Author Topic: Should flowers be allowed on allotments?  (Read 14429 times)

non-stick

• Half Acre
Re: Should flowers be allowed on allotments?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2010, 23:51:11 »
The rules on our plot seem relatively simple "Keep the allotment plot clean, free from weeds and in a good state of cultivation". Nothing specifically about flowers but they have an annual sunflower competition. I planted a few by the shed and they cheer me up no end. I plan  to plant up some pots or very small beds near our seat to enjoy any hard-earned breaks from all the work

I'd much rather a few flowers on plots than the weeds some tend to cultivate

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2010, 07:37:38 »
I've never heard of a "flower ban" we even have a man who grows exhibition dahlia's on our site so most of his plot is flowers under a large "structure" to keep the rain off the blooms. Well worth a look on the Open Day at the start of September....  :-*

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:20 »
Phew, the world is back on its axis! Saddad is plugging the open day  :D  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2010, 07:44:04 »
 ;D

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2010, 07:47:08 »
We actively encourage people to grow flowers around the allotment, it benefits the allotment twofold.

firstly and most importantly it is for the bees and other polinators, secondly it makes the place look nice

;D

compie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2010, 10:01:38 »
just tell them there for a green manure crop not a thing they can do then lol ;D

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2010, 16:20:02 »
not having any rules on our small site, I have one allotment for flowers (well, small gardens really) and half a plot for veg. Laughably, the tenancy ules stae no plants which do not reach maturity in 12 months so everyone who has even one gooseberry bush is in contravention, thereby setting a precedent for defiance. Frankly, I cannot see why someone should have a lawn on their entire plot if they are the ones doing the work. Some other council plots are run by associations (usually tyrants) but our site is too small for that although we are right in the middle of the muesli belt so the last 5 years has seen a huge surge in the waiting lists. Still, over the last 10 years, I have seen fair weather lifestyle gardeners come and go so don't much give a fig for any emotive arguments about growing food to feed the family. I am growing roses and flowers to feed my soul. Who decides what the priorities should be and anyway, it would take a brave council official to threaten me or my plants.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal