Author Topic: Basil.  (Read 1743 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Basil.
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:09:51 »
I have lots of basil growing in modules. IS this best planted out individually? It looks a bit 'lonely' ::) Or should I put them close together?

cj :)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Re: Basil.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:41:47 »
Having used the same method carolinej, I too was tempted to plant basil close together. But I found with the odd plant dying and the gap widening to 6-inches between plants the basil had room to bush. Final height about a foot! They will get big if you let 'em.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:54:44 »
I tend to clump plant mine because it gets eaten so quickly anyway but if you have lots then why not try both methods and let some grow onto bigger bushes - depends on the variety anyway as some are quite small and others really big and bushy

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:27 »
basil doesn't transplant very well. I grow it like in the pots from Tesco, and as they (hopefully) get bigger, thin out the plants

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 15:18:53 »
basil doesn't transplant very well. I grow it like in the pots from Tesco, and as they (hopefully) get bigger, thin out the plants

2nd attempt, last lot of typing went off into the ether somewhere :'( :'(

RT, basil might not like transplanting, but it does root very easily.

If you buy a pot from a supermarket, you cut the tops out, which encourages the plant to bush out.  The tops you have taken out of the plants, you put in a bowl of water, and they well root very readily.

You pot up the rooted cuttings, and repeat the exercise, ie take the tops out of the rooted cuttings, put in a bowl of water to root, etc, etc.

You have basil throughout the summer for very little expense.  In fact it's easier than trying to grow it from seed.

I picked up this tip from an Aussie Women's Weekly cookbook, and believe me - it works.

valmarg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 15:32:10 »
yes thanks Valmarg - someone told me similar last year. Never thought about it before, with basil being a perennial . Didn't say anything because I haven't tried it yet. think I'll grow basil your way a la Tesco, as my basil seedings haven't grown at all

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 16:28:13 »
That's certainly worth a try.

I normally sow it singly in pots - quick to germinate - & pot on as needed. I find that 5 plants, up to 10" tall, more or less last us the season.

But can't grow it outside.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 17:03:16 »
Thanks everyone ;D

I'll try far apart and close spacing.

Also like the Tesco idea.

adekun

• Not So New ...
    • adekun.com - growing vegetables in Japan, recipes and info
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 00:19:11 »
I spent loads on basil plant replacements last year. What ever I did, most died. I think it was the odd heavy downpour that really did it. Kept the seeds though but reluctant to plant them out.  :-\ Half a dozen has got to be better than one.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 00:40:38 »
A lot depends on the variety I grow 24 types & they vary drastically from 6" tall with small leaves for a variety like Ocimum Basilicum (Minette) to 8' tall with 4-6" leaves for Ocimum Gratissimum (East India Basil).

All types of basil are perennial if you can keep them frost free but they tend to go woody if you don't trim them regularly.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 07:45:33 »
baccy man, do you eat a lot of basil, or do you grow it for fun?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 08:21:52 »
Minette is a very good one

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 08:44:21 »
I grow about 5 varieties and they do germinate very quickly but they love the heat as most mediterranean herbs do and I couldn't put it outside either

really worth trying the specials such as cinnamon or the purple

as you tend to use a good handful at a time it doesn't last long in our house  :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:52:09 »
baccy man, do you eat a lot of basil, or do you grow it for fun?

I have a brother with pesto sauce addiction.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal