Author Topic: Tomato cuttings.  (Read 4078 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Tomato cuttings.
« on: April 29, 2010, 20:30:05 »
I am going to take some cuttings from a sun baby tomato. There are about 6-8 of them. Do they need to go in a heated propagator & can they go in a single pot? Some of them are not very big but I need to get it planted & want to plant it deep & that is where some of them are.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Tomato cuttings.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 20:35:29 »
No they do not need to..but it helps..
yes they can go in a single pot....if they are big enough not to drown you could do it in class of water too.. ;)
I put mine in jiffys..then they do not need disturbing anymore and after rooting you can put them straight into larger container/ground if needs to be..

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 20:40:54 »
glass of water + 1 week.

If only everything else was so simple  :D

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 21:17:32 »
How big does the parent plant need to be before taking cuttings?

Neil

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 21:22:39 »
If you parent plant has produced big enough cuttings for you to handle...
then it is big enough ;)
...what I took cuttings from are about 10" tall but as they are bush tomatoes they tends to make side shoots early on..and those are about 2"-3"

Corribee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 21:23:26 »
I took the side shoots from tomatoe plants last year, put them in water.  They were far stronger than the plants grown from seed and gave a good amount of fruit.  Waited until the shoots were apx 4" long before I took them.  Put them in water, they were well rooted in about 3 weeks.  I have recently bought a tomato plant just to use for side shoots.

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 21:25:52 »
Now's the right time to be doing this - cuttings you are taking in late July ain't going to do much before the season is over. Sure you knew that anyway!
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 21:29:33 »
I was just wondering because i've recieved some plants from JayB, and after reading this thought I might be able to multiply them. They are only about 4" high.

Neil

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 21:33:14 »
Yep, just don't be too hasty to pinch off those side shoots..you can let them go a bit and then return back into law and order... ;)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 21:44:06 »
Thanks.  :)

Neil

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 07:40:56 »
..what I took cuttings from are about 10" tall but as they are bush tomatoes they tends to make side shoots early on..and those are about 2"-3"

Can you successfully take cuttings from bush tomatoes then?  I thought it was just the vines.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:06:26 »
Yes you can take from bush too... ;D..and I often do...it is quicker way to get more plants and quicker to get them to fruit too than doing it all from seed... ;D

amphibian

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 19:40:08 »
..what I took cuttings from are about 10" tall but as they are bush tomatoes they tends to make side shoots early on..and those are about 2"-3"

Can you successfully take cuttings from bush tomatoes then?  I thought it was just the vines.

I often use the lower branches from bush varieties, because they drag on the ground if left on.

greensausage

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 21:34:11 »
All this makes very interesting reading, I didnt know you could do it with bush varieties.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 02:28:41 »
The only problem with taking cuttings from a bush variety is you are in effect pruning it which would mean loss of fruit on the parent plant.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 22:42:51 »
This will be the third year that I have taken sideshoots as cuttings. Remember that the cuttings are the same age as the parent plant and will fruit within a few days of the parent.

When I worked in forestry there was a forester who took a cutting from the top of a cedar tree and grafted it onto a root stock, they were then able to pick the cones standing at ground level.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 07:04:11 »
As said in the other thread, I wiat till they are non-bendy, dip in rooting powder & plant up.  They are the ones that go to the Village plant sale.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 07:43:07 »
Tim could you tell me how long they are at that stage. I have never bothered to do this before but am doing so now.Thank you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 08:09:16 »
[ Remember that the cuttings are the same age as the parent plant and will fruit within a few days of the parent.[/quote]
I rooted sideshoots for the first time last year (after reading about them on here, natch!) and the subsequent plants (from Ailsa Craig) extended my picking season into December, they were weeks behind the parent plant - maybe because I didn't start doing it till June?  Whatever, I'm going to do it again this year, including trying with bush varieties.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 08:10:01 »
Sorry I didn't get the quote right. How do you get it to appear in that shaded box?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal