Author Topic: Anything I can plant this late?  (Read 1412 times)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
Anything I can plant this late?
« on: December 21, 2006, 21:11:58 »
Hi all! Been working hard at just digging and chopping. I have a turned area that was going to be for the shed but can now use it for planting because the shed is going elsewhere, so figured maybe I could get something in even though it's late? Is there anything I can gstill get in? I've been told possibly garlic and onions but now we've had a frost I think (I'm never up early enough to know if there actually has been one these last few really cold nights). Broad beans are in. I'm open to any and all suggestions. :)

Tina.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Anything I can plant this late?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 21:23:10 »
Garlic and shallots for certain. Forget the onions till spring; they need to establish themselves before it turns cold. If you've got a greenhouse you can be thinking about the first sowings, but it'll be a few weeks yet. Time to drool over the catalogues. Some of the obscurer and more difficult flower seeds can go in now, and just be left until they finally make up their minds to germinate.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 21:26:02 by Robert_Brenchley »

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 22:45:03 »
I put a second batch of garlic in today, buried a little deeper than the first lot which went in late October.  Also got some raspberries in their growing positions and moved some strawbs.  I reckon its got to be worth trying anything which you're happy to risk losing.
Matt

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 22:50:44 »
Got too deep a frost here in north east so I cant put anything ust yet.  :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:20:03 »
To be honest, I think you've had it for autumn sowing.  Anything you put in now will be at great risk of being eaten and/or nipped by frost before it becomes sufficiently well established.  Better to wait for the spring.

It is, though, the season for planting fruit bushes and trees, if you have a fancy for them.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 10:48:30 »
If you have any cover, plastic or glass you can start some early stuff off..
 8)

timelady

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 13:40:07 »
Don't have any cover but fruit bushes sounds interesting... might look into that. Will put in garlic and shallots for now, I don't mind if I lose stuff. Worth a try I figure. :)

Tina.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 19:46:05 »
If you have any cover, plastic or glass you can start some early stuff off..
 8)

Yes, after the Solstice it's early! for 2007! ;D

timelady

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 22:08:19 »
Well, two rows of garlic in today. :) So I'll either have none or a heck of a lot! s'okay, I have enough people to give it away to. Very pleased, and got a couple more big bramble roots out too. I'm digging my beds very haphazardly so have picked the next bit to dig and maybe think about rubarb.

Tina.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal