Author Topic: Smoking???  (Read 11101 times)

TonyD

• Not So New ...
Re: Smoking???
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2009, 10:35:45 »
i worked on the tobacco transition team for the ontairio govenment. trying to find crops that would give famers the revenue per acre that they got from tobacco. the govenment introduced a quota system. a lot of farmers gave up growing tobacco as their quota got smaller. i was seconded to the us govt. to help the farmers in north carolina when the us brought in the quota system. it quite mistyfied me when i leaned that the us govenment paid to set up farms in mexico to produce tobacco. in the end the whole scheme flopped, because the us and canadian govenments still imported the same tonnage of tobacco from mexico.
the fact is that there are as many acres of tobacco grown in north america as there was grown by the native people before the white man got there, he just made a better job of it.
if the respective govenments were serious about our health would they not stop the imports? i think the double standards of taxes-v-health. health loses.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2009, 12:12:48 »
Keep going Mick, the table is gorgeous, what a bargain did you get it on ebay?

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2009, 21:30:02 »
I thought I'd give you all an update...

I'm still smoke free  :) I used the patches for around ten to twelve days along with my inhalator with one refill but I wasn't sure what the patch was doing for me so stopped using it and switched to using two inhalator refills,  (my doc said I should be on a patch and twelve refills) and I'm now down to one refill per day.

When asked for some reason I tell people its easy but its not, there are times I'd kill for a cig (mainly when the kids wind me up) but then I remind myself how badly smokers smell and how bad it is for your health, I used to spend up to an hour each morning coughing my guts up!! then there's the cost, I used to spend £3650 a year on cigarettes, thats just bloody crazy.  :o

Still no shed.  :(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2009, 21:35:19 »
Splash out and get the shed... I've done GCSE marking every year for 15 years.. about £1,000 pa in today's money, never got anything to remember it ... could have got a great gazebo or tunnel for a wisteria/laburnum/roses...  :-\

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2009, 22:04:14 »
Well done Mick. I hope everyone is proud of you. Re kids winding up.  We had tea at our daughters last week. We were all sat at the table the 3 grand children sat together, 14, 11 & 3. After several don't do thats, guess which one said I not winding anyone up mummy.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2009, 23:07:46 »
I have four packets of patches from the dc. to stop smoking in the cupboard, but am I bit worried that if I put the patches on and need a ciggie, do I die.  I know you will think this is silly but have smoked since 16 now 66 so that is 50 years.  Even the doctor said it would be hard to give up, but if I put the patches on in the morning and still want my early morning ciggie, will it be worse with a patch on.  I think the doctor did say that you had to want to give it up, or the patches would not work.  I don't want to smoke (but I think I will still do) and have the patches, may be double dose, and don't want to smoke with patches on, might make be feel ill).  I know that sound funny, but if I knew that patches would work I may try but if I had the patches on and was desperate for a cigeratte would it make it worse.  Wish I had never started, blame my ex-husband, and never missed it before I had one, and hated it at first, it must be a very strong drug, and I hate drugs, but thought that smoking was cool and OK 50 years ago.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2009, 23:19:50 »
Borlotti I totally understand your worries.  I gave on Wednesday for the third time.  I am using patches but also have a nicotine nasal spray for when the craving gets really bad, you can use a combination of things with the patches.  The nasal spray is horrid at first but then it does give you that 'hit' when you need it.  You can also use the inhilator, which is good coz its a bit like smoking a f*g, or gum, lozenges etc.  My mum gave up 3 years ago and smoked for as long as you, she used patches and still sucks the lozenges - her doctors view is that it is better than smoking 20+ fags a day.  The fear of giving up is the hardest bit in some ways but i won't lie it is a very difficult thing to do - I'm gagging for one as I type  ::)

Give it a go, what do you have to loose, you won't die if you have a f*g, you will feel bit dizzy and wierd but thats all.

Good luck

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2009, 23:21:44 »
Borlotti I really don't have any answers but I understand your frustration,can you phone that no smoking helpline maybe they might have some answers,all I say is if you can do it it doesn't matter how many years you smoked it matters how many you won't.keep posting maybe others might be more constructive. I was lucky enough to give up at the millennium-bad case of flu couldn't breathe- and I've never felt better but that's the easy bit.Rooting for you keep posting love Macmac  :-*
sanity is overated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal