Author Topic: Bloody weather  (Read 3314 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Bloody weather
« on: June 12, 2005, 15:51:15 »
Staring at a computer screen again. Just been rained off the lottie absolutely banging it down.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Bloody weather
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 16:35:01 »
Absolutely freezing here - but then, I am in the NE ;D

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 16:38:28 »
Horrible cloudy here in Kent..but please can we have some of your rain...ground cracked wideopen in places, I never have enough compost or manure to stop it and improve the soil, it seems to make no difference once the drought comes.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 16:40:18 »
Agree with Val send some rain down to Tamworth (Midlands) been about 3 weeks or more without any now.
                                                        :'(
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 16:41:27 »
same here
it is so cold and i want to get so much done but grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
god bless car boot's

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 17:11:01 »
coming over nice and grey now so with a bit of luck should have some rain later.  Then want nice sunny weather for end of week and trip to Legoland!!

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 17:19:50 »
My patio tomatoes are loving it!  Same here in East Yorkshire - lots of rain which is good for the stuff I've got on the patio, but not good for getting down to the new lottie to strim the weeds!  We've got it but don't want it, and you lot down south want it but don't have it!  C'est la vie!  :)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 17:30:55 »
Justy, don't know if you collect nectar points but if you do they are worth £5 for 250 instead of the normal £2.50 when paying for  legoland admission.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 18:06:31 »
Grey, grey, grey, grey. Thats all it is. It isn't even raining which would make up for it being grey! So much for flaming June.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 19:20:57 »
Just hoping the rain lashes down tomorrow & Tuesday while I'm at work and hopefuly sunshine Weds, Thurs, Friday

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 19:43:22 »
I'm thinking I might ask for money off next year's allotment as every time I step foot on the place, it absolutely tips down!  That's got to be worth a few bob of anybody's money  ;D

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 19:44:38 »
It was a washout here in Cleveland.  :( We had so much planned to do. It better not be sunny tomorrow while we are at work, that would just be too much!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 23:37:29 »
Essex wants rain please!  Driazabone!  Ground cracked and I dug a patch on plot number 2 and the ground is bone dry a good 4 inches down.  AAGGHH. 

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 04:07:18 »
Hi All,
         Welcome to global warming, Scotland as had rain comming out of its ears and England with its chalk soil is as dry as a bone. Unfortunately we scots don't get the high temperatures to go with the rain that would make for excellent crops.

There are no winners in this situation!!!! :-[

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 12:58:22 »
It's very cold and windy in Cheshire as well.  I looked at the thermometer in the cold frame at lunch time yesterday and it was barely above 10 degrees compared with almost 30 degrees last Thursday.  Can't say it's any warmer today.  Some decent rain yesterday afternoon which was quite welcome. 

It's just the sort of weather that you don't mind looking out at from behind the desk and think what a good move it was not to book today off!  No wonder the plants are confused.
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 13:20:32 »
We need rain (essex/London border). It was cloudy all weekend and we even got some pretty angry skies, that I hoped might open up. But no.

The beds and borders are all dry and even the root and allium bed (which is watered about twice/thrice a week) was cracked on Saturday. I even saved my bath water to water the ornamental borders (I rarely need to water those, especially not this early in the year!)
gone to pot :D

mitzzy

• Quarter Acre
  • Organic goddess
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 14:53:07 »
here in Fife it's dull and looks like it will rain soon .May be nip over and see whats happening .
 weeds , weeds and more weeds !
Cold as well :(

Mags
new allotment owner excuse my ignorance !

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 17:49:44 »
we managed some work yesterday before being forced to pack up due to rain.

Normally, we would have been well p*ssed off (or just annoyed, if you prefer!) at having to go home early but the rain was so badly needed we did a little dance before retiring for an early tea!

Today is overcast which, hopefully, means that the ground will not have been baked dry - should find out in an hour or so.
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 19:17:51 »
weather here is bristol has been nice today apart from the wind very windy , has not really been a bad weekend no rain, just a  bit cloudy

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 19:25:03 »
Last two days the temp has not gone into double figures. And as far as rain is concerned, well my rain gauge has nothing in it at all.  So for the last 4 weeks we have had less than half a centimetre of rain. We are on metered water so watering with hosepipe becomes a little expensive after a while. Lost at least one of the trees in the New Forest, a variegated Sweet Chestnut has failed to grow any new leaves and the buds have crisped, despite watering. The souil on the veg patches is dry to at least 6 inches and everything is just standing still or drooping.
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal