Author Topic: heartbroken  (Read 5577 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Re: heartbroken
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2005, 08:26:47 »
Still no rain, but I'll keep you posted. just grey, grey more grey. My magnolia stellata is dead, 2 berberis, 3 clematis, a few plants I'd bought early on in the year have gone and a ceristigma.Thats of those that I've noticed. I've stopped looking now.   but looking on the bright side, no slugs, no weeds.......
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2005, 08:27:22 »
 ;D Weyhey, it's raining! Wonderful, never thought I'd be so happy to see the rain come. And it's a nice steady, gentle rain, hope my grass will perk up a bit after this now, it was beginning to get large brown patches. But we've got a severe weather warning for our area over the next 24 hours or so, hope we don't have the garden destroyed by heavy rain or hail.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 09:17:52 »
Send it here, please. 915 am and just grey sky and clouds.
I dug a hole yesterday for a post for a bird feeder. The soil was dust to over 18 inches down! It is going to take an immense amount of rain to re-hydrate this soil!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2005, 10:00:58 »
It's moving slowly Palustris, I'm sure it will be with you soon, ideal sort of rain, steady drizzle and it's still raining unlike those "blink and you'll miss it" rainfalls we've been having lately, been raining since about 4am. :)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2005, 10:52:27 »
Its arrived here..well some, but brightening up as we speak. The blackbirds are running around the garden absolutely loving it.

kelso

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2005, 11:06:37 »
It's rushing down hill alongside the house because the drains can't cope. Nothing, then this...amazing! :D
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2005, 13:38:05 »
Has been sort of raining for about 2 hours, but really not enough to do more than lay the dust. It did not stop the cats going out!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2005, 17:17:49 »
About two pminutes after posting this, it started raining properly and (fingers crossed) it is still raining hard now, long may it continue!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2005, 17:28:22 »
Fingers crossed for you, Eric.  We've got that good steady sort of rain here now so I'm hoping everything gets refreshed and that it stays long enough to soak into the soil a bit and the pond perks up a bit too.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2005, 18:34:42 »
Sun has finally come out here in West Sussex, everything looks so clean and bright again, wonderful :D now just to wait for the lawn to go green again and grrrrr no doubt there'll be lots of weeding at the allotment over the next few weeks ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2005, 18:36:04 »
It started throwing it down in North Derbys just as I had to go to the shops  :(  Mind you can't complain - went to an outdoor proms concert last night and it stayed fine.  Got a bit chilly though.  Good job we had to bob up and down as it kept us warm  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2005, 23:21:41 »
Of course it rained in Essex, we had chums over for a barby!  My darling Ava barbied in the rain, and we ate in the conservatory with all the doors open listening to the glorious sound of drizzle!  Going to the plot tomorrow to, hopefully, be greeted by lots of new ermerging seedlings!

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2005, 21:03:44 »
Sorry to hear of your plants dying, Val. Ours are suffering too. Mildew and rust is rife in the garden this year - I've never seen the hollyhocks in such a mess! They're only about 4 feet tall when they're usually about 8 ft! Nearly everything is brown and shrivelled under the spruce trees  :'(  I've tried mulching with homemade compost but the only thing that seems to encourage is more feverfews (there is a large one right next to the compost heap which must be seeding itself in there every year  >:() The only things that are thriving in that bit are the foxgloves and dancing ladies. On the other hand, the roses are weighed down with blooms, but they're out in the open. Pity there are virtually no butterflies around to visit them. No ladybirds either. I must change my deodorant.  :(

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 09:23:06 »
Hi Spurdie, how are you?... Well I'm blowed I would've thought things would be better up there. Oh well I guess I'll just have to grin and bare it...well not grin, thats too much ....I can see trees in peoples gardens with just brown dead leaves hanging there. We had a bit of rain at the weekend, which has saved some but sadly much too late for others. The only thing I can see that has done well is the aphids. I've millions. I guess the plants can't shake them off in their weakened state. They seem to make a strike straight for the plants that look bad.Like you say no butterflies and no ladybirds, I've seen a few hoverflies but no-where near as many as usual.

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 10:13:59 »
Never fear - I have the answer.

I installed a water butt - connected to my drain pipe - at home on Saturday. Now rained every day since.

I predict it will now rain contunuously for the rest of the summer, hence no need for said water butt.
Dawn

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 22:17:25 »
Don't mention GREENFLY  >:( >:( >:( Worst year ever!  >:( >:( >:( We had a misty kind of rain today, but much of the garden is STILL bone dry.  >:( >:( >:( We rescued a poor wee swift today - I've written a wee bit about it on another thread. It's snoozing away in a box with some polystyrene packing chips in the bottom, and a duck glove puppet for company. It was listening to rock n' roll on the radio till it fell asleep (leaning on the little portable radio - aahhh!!!) We caught moths, daddy long legs and other fly-type beasties for it's bedtime snack but it hasn't eaten them, so they'll be its breakfast tomorrow. I thought I might try putting a black sock over my hand and using a pair of tweezers as a "beak". It likes to climb and made a nice deposit down the front of my jumper  :P. Hope it's still alive in the morning!  ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2005, 13:30:50 »
Have your gardens had enough Rain now?   Told you all I would send it to you all cos I was on holiday in North Yorkshire. 

We got home on Fri. and its still raining here and quite hard.  Now when is it going to stop.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2005, 15:23:06 »
Could do with loits more. dry for a couple of days now again, and a bit windy. wouldn't know it rained last week.
Dawn

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2005, 16:53:46 »
Knew I was temptimg fate by posting the above. now - one and a half hours later - the roads are flooded, water butt overflowing  and my pond overflowing. Oh, and my gardening plans up the shoot.
Dawn

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal