Author Topic: which food mixer  (Read 18093 times)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
which food mixer
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:49 »
Not sure where to ask, but thought you can use a mixer with your recipes ;D

I want a food mixer(not proccesor) and wondered if an old kenwood like A901 or a modern http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4233251/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7C14418476%7CSmall+kitchen+appliances%7C14418587/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418587%7CFood+processors+and+mixers%7C14418606.htm for the same price would be better.

I can't afford or warrant paying over £100 so a new Kenwood is out of my price range.

Neil

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: which food mixer
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:27:24 »
I too was a bit taken aback by the prices of Kenwood mixers, but wanted one for bread making.  Last November, I bought a KM200 on eBay for £65 (inc delivery), and it was and is superb.  It still had the original Kenwood sticky labels on it, so little had it been used.  In fact, the only problem was that the rubber feet had perished, but they were replaced for a few quid.  It had clearly been a present to someone, and had sat unused in a cupboard for years.

There are loads of such bargains about.  They're not quite as powerful as the latest "Titanium" range, but are more than up to any sensibly sized domestic task.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kenwood-Chef-KM200-Stainless-Bowl-Liquidiser-/150486614097?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Mixers&hash=item2309b38051

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kenwood-Chef-Classic-KM400-410-/180554541129?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Mixers&hash=item2a09e3a849 (pick up only N London)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RETRO-KENWOOD-CHEF-FOOD-MIXER-KM201-TOOLS-WORKING-/140446730801?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Mixers&hash=item20b3470a31 (slightly shabby but will be a bargain)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kenwood-KMC560-Chef-Premier-Mixer-RRP-250-NR-/330468418471?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Mixers&hash=item4cf173e3a7 (might go for too much money)

and many more.  There are plenty of good old Kenwood 901s that go for almost nothing.  I wouldn't go for a 700 series, though, which are getting very long in the tooth.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 13:29:51 »
Thanks very much for taking the time to post the links. I have been watching some of them and know the A901 has a very good name, it usually sells for about £50-£80.

I'll keep looking.

Neil

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 19:24:55 »
We have a Kitchen Aid, which we love.  It came with  pasta roller/cutter attachment.  There are loads more attachments you can buy, as with the Kenwood.

Having bought a Kitchen Aid I would not swap for a Kenwood.  But I think it's down to 'what works for you', and what you've got/bought.

As with anything, there are pros and cons.  You pays your money and you makes your choice.

I think there is very little between them.  They both do a very good job.  If you want to decide between them, flip a coin. ;D

valmarg

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 19:53:37 »
 I have a very very od Kenwood that I bought from UK ovr 40 years ago and had the motor changed, It's the pale blue trim,,,, Also have a newer one but really it also is old, this one has the dark blue trim and was the last one of it's kind before the electronic ones came in.  I also have a Kitchenaide that my daughter gave me not too long ago,,, she is picking it up on her next visit and she is going to sell it, I hate it.
 I also have Eletrolux DLX, fabulous machine, can't say enough good things about it................ my 2c worth,,,,,,qahtan

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 20:08:33 »
Qahtan why do you hate your kitchen aid. I would like to know because its on my list of when I can afford it *must haves*

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 20:31:03 »
 as you may have notice I do bake o lot.
 my very first mixer was Kenwood Minor, it did what I wanted , I thought the machine was fabulous, I was then a newly wed, almost 54 years ago.
 When I came to Canada I upgraded to the bigger Kenwood which did my cakes etc also the odd loaf of bread,,,My husband bought the other Kenwood because t was a good price and the other one was, well, getting on a bit.....
 Then I bought the DLX, so much power and strength, it truly is a work horse,,,, I don't want to have to make bread every couple days so with the DLX I can do 6 plus if I want with no problem,  I only have a couple of attachments for it but then I have a bunch of things for my Kenwoods  that get used quite a bit, and they are  there if I need them. collected over the years,,,, BTW the attachments I have for my Kenwoods do not fit the new machines.
 The juicer gets used every day for fresh orange juice, apart from the actual machine being good if and when I want make bread.
Then along came plonk,,, the KA,,, to my mind, it just doesn't have enough ooomph for what I want, in particular after the DLX, or even the Kenwood.
 unless you go for the top of the line, and to me if I had the money for that I would go for the DlX. ,, as I said earlier just my 2 cents worh, qahtan
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/electroluxvideo.html

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 20:34:13 by qahtan »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 21:26:15 »
If I were you Duke, and based on personal experience, go for the Kitchen Aid.

We have bought Kenwood appliances in the past and they have been rubbish.  Our first food processor was a Kenwood.  The bowl cracked, and the blade dropped to bits.

The Kitchen Aid is made in America.  The Kenwood is not made in the UK anymore, but somewhere halfway up the hindu kush ;D

valmarg

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 23:54:15 »
I also like my Kitchen Aid.  I have been a cake decorator most of my married life (45 years) and have for the last 20 years made wedding/celebration cakes in quantity in a KA with no problems. I previously had a Kenwood (probably bought in the first 5 years of marriage and that also did the job, but gave it away when it sounded like a bearing was going and couldn't afford to be without one, so that's when I bought the Kitchen Aid. (incidentally, the Kenwood is still going strong, was wrong about the bearing!). Nothing wrong with either (unless you happen to be unlucky and get a 'monday morning' machine which gives you trouble, and that can happen with any applicance!)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 03:18:57 »
The Kitchenaid is well out of my price range.
If I buy new I think either the Kenwood Patissier or Andrew James they are both within budget and I don't need all the extras that come with the chef's. If I can get a second hand A901 cheap then I might get that instead.

Anyone heard of either of these?
Reviews
Kenwood Patissier http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Patissier-MX275-Mixer-Litre/dp/B000779US4

Andrew James http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Electric-Stand-Mixer/dp/B001KO187O/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1283739295&sr=1-1

Neil

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 16:31:28 »
Just turned on QVC and had the last two minutes of the show, guess what todays special value item is......
kitchenaid with slicer and icecream attachment for £361.20 or 3 x £120.40 http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.frames.y.tpl.uktsv.item.tsv.cm_scid.TSV?cm_re=Hero-_-TSV-_-Image:831740
The classic can be bought for £260+£70(ice cream)+£65(shredder), so QVC works out cheaper.

At a push I can afford to do the 3x payments but is it really worth paying out for?
I'm determined to make more stuff at home to save money.
I'm so confused what to choose Kitchenaid or one of the other two ???

Neil

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 16:39:28 »
Hi Nilly

I am like you. I am still undecided but I quite like the look of this one....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KMX54-Stand-Mixer-Peppercorn/dp/B0014IOAK8/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1283787393&sr=1-2

Of course it comes in other colours.

Duke

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 16:39:44 »
 I can tell you My daughter bought a used Kitchenaide made by Hobart
 It's old and had been outside all summer, remember this is made by Hobart
 she got it for $30... took it home switched it on and it worked....
 Wants a good clean and polish she said but $30.....
 it's a Hobart... qahtan

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 16:54:11 »
ps this one also looks good more compact and not so expensive
I want one mainly for cake making.
That Andrew James one has a powerful motor too !!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Prospero-Compact-KM265-Stand/dp/B001HZVZQK/ref=dp_cp_ob_kh_title_2

Duke

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 17:00:26 by Duke Ellington »

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 17:06:04 »
Make things more confusing for me ;D

I can't make up my mind to either buy a cheaper mixer just for cakes/bread or a more expensive better built one.

Neil

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 17:22:54 »
I bought a mid priced one from Dixons last year and returned it. It wasn't very stable and it was useless at mixing smaller quantities because the beater didn't reach the bottom of the bowl!! I know now that I want I more expensive one. I am hoping that the one I buy now will outlive me  :P :D ...so I am going for eitherthe Kenwood KMix or the Kitchen Aid. I am really loving the shape of the Kmix kind of retro and modern at the same time.

Duke :)

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 20:15:05 »
 have you ever thought of joining a group like this, you might find out more if, whys and buts, true it's mainly in the states but they do use all kinds of machines,,, it might help you decide..... again my 2 cents worth,,,;-))))
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mixer-Owners/messages

qahtan

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 20:50:59 »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 23:32:10 »
Kitchen Aid versus Kenwood.

It is very difficult to decide.  They both do exactly the same tasks.  They both have the same (or similar) attachments.

Having a Kitchen Aid, I would thoroughly recommend it.

They are both expensive - one of the kitchen items to save up for - but which?

Having decided on the Kitchen Aid I am entirely happy with it.

It is an expensive piece of equipment.

I think you will get excellent service from whichever make you decide.

As I said, they are both expensive, and a 'once in a lifetime' purchase.

Having gone for the Kitchen Aid I am more than happy with it.

valmarg

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 23:55:45 »
Thanks Valmarg and Qahtan :)

I have taken your comments into account. Its always good to hear positive comments about a product.
Kmix or Kitchen Aid.....that is the question! :P

Duke
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 23:58:36 by Duke Ellington »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal