Author Topic: Chilli Fiesta  (Read 1523 times)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Chilli Fiesta
« on: August 05, 2005, 11:24:57 »
This weekend 6/7 August at West Dean, West Sussex.  Anyone else planning on being there?  We're hoping to go on Sunday.

www.westdean.org.uk/site/gardens/

Yellow Petals

Re: Chilli Fiesta
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 15:02:45 »
My husband and I really fancied going to that (well, I just wanted to mooch about, but he adores chillis) but feel it's a little too far to drive for us.  Shame really.  Especially after I loaded up the website with all the colourful juicy pics from what I assume was last year's event.  Just looking at Chillis makes my eyes water, yet OH will eat them raw!!  Hmmmm.  :o

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 19:16:41 »
This weekend 6/7 August at West Dean, West Sussex.  Anyone else planning on being there?  We're hoping to go on Sunday.

www.westdean.org.uk/site/gardens/

We just got back.

It was heaving! It was bearable about 11am but by lunchtime it was clogged up with pushchairs and people milling (and stopping dead in narrow walkways). Sampling the many many pickles was difficult as folk just shoved in front of you.

The chilli chocolate was worth buying (it was in the courtyard area of the walled garden) and the walled garden itself was fantastic, with lots of veggies and fruits. (Not organic though - there were telltale blue pellets scattered about!). 

We left at 1.40pm as we couldn't cope with the crowds any more.  Even my hubbie was getting peopled out and that's usually my problem...

I'd post photos but the ones I've got of the crowds have too many close faces to post publicly.

Though this was part of the car park:

so you can see how many folk must have been there assuming at least 2/car.

We bought two plants from a mass-grower, selling them at £3.50 a small pot and £5 a large. Expensive for annuals, but of course one can save seed :)

Also got three packets of seed for next year, and finally found that someone else grows the Purple Venezuelan chillies that I do!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 19:27:35 »
Hi Moonbells.  I remember last year that by about 1pm it started getting horribly full.  It was a sweltering day and there just weren't enough stalls selling cold drinks.  We're going prepared tomorrow with bottles of water in a cool box.

Re your chilli plants, I think EJ managed to over-winter hers last year and they've cropped again this year.  EJ are you there?  How did you do it?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 22:09:41 »
Yes I might try to keep them - have warm conservatory so should work.

Just been reviewing the photos I took of the plants that we liked the look of in the exhibition greenhouse and I forgot to buy Tiny Tim seeds - grrr - so am about to go and look through the catalogues we acquired to see where I can order it from!

(I really like pea-sized very hot chillis)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal