Author Topic: Smoking???  (Read 11097 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Smoking???
« on: July 13, 2009, 21:35:26 »
Silly question......

Does anyone smoke?

I'm a 40 per day man but stopped (I hope) at around 1.20pm today, I have been thinking about trying for a while but always put it off bu I set a date t stop in my mind a few weeks ago to stop this coming Friday but this week is my brothers internment and my brother in laws funeral so I brought it forward thinking that if I can get through  that lot without a cig I should be fine....

Its only 8hrs but thats a few cigs when you smoke 40 a day, my body is crying out for a cigarette but I'm not going to give in, they say your taste improves within a few hours and my god that is so true, I'm having a pnt of bitter and its never tasted so good.  :)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: Smoking???
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 21:48:14 »
I have been puffing away for the last forty years and still like to roll my own.
I know that the family want me to give it the heave ho but I have no other vice that can be used in place.
I even when I was in the Navy used a pipe when the need arose.
All I can say is that the day I quit will be a day to remember as the baccy companies will go out of business.
Tried to give it up many years ago without success and will do it eventually. When I do not know. :-[

Got them back now to put some tread on them

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 22:10:02 »
i too roll my own  started in 1950 age 10.....  still enjoy a smoke and a good drink

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 22:11:15 »
Well done Mick on taking the decision to stop - I stopped about 15 years ago when I couldn't smoke on a flight to Canada, couldn't smoke in my sister's house, then not in my friend's house and it became too cold to go out onto the deck for a quick puff. When I got home after another long-haul flight without a smoke I realised I had hardly smoked in four weeks - and decided I would quit completely. I've never looked back.

I'm sure we will all be here with encouragement as and when you need it in the coming weeks Mick - so good luck and lots of willpower  :).

Tricia

Bobitybob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 22:19:55 »
Keep it up Mick  ;D I quit some 20 yrs or so ago and I was on 40/50 a day. A tip to help combat the craving is when you get the urge to light up go and get a glass or a cup fill it with water and drink it down fill the cup/glass again and sip it. It gives you something to think about and it helps flush out all the yukkies from your system.
Keeping thumbs crossed
Bob

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 22:36:08 »
Good for you Mick - You can do it !!   Just take one day at a time.  I remember the first day I went without a ciggy.  It was a constant battle in my head all day, but when I went to bed that night I was so pleased that I hadnt gave in ! 

sambucus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 22:47:10 »
It is a filthy habit & smokers are a huge drain on NHS resources you are well shot of them.

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 23:02:35 »
I was a 20-30/day man through my 20s, numerous attempts to quit.  Tried patches, herbal cigarettes - in the end I did it on willpower alone plus using alcohol as a bit of a crutch, it's been 11 years and I've probably had about 5 since and none in the last five years.  I find smoking really disgusting now and can't believe I wasted so much money on them - also I never put any weight on which most people claim to do.  Best of luck - it's worth the fight.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 16:08:38 »
It is a filthy habit & smokers are a huge drain on NHS resources you are well shot of them.

I am a smoker and wouldn't disagree that it's a filthy habit and there are plenty of arguments against it and none for,  but I'm a bit tired of the NHS resources argument. The tax raised on cigarettes far outweighs the cost of treating smokers.

Proceeds from tobacco tax £10.5 bn outweigh the estimated costs of smokers to the NHS of £1.7 bn  ( http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cigarette_tax_receipts_v_cost_of )  Even if an updated estimate (using questionable methodology) of a £5bn cost is true, revenues exceed cost. 

This isn't necessarily a good thing but I think we should focus on the genuine and important personal reasons for giving up.

skyblu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 16:21:45 »
how's it going Mick?  I still smoke and keep promising myself that one day soon I'll make the same decision as you. 

Last year I paid £150 for a hypnotherapy session to help me quit and at the end of it he demanded that I threw my cigarettes in the bin...I knew it hadn't worked when I sat there and argued the toss with him about it for 10 minutes!

So good luck quitting - it's what most smokers want to do  :)
http://packdoughty.wordpress.com/  gardening and greyhounds....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 16:27:54 »
Don't forget the back accounting as well Barnowl... smokers die younger so get less pension.. pc.  Both my parents smoked, worked all their lives and got 1 year of state pension between them..  ::)

pamsdish

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 16:32:18 »
I smoked 30/40 a day (depending on work stress) and i stopped with niquitin patches 2003,

since then i have had a few ,but never got addicted again,
 i previously had tried all the different aids, hypno, accupuncture and patches,  but the newer type seemed much better

It is not easy and take advantage of every aid you can , i too used to give all the excuses about how much tax is raised.

It is sad to say though the craving will never totally go away, but take deep breathes ,the urge to light up only really lasts for seconds

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 16:48:52 »
Good on you - you know it makes sense.

I have never smoked a single one in my 48 years - guess I'm lucky to not be addicted to them.

My parents and my mother-in-law all smoked and never saw pensionable age

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 17:15:29 »
I smoked from quite a young age... stopped a while ago, then got a totally unrelated cancer in one of me man's bits... might start smoking again!

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 17:41:49 »
I have never smoked. Not even a puff of a cigarette but I am in a family of smokers. Mum, brother and sister all smoked as did my dad before his death of angina.

Of my 8 uncles (either blood or marriage) all but one died of lung cancer from smoking.

And the argument that revenue outweighs the cost to the MHS is absolute twoddle. The NHS spokesperson was as vague as anything. I have seen news reports of loads of different arguments. Indeed how can a real figure be costed when you cannot take into any reasonable way  disability benefits, time lost off work, cost of drugs from prescriptions, ambulance journeys, ... this list is endless.

No matter how much revenue it will ever achieve I don't think one child would swop it for the loss of their parent, or any sibling losing another, or any child.

Smoking is an abomination to mankind.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/4428758.Smoking_costs_NHS____5bn_a_year_/

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 18:00:20 »
go for it mick! (I gave up on jan 1st, with support from patches, and nice folk on here!!) ;) 8)
You couldn't make it up!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 18:07:17 »
Best not to start, very hard to give up after 50 years, even the doctor agreed I would find it hard.  Don't smoke indoors but do smoke too much, but am just off to play a tennis match, not allowed to smoke there, so will have a few puffs before I get there.  Better go or will be late, 6.30 start.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 18:37:27 »
I stopped 5 years ago after 40 a day for 40 years. It was bluddy hard but with the aid of the patches I did it. Wish I had never started taking the drug but in 1960 when I left school it was the done thing leave school ------start smoking.
You have to get it into your head that it is a drug just as bad as glue sniffin and all the other stuff, even if the government still choose to ignore the fact so as to fill the tax coffers. We are all here for you Mick so you keep posting on this thread and you will get all the encouragement you need and don't worry if you fall off your horse now and again, just get back up and start again. Good on yer ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 19:00:21 »
I smoked for about 15 years 20 a day,I gave up at the millenium not to mark the occasion but because i had rotten flu resulting in a chest infection.I could hardly breathe and began to think that one day i'd have trouble breathing permanently.So i stopped.....didn't miss it ,don't miss it, haven't had a single chest infection since(had them on a regular basis as a smoker).
So best of luck Mick,promise yourself something special with all the money you've saved,and keep posting to let us know how your doing :)
sanity is overated

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 20:14:16 »
I stopped 4 weeks ago. Using nicorete inhaler when i get the urge just ave a puff on that. To be honest i can't believe how easy its been. This is the 1st time i've tried stopping since the smoking ban came in, not smoking in pubs makes it so much easier. I hated the smoking ban but its done me a favour. Stay positive Mick keep telling yourself and everbody else how easy it is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal