Author Topic: walla walla onions  (Read 11294 times)

davejg

• Half Acre
walla walla onions
« on: August 22, 2011, 19:14:35 »
When is the best time to sow these? i keep readind stuff about them being overwintering

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: walla walla onions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 20:10:26 »
I have grown these for years.

they will grow from a fall/autumn planting(late August) and a Spring one. The fall one is best, the onions are sweeter  and bigger when over wintered.

So mild that they can be munched raw.

300 days fall sown,125 days Spring sown roughly.

A really great onion although not a good keeper

It is quite a local onion to me and is OK overwintered at temps which have a normal low of -10f/-23c

Mine are going in anyday now.
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 21:08:35 »
where has anyone found seeds or sets for these. I love sweet onions

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 21:40:31 »

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 21:52:56 »
thank you goodlife for that. sweet onion addiction about to be fed

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 22:28:29 »
Good for you, you won't be looking back, you will munch them like an apple if overwintered.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 22:30:23 »
ok question time now. If I get them as seeds, do I propgate them first and plant the as seedlings in a month or so , or do I put the seeds in direct

Never ever done an onion from seed let a,lone for overwintering :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 22:54:49 »
This is what I do..

Sow 3 seeds to a 72 cell sowing tray.When up usually with 10 days, transplant  each clump spacing 6 inches apart,in fertile,well drained soil.Or sow 5 seeds and remove two, you want to end up with three seedlings per cell.

Or direct seed  in a row then thin to 4 inches apart in February.

You can also start in bigger pots then transplant each seedling seperatley but I find the first one works just fine and they grow quite well like that.

XX Jeannine

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 23:42:22 »

Sow 3 seeds to a 72 cell sowing tray.When up usually with 10 days, transplant  each clump spacing 6 inches apart,in fertile,well drained soil.Or sow 5 seeds and remove two, you want to end up with three seedlings per cell.

You can also start in bigger pots then transplant each seedling seperatley but I find the first one works just fine and they grow quite well like that.

XX Jeannine

Jeannine, can I just check...as I was planning to sow some Florence Onions tomorrow....3 per module and plant out the clump of three as a whole?

If singly, are the smaller root-trainers good for this?

By modules is it those ones with little pointy cells?

If so, would this work with leeks as well?
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:38:26 »
The ones I use are quite small almost cone shaped minus the tip.Then yes I plant the little module in the hole with the three little plants in which is why I give them 6 inches rather than 4, They grow just fine like this and it saves all the hassle of transplanting tiny plants. Some folks do more than three but I find this is best for me. I have never done it with leeks so can't answer that one.I think the root trainers would work just fine but I would think they are too expensive  to do alot of onions. I will try to find you a picture of the ones I use. XX Jeannine

Pictured is a 60 from the Uk and a US 72 both are OK
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:55:56 by Jeannine »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:57:27 »
Interesting to read they can be autumn sown I just assumed they were spring sown, which is what I've been doing until now..... thanks
Those cell growing trays look pretty similar to ones I have used for onions, spring onions and leeks. They seem an ideal size and it is really easy to pop the plug out and then plant them in a bed.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:10:03 »
I understand now. That's super. Thanks for taking the time to do this :)
Jackie

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:22 »
Thanks for this Jeannine. Im going to order my seeds now and hopefully enjoy a onionfest next year :)

davejg

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 18:54:40 »
Yes, thanks Jeannine, I will get some in over the weekend. Really glad asked now, will give some florence a go to.  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 19:05:07 »
Oh good, I have been trying to spread the word about Walla Walla for years, it is a very different onion to most and I love it..
it grows really well in the Pacific North West (PNW) as originally from Walla Walla in Washington just over the border from me. Of course they say there that it only grows the very right way in Walla Walla itself but they do just fine for me and everyone else who grows them here.

Let us know how you get on

XX Jeannine

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 20:25:30 »
Oh wy oh wy am I so easily misled?  Reading posts about walla walla - now can't decide whether to cancel myordeer for my overwintering sets.

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 20:37:58 »
Ooh I am tempted ... Was about to do red florence, I have loads of seed, but these sound gorgeous. I like a sweet onion.

Please, how short is short-keeping?  Maybe I will do a short row to over-winter?

Thanks  :)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 21:07:58 »
Morris, have pm'd you :)
Jackie

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:57 »
my wolla wolla seeds arrived today so looking forward to them :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 11:48:29 »
Gosh..your order arrived quickly..where did you end up ordering them from?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal