Author Topic: rent  (Read 26132 times)

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
Re: rent
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2005, 23:20:56 »
London Borough of Merton charges us £7 (£4.90/£3.50 for various concessions) a rod this year, so that's £70 for our 10 rods. We do get water, although we must be near a ban, and a padlock that occasionally works.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2005, 11:58:51 »
Anyone know what Manchester council typically charges? Getting very tempted here... :D

Melanie

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2005, 13:42:01 »
such a variety of costs! ours is £32.50 per year including water. It is very secure - big iron padlocked gates etc... went up from £30 this year apparently (which was the published price on their website) and when I went to sign the paperwork the woman could not apologise enough for the increase in price and said she would understand if I wasn't interested anymore! LOL

still a bargain when you think about how much you spend on fruit and veg in Tescos etc.. !

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2005, 13:55:49 »
Also in Cambridge, £20.80 per annum, water free, toilets on site, eight-foot fence with keycode for gates, store open on fridays and sundays by lottie association (who have also cleared two-thirds of my plot for me). I too thought Cambridge was insanely expensive for everything!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2005, 15:54:08 »
Bizarrely my site apparently has problems with too many vacant plots (there's about 20 free of 202) because it's too far out to the north of the city (10 mins on bicycle from centre of town, no hills). And this is while there's a three year waiting list for the central council sites. I can understand putting your name down for a site across the road, but if you're going to have to travel more than five minutes, why not choose the best facilities? Not that I did, you understand, I just phoned round until someone was nice to me ;)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2005, 19:27:57 »
£33 (about) a year, including water from taps every other 2nd or 3rd plot. Toilets and cafe on site, plus shop weekends and Weds.  Security seems good - padlocked gate and fences erected all round site.  Pay a little extra for the social club - licensed!  All seems like good value to me - especially if I ever actually get reasonable harvests as the veg. we buy is organic, and sooo expensive!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2005, 19:29:14 »
Should have mentioned all the expertise thrown in for free  ;D  I swear I should be paying some of my neighbours a retainer!!

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2005, 21:18:19 »
I feel ripped off  :D I've just signed up to pay £43 a year in Hounslow, no shop, no loos but there IS a water butt right at the end of my plot (which as far as I can figure out somehow fills from the mains) and the neighbours are lovely.

Feeling quite chuffed too, as I got my plot 2 weeks ago when there were 6 available on the site, and now all of a sudden there are no vacancies!  :P

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2005, 11:54:06 »
I love the idea of a licensed social club. I'd never leave the site!

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2005, 13:18:52 »
Wardy, I tend to be one of those people who goes at it like a mad thing :)  However, I'm already starting to realise that I won't get anywhere without a little patience.  As long as by next summer I have something to harvest, I will be happy :>

amphibian

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2005, 00:17:10 »
My council charge £2.50/perch , I have 17 but they only charge me for 15-- so I pay £37.50/annum including water, which is supplied though a mains-fed cistern. There is no security and deer are a menace, the council have just started installing deer fencing, but are insisting the job is done despite a 4' gap at the end of my plot.

I don't have to pay rent till April.

okell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2005, 21:45:44 »
I live in Cumbria and my rent costs me £100 a year as it's not from the council but private and theres no water so I've got 8 water butts going, there are about 10 allotments down the road, but they are so small you can hardly fit anything on them and could have either a shed or a greenhouse not both and its about £25 a year. I prefer the private one as its huge and its a long term contract, lot of work I've only had it three years and no-ones used it for 5 years so very overgrown.

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2005, 09:44:04 »
Ours is in south manchester and costs £14 for a half plot (50x36'). We inherited a shed a about 6 water butts. The site also has piped water, a shop, car access and huge fences all the way round with padlocked gates. The people are great and my allotment neighbours keep forcing produce on us :D
All in all we're very happy!
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2005, 22:50:37 »
In Lancing, West Sussex, ours are £20 per annum  per 5 rod plot (I think this is generally considered to be a half plot), with water at various standpipes/troughs (one on my plot, yippee!), plus padlocked gate. We're not allowed to have sheds (how can I collect rainwater without a sloping roof?) or greenhouses. Has a secure store for tools for £2.50 pa run by the lottie association.

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2005, 21:35:35 »
£28-00 including water for us here in Gateshead. Bargain I think ;D

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2005, 08:43:33 »
Our plot ( if you can call it that football field more like ) is
£42.20 per year. no water, no toilets 1 large rather rotten ex chicken shed and another smaller rather rotten chicken box thing.  It also contains what can only be described as a small wood that over takes about 1/4 of the space. There fore that area can't be used for growing any thing, and we are not aloud to cut any of them down only prune them. :(

Still never mind great shade for the summer if it gets to hot. :)

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2005, 10:57:44 »
We pay 20 quid per plot and have got 3 (stanley in co Durham) water is free and its run by the allotment association  :)
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2005, 16:35:14 »
Love your avatar Flower!  Is that you and Peter??  ;D ;) ;D

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2005, 09:22:49 »
 ;D ;D certainly is E.J
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

paul-ukp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 12:06:03 »
I pay £14 for a plot in Holmer Green, South Bucks. This includes water.

Out of interest I looked up on the internet the cost of allotments at Thurrock where my Mother lives - £75 a plot there !!!  Is there anywhere more expensive? I certainly won't be retiring down there in my dotage.

Paul

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal