Author Topic: Digging  (Read 3116 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Digging
« on: December 09, 2006, 12:49:18 »
Tried out a 'Terex' spade for the first time today - wow was I impressed. To summarise, I found I was digging at least twice as fast, with no limiting back pain. Normally, I would dig about 20 sq yds on any single day, this being a physical limit before soreness. However, today I managed 50 in less time, and only had to stop because of limited time. Seems a shame these are no longer made, so they can only be acquired via charity shops etc.

A normal spade is still needed for doing tidy edges etc, but the time and effort saved are well worth it in my opinion.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Digging
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 13:57:03 »
What is a terex spade? Havnt heard of one before. How does it differ from others?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 14:50:28 »
;) I've never heard of it either and at £150  :o  they can keep it, out of interest Curry what did you pay for yours?  :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 15:28:58 »
No money crossed palms when I got mine, but I am aware that they are considered valuable in good condition, which makes me concerned about leaving it in my shed ...

It fits in well with my other 'interesting' tools, my homemade stirrup hoe, and my homemade parsnip/leek dibber ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 15:59:20 »
when I last looked, the average price they sold for was £35 ... just keep looking, especially if they've spelt the name wrong you might get a bargain - I've seen terrax, terrex, terex and terax. This one looks lovely but I think they're a little optimistic! :o

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 16:03:35 »
I think the registered name is Terex, as I have seen that on the side of a digger, but I certainly wouldn't want to argue the case ...  :D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 16:10:11 »
Wolf Terrex Autospade I think is the correct name. My mum used to swear by hers.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 16:44:02 »
i must say my spears fork is making light work of digging!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 17:59:15 »
The lovely old boy whos garden I am currently clearing has a terrex autofork in his garage that is immaculate!  He can no longer garden - thus I am clearing now and turfing the lot in spring.  He is planning to dump most of his gardening 'stuff' so I will ask him about it.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 12:41:29 »
Just an update, completed three quarters of my 600 sq yd plot this morning, the last quarter being still planted. So apart from small patches here and there, my winter digging is essentially finished  :D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 14:24:20 »
For the prices they are, nearly had a heart attack. Will stick with labour and a spade! Unless I got one on the cheap of  course
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 19:58:07 »
KT if Curry digs it so fast maybe he'll lend it to us or better still he may come and do it himself, what do you reckon Curry.   :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :P

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 20:01:19 »
If you were local (Coventry) then I would not be averse to you trying it, but you will probably find another gardener on your site has one, if you are lucky, then they may be thinking of getting rid of it ...

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 20:06:07 »
I'll get right on to that Curry.   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal