Author Topic: Try This  (Read 4989 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Try This
« on: September 03, 2008, 22:13:37 »
I have a hand pump spray which i keep full of Lemon Zest washing up liquid mixed with water. I keep it handy for when the Cabbage White appears and spray my veg to deter it from landing on it. The other day a host of them appeared so i started spraying then i noticed every cabbage white i got with the spray went straight to the ground and remained there, they could not take of again.
The mixture of the soap and the powder on their wings makes them to heavy to take off thus making them easy prey for the bottom of a boot.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Try This
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 18:16:17 »
Soap solution will kill any insect; it's sometimes used to kill bee colonies. They're covered with a thin layer of wax; the soap dissolves this, and the insect dries out and dies.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 18:25:21 »
Trouble is, the cabbage whites all b****r off when they see me coming, so it's just the caterpillars left for me to deal with  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
The Tuscan Beaneater

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 18:42:00 »
No -  it's the EGGS. Get them & save SO much backache?

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 20:39:41 »
I heard the tip first on here somewhere, that cabbage whites won't lay eggs on leaves that smell of lemon. I've tried it this year and there's been no sign of a caterpillar anywhere. Not sure of the science behind it but if it works as well next year I shan't delve too deeply into the science.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 22:09:24 »
I heard the tip first on here somewhere, that cabbage whites won't lay eggs on leaves that smell of lemon. I've tried it this year and there's been no sign of a caterpillar anywhere. Not sure of the science behind it but if it works as well next year I shan't delve too deeply into the science.

Geoff.

what did you do spray with lemon juice watered down or ..... please tell me more

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 23:01:10 »
Lemon scented concentrated washing up liquid (Morrisons' own), at about the same dilution as you'd use for washing up. I've sprayed them four or five times altogether. You only need to do the undersides of the leaves.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 23:03:18 by euronerd »
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 00:56:10 »
thanks for that, i'll give it a try.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 11:48:21 »
Need a reminder to bump up this topic at the appropriate time next year  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 16:16:59 »
oh yes sweet justice, courtesy of boiled rhubarb leaf tea and a few squirts of lemon scented washing up soap. Hee Hee Hee while rubbing hands in glee  ;D

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 21:00:29 »
Where do I buy Lemon Zest from please,  don`t seem to see any  around here, will any lemon w/up liquid do. 

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 18:44:18 »
I'm guessing here, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't add some lemon juice to standard washing up liquid.

Geoff.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 19:52:09 »
Where do I buy Lemon Zest from please,  don`t seem to see any  around here, will any lemon w/up liquid do. 

I use Fairy Lemon Zest.

I'm guessing here, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't add some lemon juice to standard washing up liquid.

Geoff.

Geoff, I dont think it will retain the smell as long as the washing up liquid
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 19:54:07 by davyw1 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 20:15:38 »
You're probably right davyw. It's more than likely they use natural or synthetic oil. The bottle just lists it as 'perfume'  ;D

Geoff.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 21:50:51 »
what about lemon essential oil that would definitely hold its smell.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 00:09:13 »
Can't see why not thifas but it's an added cost. The cabbage whites won't be with us much longer this year so you might have found some lemon scented washing up stuff by the time they next appear.  ;D

Geoff.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:22 »
But how do you keep up with the spraying when you have all that rain over there??
Doesn't it just wash off?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 22:35:07 »
I don't suppose anyone is keeping up right now. We've been having torrential showers at intervals all day.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 22:54:23 »
Grannie you only need to spray the underside of the leaves where the eggs are laid so I suppose it doesn't get washed off as fast. I only sprayed mine four or five times the whole season.

Geoff

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 01:33:35 »
Grannie you only need to spray the underside of the leaves where the eggs are laid so I suppose it doesn't get washed off as fast. I only sprayed mine four or five times the whole season.

Geoff
Considering all the rain you folks enjoy, that application rate isn't bad.  Next year we'll give it a whirl.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal