Author Topic: Should flowers be allowed on allotments?  (Read 14479 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Should flowers be allowed on allotments?
« on: July 31, 2010, 21:42:21 »
A man on our site is in trouble for growing flowers. His plot has a lot of runner beans, a bit of other stuff but is mostly giant dahlias. (He only has a very small plot) He's just mad about dahlias and sometimes exhibits them at flower shows.

Apparently he's at risk of being evicted because a few people on the site feel very strongly that flowers should not be allowed. They sent round a newsletter saying that flowers were only permitted on selected plots.

I find this strange myself. I just can't see why it matters.

But obviously some people feel very strongly about it, because I've heard before of sites where flowers were not allowed, or only a limited percentage of the plot was allowed to be given to flowers.

What's your take on this?

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
Re: Should flowers be allowed on allotments?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 21:59:04 »
Sorry but I think that is really sad for all the bee's and insects that depend on flowers,
I have flowers on my plot and grow nasturtium around  my runner beans and other veg
to help with water retention and shade, and I am sure that my veg are better off
for having them there the bee's and insects seem very happy about too. :)   

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 22:07:12 »
Well one person said to me that people who grow flowers are attracting cabbage white butterflies. I think perhaps it's all the cabbages we grow which attract the cabbage white butterflies...  :)

I can see that allotments are usually subsidised in some way. So perhaps you could argue they should show some social benefit. And growing veg might have a slight edge over growing flowers. But only slightly in my opinion.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 22:32:05 »
We grow mainly veg on our small third of a plot, but the bed that gives me most joy is the flower border.  There are 5 wigwams, 3 of which are cascading in hundreds of sweet peas.  The other 2 are covered in crimson runner bean flowers.  We have sunflowers, cornflowers and marigolds flwering profusely between the wigwams.  It looks fantastic, the insects love it, and the smell is amazing as I go up down the path.  I think that we should grow what gives us joy.  If that's cabbages then fine-if it's dahlia's then that's fine too!

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 22:36:51 »
I'm in a dilemma myself. I've dedicated one corner of my allotment purely for wild flowers and I've been told I shall be in trouble. I'm a little stunned from the rumours. Only the other day I had the greatest pleasure watching the bees and butterflies hover and flutter over my beautiful and colourful flowers. I thought we were supposed to encourage the bees for pollination. I appreciate the allotment is for growing food but surely one corner isn't going to hurt is it? I was hoping to install a tiny pond, to encourage the wild life, but I've been told that's a no no!

My plot is jammed with vegetables and I'm proud to say that I have come across toads,newts, snakes and 2 bees nests. How much more natural can you get than this? Are there specific rules where you are not allowed for anything like this on the allotment.

PatTim

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 22:42:37 »
We have a small flower garden, a memory garden for absent loved ones, at the back of our plot, its awash with flowers from sunflowers to Marigolds to Lavander, i love sitting there of an evening watching all the wildlife, theres no rules on our site regarding flowers, seems petty to me

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 22:47:30 »
I grow marigolds and lupins. lavender and tansy and various others amongst my veg to attract bees for pollination and to deter blackfly. Why on earth should someone dictate what another grows on his or her plot? If you pay rent surely you can grow what you like.
I love dahlias. :)
The plot next to mine grows only huge weeds, and I know which I prefer.
Smile, it confuses people.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 22:52:32 »
African marigolds, cornflowers, calendula, sweet peas and sunflowers are all on my plot, planted amongst various veg and fruit. These serve as companion planting and attract the bees and butterflies.

I can't really see a problem, it's not as if he's only growing his runners for the table and leaving the rest to grow wild.

He could also argue some dahlia tubers are edible  ;)

Ninny

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 22:57:59 »
I suppose it depends on the rules.  But in many places allotments are also Leisure gardens so I presume that you can grow anything you choose in a leisure garden.  

I do not see the anything wrong with flowers.  What about people who grow oversized veg are they to be criticised because they do not eat all they grow.

I grow mainly veg but I also have lupins, sunflowers, poppies, nasturtiuma, cosmos and californian poppies and I have let the globe artichokes go to flowers they are magnificent.

As far as I know you can eat both the tubers and the petals of dahlias.  They are not very tasty but who is going to check someone actually eats them.  Though please double check before you get eating.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Edible-Dahlia-Bulbs-Recipes.aspx

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 23:03:19 »
Dahlias, nicotiana, nigella, calendula, tagetes, sunflower. flax, crocosmia, cornflower, poppies, lupins, limnanthes, clematis, tulips, daffodils, gladioli, nasturtiums... I had to think about it since my plot is really dedicated to growing veg and fruit, but all these helpful and beautiful flowers are there as well.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 23:27:47 »
Yes, of course, flowers should be allowed.  But I suppose if the whole allotment is flowers, and no food is grown, it is not an allotment.   I suppose I have better look up the dictionary defination for allotment 'a small vegetable plot'.  I suppose if it is mainly flowers that is not too good.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 23:47:00 »
I'm in a dilemma myself. I've dedicated one corner of my allotment purely for wild flowers and I've been told I shall be in trouble. I'm a little stunned from the rumours. Only the other day I had the greatest pleasure watching the bees and butterflies hover and flutter over my beautiful and colourful flowers. I thought we were supposed to encourage the bees for pollination. I appreciate the allotment is for growing food but surely one corner isn't going to hurt is it? I was hoping to install a tiny pond, to encourage the wild life, but I've been told that's a no no!

My plot is jammed with vegetables and I'm proud to say that I have come across toads,newts, snakes and 2 bees nests. How much more natural can you get than this? Are there specific rules where you are not allowed for anything like this on the allotment.

If you grow flowers that have a purpose; ie edible in some way - then they have no truck. Echinacea; alliums, cardoons, poppies, voilas, chammomile, etc are all 'edible' and can be easily interspersed with 'wild' flowers [how did THEY get here???  :o ::)].....

And pond; tis just a water collection device that we haven't emptied; innit? I have an upside down water butt stand that collects water; and there is some couch grass growing in it...my OH doesn't know it but this is my pond.....I tell him that we will use the water as backup when the water butt is empty...... :-X

If in doubt just talk about polyculture; it's all about the mix not the straight lines!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 00:06:18 »
YES !!  
Sounds like a bit of jealousy if you ask me.  Why would anyone object to such beautiful flowers.  I think some sites need to update to the here and now.  Its not the 1940's for goodness sake.  we're no longer trying to feed the country.  And there as to be food for the soul to.

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 00:16:04 »

If you grow flowers that have a purpose; ie edible in some way - then they have no truck. Echinacea; alliums, cardoons, poppies, voilas, chammomile, etc are all 'edible' and can be easily interspersed with 'wild' flowers [how did THEY get here???  :o ::)].....

And pond; tis just a water collection device that we haven't emptied; innit? I have an upside down water butt stand that collects water; and there is some couch grass growing in it...my OH doesn't know it but this is my pond.....I tell him that we will use the water as backup when the water butt is empty...... :-X

If in doubt just talk about polyculture; it's all about the mix not the straight lines!
hahaha!!! Thank you!   ;D

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 00:44:17 »
I have no problem with a small amount of flowers, sunflowers, french marigolds to keep whitefly away, but the main purpose of an allotment is to grow vegetables and fruit.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 09:11:20 »
Have you got rules on your allotment? What do they say?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 09:20:55 »
This is what ours says:

"I will cultivate and maintain my allotment in accordance with the principles of good husbandry wholly or mainly for production of fruit and vegetable crops for consumption by myself and/or my family and to a standard of at least seventy-five percent of the said allotment being under cultivation."

Nonetheless our allotments were originally created as gardens for the folk living in the adjacent high rise flats (subsequently demolished when someone realised most folk hated living in them). To me a garden is much more than fruit and veg and we are very tolerant of folk who choose to concentrate on flowers or even, in some cases, have a lawn as part of their plot. The bottom line is that it should be well tended and cared for. Your choice what you grow as long as it is legal and not so big and invasive as to annoy others.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 09:22:04 »
We have people on our site who grow Dahlias etc, and for exhibition. I don't understand what the problem is. Do you think there is more to it than meets the eye? Like a personal dispute about some small matter? Or a missunderstanding?

I'd check the rules too. But if not he's more than welcome on our site!

1066  :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 09:28:13 »
Yes they should, and anyone who says otherwise has a very blinkered outlook on allotment gardening!
My blog post today shows some of the flowers that I grow
http://flightplot.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/summer-sizzlers/

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:32:25 by Flighty »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 09:28:36 »
Just because it's an allotment, it doesn't mean that it can't look attractive. What a load of rubbish! Of course flowers should be allowed. What planet are these people living on?

The law states that an allotment is "mainly" for the production of fruit & vegetables "mainly by" and "mainly for" the plotholder and his or her family. Nothing about banning flowers - or grass, or ponds.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal