Author Topic: Anyone else needed planning permission for there greenhouse?  (Read 2631 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Hi Guys,

Just been told that i need planning permission for my greenhouse anyone else had to get this?

Cam

springbok

• Hectare
Re: Anyone else needed planning permission for there greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 19:10:19 »
I have been told that I have to get planning permission if I want one where I am :)  I was a bit shocked about it to be honest.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 19:21:07 »
It's very rare it is actually required for sheds greenhouses or polytunnels despite what the idiots working for the council seem to think so you may want to double check it.
http://www.nsalg.org.uk/page.php?article=620&name=Update+on+planning+permission

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 19:25:25 »
Yes just off the phone from them i was quite surprised myself :( the £140 cost of getting the planning application shocked me more till they worked out i might not need to pay it... providing the greenhouse is not more than 2.5m hight (the one i want is 2.49m phew) Were going to drop the level of the garden a little in that area of the garden as well we think which will also help....

So that part of the gardens on hold till i fill in the 6 page application form :(

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 19:38:48 »
Actually I think you may find this incorrect, but dont rely on me, I had this argument with our council over a shed and I spoke to the guys on a forum who said that if it is under a certain height, all sheds and such are less than a certain percentage of the total area of your property, 1 metre away from a boundary and built of primarily non combustible materials you do not need permission, they are considered a non permanent structure I believe,  there is also the bulding regs you need to sort out.

Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 19:42:44 »
Buildings in a garden are pretty straightforward.
This site lists most of the common planning requirements for garden structures.
http://www.gardenseeker.com/planning_regulations_in_garden.htm

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 19:53:46 »
I am told its because the area we live in is still being built on by the developers so our development rights have been removed until the development has been completed which might be another 2 years.

I only checked when i called to make sure the tree surgeon i paid to move a tree had filed the right paperwork the woman asked why we had moved the tree and i said it was because its in the only reasonable place i can put up my greenhouse....

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 19:55:19 »
About right that Baccy Man, dont you just like it when the council get put straight,  I feel sorry for those in maisonettes or flats though, I got a lot of help from the guys on the ukworkshop forums on my problem, the local council soon got put straight and they did not like it. mind you I only asked for a shed, they threw the area of outstanding natural beauty argument at me, I took photos of the local council estate, the 40 or so building sites on other peoples properties as they put up new homes, garages and other assorted items and asked the council if they could provide my local MP G.Young with their arguments, they soon gave in.
Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 20:29:26 »
My Mum is in an area of outstanding natural beauty too, planning permission needed for everything and denied for almost everything >:( It is a lovely place to live though.

She did what most people do in the area and forgot to ask about the shed......

Everytime someone tries to get an extension, everyone writes letters in support, I think even the i****s on the planning committee have worked it out ;D
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 00:24:57 »
Well have started to fill in the application the fun will be the 'to scale' drawing they want.

Will call in and see them next week bring everything and see if there happy.

Not that I have ever met someone from planning who's ever happy.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 02:53:45 »
On our site,  all requests for the erection of sheds and greenhouses must be submitted to the town council in writing.  A sketch diagram must be included of your plot showing where the shed and greenhouse would be situated as well as dimensions.  We do have limitations on shed and greenhouse sizes.  Nobody has been refused as far as I am aware, providing the size restrictions are adhered to.  One of each is permitted per plot.  If sheds and greenhouses are too large or erected in the wrong part of the allotment so as to obstruct a neighbouring plotholders sunlight then they are to be dismantled.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal