Author Topic: Pests have slaughtered, destroyed peas  (Read 4390 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Pests have slaughtered, destroyed peas
« on: June 28, 2005, 23:37:21 »
Am I doing something wrong,  not doing something I should?

I have tried sugarsnap and ambassador peas and both have been eaten to bits to the point I gave up - from previous descriptions from everyone I think due to pea weevil.   Mange toute (Delikett) doing fine and being cropped though.

I have planted peas in rows as per the seed packet, watered them regularly, tried Derris powder and even praying!   Peas still being slaughtered.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Pests have slaughtered, destroyed peas
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 00:11:08 »
We have also had great problems growing peas in the past, but this year the situation seems to be better.  We grew the peas in modules at home first befor planting out and then my OH put fleece over the pea frame to protect them.  They have now been uncovered and are now firmly established (touch wood) so we are actually hoping for a crop this year. So don't give up hope there are ways and means. :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 06:58:33 »
i
Chris Pea

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 07:02:08 »
 ??? oops nice blank message. I have probs with peas every year great effort for slim pickings but they are delicious. Broad beans a lot less pest friendly and taste great when young or old. ;D
Chris Pea

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 16:11:07 »
I've found peas difficult too but the end result is SO worth it!  This year have a few that seem to be staying the course - I nearly gave up......

fingers crossed!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 16:28:08 »
I have never been able to grow peas before this year, but thanks to fleece I have a healthy looking crop! (looks like it has saved my runners too! ;D )
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 18:06:54 »
Thanks for the message second time round Chris - thought you were suggesting I jump off a bridge with the first one!!  :o

...but yes I have got french and runner beans as well - was just so looking forward to peas.  Hadn't realised how hard they could be to grow.  Still,  live and learn!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 18:08:30 by Icyberjunkie »
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 23:43:50 »

The peas were perfect a few days ago, now have kind of tiny worms in them...  WHAT IS IT?  And would fleece have helped?

I would guess they are the pea moth larva [maggots, caterpillars etc] which hit peas when the weather warms up with some varieties hit worse than others.  I haven't tried fleece but think it is a good idea and will try next year for the later crops.  The pea moth lays her eggs in the open flowers so that's the time to make sure they are protected and I would do a 100% cover up.  Unless it is obvious the whole pod is infected, just take a bit of time when shelling and bin the peas with holes in them.  Don't cook them in the shell unless you are short of protein.......... 8)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 18:27:09 »
We seem to have more wigglies in our peas this year, not that it bothers me, just means we loose 1 or 2 peas per pod....unless the kids pod them for me, in which case we eat them, wigglies and all!  ;D

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 18:44:05 »
Haven't had a single wigglie yet - but I did spray with derris as the peas first began to flower.
Seems to have worked - have a bumper pea crop - I can't keep up with it!

Swede Pea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 02:07:41 »
Had trouble last year when sown direct into ground, out of about 30 sown, only 3 plants emerged, struggled then gave up when about 6" high.  This year I  started them off in toilet rolls (as I do with runners too), 12/12 worked and I planted them out.  They are doing really well, have lost 1 mange tout (also planted 12, but bought as plants) since planting out but all ambassadors are alive and podding as we speak.  I had pea weevil signs too but they only get lowest leaves so make sure your plant is pretty well established before planting out i.e. mine were about 9".

I started growing them up chicken wire as suggested in a trusty allotment book, then a fellow plotter suggested not to as he found a few of his peas were scorched where they had wrapped around the metal in the hot summer sun.  After a lot of fiddling about unravelling them from the wire, they now have pea sticks to climb.  However, I am using chicken wire on other things and it was cool to the touch on a very sunny day a couple weeks ago so not sure if wire would ever get hot enough to scorch leaves.  I reckon they would have been Ok left as they were!

Does anyone know why some pea leaves/stems turn yellow? I've checked my books, not obviously like any diseases but have a feeling it is due to over-watering? I have removed yellow/dead leaves and not watered and now they are doing quite well. Has anyone else found the same thing?  The stems started going yellow too but seem to have recovered now.

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 07:13:30 »
could the yellowing be just the plants reaction to very dry weather self preservation to ensure some of crop is OK?
Chris Pea

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 07:54:44 »
Mine always get chewed in the early stages, but if they come up at all, they get through that stage. My problem this year has been non-germination. I've just replanted one bed, but I made a mistake and got two packets instead of 4 so there's still one to do. I'll have to get a soil thermomenter fot next year; I'm sick of hit and miss. There's still no guarantee against what happened this year, with warm weather followed by a prolonged cold spell, but it should help a bit.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 11:24:32 »
"My problem this year has been non-germination." 

This has been my problem for the past couple of years and on different parts of the plot which makes me wonder if it's the seed.  Last year I tried Monty Don's recommended wide drill method as shown on Gardener's World, with spaced out sowing and got absolutely pathetic results.  This year I reverted back to the way my Grandad showed me with two drills about 8" apart and the seeds sown an inch apart.  That has been a bit better but there are still gaps of 8" - 10" and no sign of anything attacking them from above soil level, such as birds, mice or slimies.  Once up to around 2" high they really motor on which is why I'm about to try and squeeze another crop in this summer.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 12:27:47 »
This is my first year of peas too, and I also have been having a lot of problems - probably had a grand total of 5 or 6 pods so far  >:( Mine have been munched by pests, not too sure if it is slugs or birds, or the 2 working together. Have done 2 batches, the most recent I tried planting out module-sown plants, and these were stripped to the stems within days.

Sowed another batch of a different sort last night, and will direct sow some too - may try covering with fleece as well.

Hopefully will learn what works for next year  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

dave

• Not So New ...
  • born-again peasant
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2005, 12:42:31 »
I'ne never had much luck with peas previously- basically they always come up weedy and sparse and nibbled; then about 20% make it to adulthood and produce a few peas, but not really worth the trouble.
However, this year I have used the technique of planting thickly (about 1.5 inches apart in three rows in a length of standard guttering (with end stops).  Used multipurpose peatless compost. lots of water.  Germinated and grown on in cold greenhouse till about 5-6 inches high and nicely intertwined for mutual support.
End stop then removed, guttering given a knock to loosen, then angled up and allowed to slide down into a trench lined with compost.  Lots more water.

I don't claim any credit for this method- can't remember where I read it but I shall never do it any other way again.
  Got literally 100% germination, excellent crops, and by putting them out late you seem to avoid most pest attack.

I've got four successional sowings under way now.
The best seem to be var. "Canoe" from T&M which are more or less self-supporting when tipping them out and thereafter.

Do try it- it's the "only " way!

dave

discovery

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2005, 14:18:27 »
This year has been my worst for peas, I have resown twice and still have large empty spaces, next year I am going to sprout 50% and the other 50% I am going to soak in parrafin as an old hand has told me that mice wint touch them. Peas are my favourite as well.

sjg12

• Quarter Acre
  • Sunny Morecambe????
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2005, 15:22:38 »
My first year with peas and mine are the same, leggy & nibbled, the ones sown outdoors have done nothing so am trying again sowing in modules in the greenhouse to see if that works. The sugar snap ones are flying away????

Swede Pea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2005, 17:06:06 »
could the yellowing be just the plants reaction to very dry weather self preservation to ensure some of crop is OK?

maybe - but I have a feeling they were going yellow before the really dry weather started, and they were well watered throughout that period but not soaked so maybe it will remain a mystery.....

Swede Pea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2005, 17:21:46 »
I forgot to mention, I worked in well rotted farm manure and a dash of lime before planting this year's peas and runners - the soil is nicely neutral and the peas are doing well.  Top tips - for this time of year, start them off in open/well ventilated greenhouse with regular watering in toilet rolls, then plant out along supports.  If sowing earlier (we did ours in May) again keep in closed greenhouse but be aware of oven-like temps if weather gets hot and make sure door/flap is open if this happens.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal