that look to fail.  We'll see.............
Get with the beat Baggy

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 20:10:02 »
anyone reading this growing Lark at all? It's also quite white and I don't know how yellow it goes as I grew Ovation last year.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 20:43:14 »
That's next years failure.
Get with the beat Baggy

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 07:20:01 »
I do the fingernail test, but you have to remember if they are not ready, to seal up the corn again or every earwig in the neighbourhood will get in!
Still waiting for my tassels to turn!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 09:43:17 »
I ate a Lark last night, as they had indeed gone pale yellow. Boiled for 8 minutes without salt.

WOW!  8)

Talk about exploding sweetness and really thin skins! I don't know how long they keep the sweetness but I'm hoping that it's a reasonable time. I ate the last frozen Ovation the other day and it wasn't a patch on the Lark!

The kernels filled the whole cob, too. All 16 rows right to the tip so I had trouble knowing where to put the skewer.  If they are still going in a couple of weeks I shall be tempted to enter a couple at the show.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:20:36 »
I checked them again yesterday - they are going yellower and the juice is milky. can't wait til tomorrow's dinner!

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 09:25:13 »
I had my first ever home grown last night and they were fairly pale, some of the kernels hadn't formed at the ends, the juice was slightly on the liquid side of milky when nail tested but they were blooming gorgeous.  Didn't even need butter.  Go on, give 'em a go  ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 21:41:58 »
What I would like to know is just how do I go about peeling back the green bits to look at the yellow bits.  I had a go at mine today but thought I might do some damage and not be able to wrap back up to stop the earwigs.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 22:40:35 »
Last year was my first year with sweetcorn  and it was a great success, one tip I received was (I think) from Alex "the Gardener" who used to post here regularly and that was  - "to test readiness when silks have browned you should feel the tip of the cob in the palm of your hand and if it is nicely rounded not pointy then c.ob is ripe - worked for me anyway.

You are all correct tho - the flavour of homegrown is way way better than shop bought,.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 11:25:32 »
yum yum yum yum!

We had two for friday's dinner. Absolutely yumtiddlyumptious! So sweet and just and tender. Can't wait to have some more this week!

FB - the yellow thing was me expecting the kernels to turn yellow like corn is. This variety it seems go more creamy coloured. And baby corn is specially breed so it's sweet earlier. If you ate normal corn at that stage it wouldn't taste nice. And anyway you usually only get one or two cobs off a plant so you'd need a field for a meal!

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 11:48:22 »
I've had lots of sweetcorn now! The only problem now is I dont think I grew enough plants!

Mark

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 19:11:12 »
Mine was so lurvley. Waited till tassles had disappeared. Last year they where good but had pieces of corn"missing" this year they are so uniformly perfect?? Don't know how I did that but hope to do that again.
Just me to eat them and I find one packet plenty if there was a houseful of people to eat I would presume you would need a packet of seeds per person.:D
Marigold

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal