Author Topic: ? Annoyance?  (Read 10483 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: ? Annoyance?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2005, 19:37:13 »
Not entirely accurate Svea
Anyone can upload from a third party site - eg Photobucket,
subscribed members can upload directly off their own computer.

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2005, 20:16:09 »
I don't know whether the cap fits or not (ref Eric) but I feel that I should make some comment after Emma Jane has posted a link to a thread I started on the BBC gardening board about my dahlia photos (I am sure that some members of this site watch Gardeners World and are taking part in the Dahlia trial and I thought they might be interested in the photos too). I suddenly feel that I have done something wrong, but am not sure what!

I am new to gardening and joined the BBC boards and then this site towards the end of last year. I have never had any problems with anyone on either site. I have never had anything but praise for this site. I have never treated anyone with disrespect.

Since that time I have really enjoyed being a member of the gardening online community. One of the best things I enjoy is a natter, not necessarily on topic, and posting photos of my garden, flowers, gardens visited etc. I also love to view other people's photos. I have entered the photo competition on this site in previous months. I do not have an allotment, so do not contribute on topic on many of the boards here, but I do take an interest in this site.

I fail to see how sharing my photos here is not contributing to this site. I thought that was what The Gallery was for, but perhaps I am wrong. I am happy for anyone to see my photos, including people who read the Beeb site. I just do not see this as a 'them and us' matter and have never thought of myself as abusing this site. People have always been kind about my photos (as in fact most people are about all the photos shared here - it makes this one of the best gardening sites possible). I use Photobucket to upload my photos and have taken time to explain to others how to do this so they can share their photos, which I think is for the good of the community!

If anyone is in the slightest bit offended that I post photos on this site, please tell me and I will stop immediately. I am surprised that I am the type of the person who is unwelcome on this site, but if that is the case then so be it. As far as I am aware there are a number of people who are members of both sites - is this a crime? Suddenly it feels that not all ARE welcome on this site. I think that is a shame.

I feel that this issue has been blown out of all proportion. I would not have posted on this thread if Emma Jane had not directly posted a link with my name on it. But I feel that I have the right to explain my point of view. Surely this site needs members who make whatever contribution they can, even if that contribution is just posting the odd photo.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2005, 20:52:55 »
Oh dear, this thing is getting a bit out of hand isn't it? I did try to be a bit "calming" with a post early on & wasn't going to say any more as it was getting to be a bit them & us. However as I have been mentioned specifically I thought I had better say something. Hope I.m not misinterpreted! EJ all I wanted to do was to inform the beeb posters what they had started, I think I called it "a bit of tetchiness" which I thought at the time was a fairly light-hearted way of doing it  The whole thing seems to have developed into a "them & us" which is totally bonkers as far as I am concerned.

As I have said already, I frequent both boards & enjoy them both in very different ways. They are 2 communities but some of us like to live a bit in both. I hope I make a useful contribution to both - perhaps not. I have never posted the same question on both sites, but why not - I look at more than 1 gardening book or recipe book because they may give me different information. I came here as a result of recommendations on the beeb. Even if I had come to post pics (can't as I'm rubbish with technology), surely its just one way of finding out about it & then people get more involved & make more of a contribution. (I believe the use of the word annexe is light-hearted)

The issue of financial contributions to the site was, to me anyway, not initially very clear. It is only after spending time gradually getting to different areas of the board that it gradually dawns! I don't think I am alone in that. I did suggest in some thread recently that some mention could be made of this when people sign up to the site.

The beeb site does have its disadvantages & I think it is inevitable that it gets alot of first time posters asking the same questions. I still like it & hope I can help them & others. I hope I can continue to do the same here.

(I'm going to quickly post this without reading it - I hope I have got across what I wanted to say!)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2005, 23:21:04 »
surly isnt it better to have these people on both boards? myself included? after all their gardening knowledge is second to non, plocket with her clems etc. so why restrict their knowledge to one board?the complaint on the beeb was that people on this side were unfriendly and you follow it up with a ppost like this...i said you were a good bunch, but sometimes i wonder.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2005, 23:33:09 »
How dare you say such a thing.

I'll have you know my gardening knowledge is second to everyone's.

Hrrmph!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2005, 23:41:52 »
How dare you say such a thing.

I'll have you know my gardening knowledge is second to everyone's.

Hrrmph!
he he

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2005, 00:03:57 »
I'm sure Dan is well aware of the concept of advertising and the many many free mentions his site receives on the beeb. If you don't know about advertising then ponder why for example , are supermarkets are allowed to mention rival supermarkets in their adverts? Even negative advertising creates an interest.  Each and every mention has the possibility of a new revenue.

All the other arguments fall foul and only Erics initial grievance of people posting photos and then not contributing more stands with any credence. Be that questions, answers, whatever.The rest has the feeling of a witch hunt. Absolutely disgusting.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:31:29 by Heldi »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2005, 00:06:57 »
I really think it is time we brought closure to these postings we ARE a very happy group of folks on here if left alone so how about closure.!!!!.
 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) :P :P :P ;) ;) ;) :) :) :).

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2005, 10:20:48 »
I am happy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.  I will continue to use this board with a passion and to keep an eye on the BBC with the occasional contribution.  I mean to carry on as before.  Peace and love to everyone  :) :-* ;)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2005, 10:35:13 »
I see nothing wrong with using more than one website to ask the same questions or talk about same subjects. Afterall if you want to find out about something you wouldn't read only one book would you?

Yes Redclanger lets all promote peace and love each other (neil from the young ones springs to mind hee hee). ;D

Yellow Petals

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2005, 15:10:32 »
I see nothing wrong with using more than one website to ask the same questions or talk about same subjects. Afterall if you want to find out about something you wouldn't read only one book would you?

Spot on.

How about a nice verse of Kumbaya and some toasted marshmallows all round?  :P

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2005, 18:10:40 »
So love, peas, kumbaya and marshmallows it is then  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2005, 21:16:46 »
quick, Derek, get your guitar!
it's time for a sing song!  ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2005, 09:20:11 »
Crikey,  have you lot all been taking drugs or drinking or something!   Here was I thinking what a luverly friendly site this was and then I find that world war 3 breaks out!   Calm down guys - life is way way way to short.

Strange how all sorts of connotations and interpretations happen when you can't hear the tone of voice or see the tongue firmly in cheek.  The failings of just words!!  :-\
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2005, 10:24:35 »
Yes, but as you can quite clearly see, the storm has passed, no need to bring it back.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2005, 11:43:54 »
Yes i agree with YP, we can leave our once a year storm to follow the clouds.
The sun is out now. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
 CHEERS EVERYBODY, 8)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2005, 12:09:26 »
Just like marraige I spose.  Great nearly all the time but the odd tiff makes it all the stronger  ;D....or is that just me!

Didn't mean to be contentious and very happy everyones happy.  Not all sun for ever more though I hope - my lottie has recovered nicely from weeks with no rain!  :D

Luv ya all {A4a people}

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal