Author Topic: No Dig Spud Bed  (Read 2621 times)

craftyparsnip

• Not So New ...
    • little gems allotment
No Dig Spud Bed
« on: December 22, 2006, 13:56:58 »
Hi, i have had my lottie for a few months now, and i am digging it over at the moment (couch) has anyone grown spuds the no dig way - compost down then lay the sod over the top.
I read that this is a good way to clear ground, thought this would be good so i can concentrate on my beds getting the couch roots up any views on this would be appreciated.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: No Dig Spud Bed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 14:05:12 »
that's one of the things we're going to do this coming year, worth a try /, anyway, can't do any harm  ;D

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 18:40:59 »
I tried it later in the year and it worked well but make sure you cover well or they will go green. I used grass cutting on them and they like it. Watch out for slugs too.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 18:48:22 »
I put them as deep as I can with a trowel and put several inches of grass cuttings over the top. They do fine.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 19:20:31 »
I'm tempted to try this method, but the couch is so bad I've had to resort to digging it out bit by bit. I'm worried that if I leave it as it is and manure on top, it will simply grow even more. I inherited a two baths full of 'compost' on my plot, when I started digging it out it was completely riddled with couch and bindweed....took me ages to sift through it all... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 19:29:19 »
Hello Wendy and welcome.  There is a member here called Supersprout who has posted lots of advice recently about the no dig method.  It's well worth a read (by using the search facility). 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 19:30:03 »
I used black plastic for the first season and grew spuds through it without clearing the cooch. At the end of the season there was a spud harvest plus loads of fat white cooch roots to gather off the surface. From then on I mulch with organic stuff. If weeds come through your mulch, it's not thick enough - put on more! ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 19:33:37 »
Spooky!   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 22:52:55 »
I'm tempted to try this method, but the couch is so bad I've had to resort to digging it out bit by bit.

You need to get the couch out before you try any no-dig method except (possibly) lasagne beds. These are supposed to kill perennial weeds but I wouldn't have too much faith in it for real nasties.

craftyparsnip

• Not So New ...
    • little gems allotment
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 00:05:23 »
Thanks everyone - Need to think this one over more...

Merry Christmas

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 06:38:40 »
I'm tempted to try this method, but the couch is so bad I've had to resort to digging it out bit by bit. I'm worried that if I leave it as it is and manure on top, it will simply grow even more. I inherited a two baths full of 'compost' on my plot, when I started digging it out it was completely riddled with couch and bindweed....took me ages to sift through it all... ::)

The Garden Organic mag (Oct? Nov?) had a great feature on clearing a new plot with extreme mulching - weed suppression with a layer of cardboard (or thick newspaper) covered with 'lasagne' like Robert says. Good article, really encouraging, excellent pics :)

I can't dig or weed - not bendy :P - so have to cultivate without either.

No-dig: summer

No-dig: winter

Extreme Mulching now, sounds erm, energetic and sporty don't it ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 10:35:29 by supersprout »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 11:19:51 »

Extreme Mulching now, sounds erm, energetic and sporty don't it ;) ;D ;D

Sounds brilliant!!  ;D ;D ;D

Though with all your renowned mulching, what would be the difference between 'ordinary' and 'extreme' mulching. How many (ahem!) inches are we talking about here?? ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 11:25:42 »
Up to 8 inches ;) - it soon disappears, just keep topping up :)

lady inches :P

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 12:26:26 »
I use that sort of depth over spuds and rhubarb, which can cope with it, but most crops get more like two inches. Not much will come up through eight inches!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 13:37:35 »
:) Georgie do you live in Enfield? I have a friend in Birkbeck Road. :D :D ;D ;D ;D .
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 13:40:47 »
I use that sort of depth over spuds and rhubarb, which can cope with it, but most crops get more like two inches. Not much will come up through eight inches!

That's so true - it takes a very determined weed to get through eight inches!
I gradually build up the depth as the plants grow - like earthing up, but with mulch :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 13:43:02 by supersprout »

craftyparsnip

• Not So New ...
    • little gems allotment
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 19:24:46 »
Thought i might give this a try,  i`m  not convinced though - it would mean less digging....

http://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/tech/lazybedpics.htm
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 19:43:48 by wendy »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 20:15:54 »
Hi wendy, f you search on 'lazy bed' in the forum quite a few peeps do this - so there must be something in it! IMO that bed looks 'unfinished' and just asking for weeds without a g**d th*ck m*lch :-X ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal