Author Topic: heartbroken  (Read 5587 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
heartbroken
« on: July 21, 2005, 18:31:34 »

This is the result of the drought we're having, I have been watering with a watering can but its obviously not enough. I feel really close to tears about it and have lost so many plants now. I gave a good mulch in the spring, I have never ever been this close to jacking it all in and thinking OH might be right, concrete the lot.This has happened for the last 4 years now. Makes me even more determined to move to wetter climes when I'm able.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 18:41:21 by Val »
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: heartbroken
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 18:49:59 »
Us too, we are going to go hungry this Winter. Anne is just freezing the pound of French beans, no beetroot, no chard, no Spring onions, no radishes,no swedes or turnips. I could go on, but what's the point.
We are going to have to find a way of living with and combatting the predicted drought/monsoon type weather.
Unlike those with no hosepipe bans and/or unlimited access to water, we are on a metred supply and pay for what we use. Also we are at the end of the supply line so when all those unentered houses down the lane decide to sprinkle their lawns, we don't even get enough to fill the upstairs tank or use the toilet up there.
It is very very hard to watch your garden crumble to dust despite doing every thing to keep it ticking over.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 19:13:52 »
Yes we're metered too Eric, I try to do my bit, we've got 4 water butts, our area is now an official water scarcity area whatever that may mean, it'll be stand pipes soon. Walking round the garden this evening has made me feel very low and it usually does the opposite, roll on the autumn, we might get good leaf colour, always supposing there are any left....cheerful soul at the moment.... :'( :'(

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 21:54:11 »
I'm very sorry for your and your lack of water.  I really hope you get an appreciable amount of rain soon to relieve your drought.  I feel guilty now for moaning about having to lug water from the free water butt near my plot.  I shan't ever moan again. I am harvesting water though and plan to harvest more but you can't harvest what aint there  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 12:14:46 »
I think I'll look at Beth Chatto's site and find out about drought tolerant plants. I was feeling very sad yesterday, but today is another day and we had a very tiny amount of rain...not enough to wet the ground but enough to renew my faith in it all.As Eric says I'm going to have to let my love of cottagey gardens go and think more hot and dry.to garden with it has got to be the answer.

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 12:23:01 »
There is a good article in this months(August) Gardeners World for dry or non watered gardens.Its got some pretty colour and lots of structure

Don't give up!
Hugs
JO!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 12:27:15 »
We have been moving steadily towards a more shrubby type of garden,as much for ease of gardening as anything. Most of the established ones are holding their own at present. It is newly planted stuff which is causing concern. And by newly planted I mean anything from last September onwards.
One good thing at least we (Anne I should say) does not have to cut the grass. This is the first time in 10 years that the grass has gone yellow.
We have 9 large water butts. This week I have turned each one over to empty out the gunk in the bottom ready for the rain, if it ever arrives.
No damsons, no greengages, no quince, no medlars,90% apple and pear lost. Raspberries good but small and dry. Currants excellent crop. Wait and see for the blackberries.
As Val says, today is another day and the Galtonia viridis are flowering. :)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 12:36:30 »
Does anyone have any idea how much a borehole costs to install? It's probably far too expensive but I'm tired of these hosepipe bans and mains water costs a fortune, it seems silly to be using drinking quality water of which there is a shortage to water the plants with - my waterbutt ran out of water a long time ago.

My other thought was to see if we can divert the bath plumbing to flush into the waterbutts rather than down the drain, in fact, I might see if I can use the hosepipe as a syphon to use bath water to fill the waterbutt.  :-\
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
Borehole costs
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:54:37 »
I not sure for domestic properties but some places I vists for work have them done at about £3k a piece. The water that comes out of the borehole is tied to the water in the river and you'd ahve to pay an abstraction annual fee too.

For info have a look at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Water companies are told by the Environment Agency how much they can abstract from a river without killing off the wildlife in it. So if theres no water in the river, there would be no water to take out a borehole either.

Definitely use bath water, if not too soapy, washing up water if not too greasy and the water you run before it gets hot (I get up to 10 litres this way a day using 4 pint milk cartons next to the sink!!)

Hope this helps
Jo :)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 13:19:24 »
 :o Don't think I'll be having a borehole ;D

I'll try the syphoning of the bath water tonight, it doesn't get too soapy. I didn't think of saving the water that runs away whilst waiting for hot water, our kitchen tap is the furthest point from the hot water tank and it takes ages to get hot, good idea thanks. :)

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 13:37:51 »
Thanks Greenfingers Jo - what a simple yet effective way to collect water, by keeping the run off waiting for the water to get hot!  Like Jessevieve, I've never thought of it but shall be doing so in future - especially considering how much water the tomatoes are needing in this hot weather.   ::)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 14:16:17 »
We have always used the water this way, plus the bath water of course. We have a well, but a. it has been filled up with rubble and would be far too difficult to clear out and b. the water table has dropped so far that there is no water in our neighbours well so probably none in ours either..
As far as a borehole is concerned, apart from the cost, we would not be allowed one (we are on top of a huge artesian well)as the Water company have planning permission for a pumping station in the field next door and you are not allowed to drill within a certain distance of one of theirs.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 14:32:29 »
We had the water butts connected to the bath water but they smelt awful even after one day, its the shampoo it really stinks, so had to connect it to the garage but of course if there's no rain, no water.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 15:17:25 »
Val   It might stink but your plants would probably be glad of it  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 07:14:49 »
 ;D ;DYes but the neighbours would get the plumber out thinking it was the drains.... ;D We could smell it in the house and down the street. It was awful.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 19:30:04 »
Well I hope you have had the rain today. All we have had is cloud and humidity. And to add insult to injury the sun is now shining, right through the window on to the  computer screen.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 19:32:22 »
Same here Palustris, had about 3 spits this morning, then humid and hot, now the sun is shining. I love this weather but some rain would be most welcome.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2005, 19:54:43 »
OH I feel so sorry for you all, losing your plants and vegetables through lack of water.  We seemed to have been having rain here in the Scottish Borders  but..  our soil is like dust as well.  We have no hose pipe ban though and have no Water meter so OH waters the veg. every other night.  I do hope you get a significant amount of rain soon to fill your water barrells and get the much needed water into your soil. 

N.Yorkshire will get it this week, cos I am going there.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 21:03:10 »
This site might be of interest for those looking to re-use water:

http://www.graywater.net/

Jerry

Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 00:58:21 »
I do feel sorry for all you Southern gardeners and allotment holders.  It must be tough and I am filled with admiration at your ingenuity.  The weather forcast looked promising today and tomorrow  for rain in your parts, so I hope it is not too long before your poor parched plants get something substantial to drink.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal