Author Topic: Rain at long last.  (Read 5496 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Rain at long last.
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 19:46:53 »
Stopped raining lunchtime, have had quite a lot of sun. Hopefully we will get a drop more rain soon but what fell did soften the ground a little.

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 20:19:18 »
I washed my windows yesterday, i've been putting it off fo weeks!!!!!!!!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 20:53:48 »
We had a thunderstorm this afternoon. Naturally it happened just as I got to the site!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 21:01:21 »
It started here at about 7 pm and is now falling steadily.  Whoopee!
Keep Calm and Carry On

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 09:54:26 »
'rain at last'. My god, it never stops here.

:-[

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2009, 10:27:22 »
Woke to rain and it also looks like a lot fell through out the night everything is sodden. again all showers stopped at about 08.30 and the sun is out now, the wind is about 40+. when I'm finish reading some more posts on here I'll pop outside to work in the much softer soil :).

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2009, 17:52:13 »
Well Ghandi's swapped his wellies for his flip flops again. This sun and wind has totally negated any effect of what rain we did get here. The plots are like a dust bowl again.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2009, 18:39:59 »
Getting my waders on tomorrow and going to plant some rice!  ;)
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2009, 20:29:37 »
Tried to dig out some couch grass here in East Sussex, and it is as if it had never rained. Dry concrete. Old bath slightly wetter but not much. Annual weeds are loving it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2009, 21:05:51 »
IT has been a bit damp hasn't it Fork... we've had about 1 1/2" or rain in the last 48hrs... means the couch and stuff is coming out really easily and we can work the surface of the rest of it ready for planting out...  :)

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 21:31:17 »
Down here in deep West Country we've had lots of rain yesterday and today and needed it.  Today just like an April day of old.  Sunshine and showers.  Daren't go to lottie cos I walk there and it WILL pour as soon as I set foot up there on my windy hill!  Can we not get a system of rain sharing somehow - seems we have too much down in God's own Cornwall, and always a bit short where I used to live in East Anglia.  Anyone got a very big bucket??
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 22:29:40 »
Yesterday I went down to the plot to start the process of raising queen bees. As soon as I got there we had a thunderstorm. Today I got there and we had a heavy shower. At least I managed to get the job done. I had to use my strongest colony to get enough young bees to guarantee well-fed queens, and they're not very nice-tempered; I didn't raise the queen myself, and I'll be glad to replace her. They went mad at me! At one point they followed me down to the far end of the plot, stung me as I took my veil off, and chased me down the lane. They soon calmed down though, once I got the hive back together. The queen and the flying bees (the older ones that sting) are now down at the bottom, and the brood with the younger nurse bees is at the top. The bees there will think they're queenless, and raise queen cells. Then I'll break them all down, give them eggs from the hive I want queens from, and they'll raise more from those.

amphibian

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 23:17:03 »
Woke to rain and it also looks like a lot fell through out the night everything is sodden. again all showers stopped at about 08.30 and the sun is out now, the wind is about 40+. when I'm finish reading some more posts on here I'll pop outside to work in the much softer soil :).

My soil was a lot easier to break up today, however the heavier rain yesterday still only equated to 2mm. Ah well, it's a start.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2009, 09:59:59 »
Yesterday I went down to the plot to start the process of raising queen bees.

I've always wanted bees. I bought the Barefoot Beekeeper and the plans to built a Top Bar Hive. Still get the news letter from Biobees but I've never actually got around to building one.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2009, 12:02:13 »
very heavy rainfall this morning. the sun has just come out about 15 minues ago and it is still windy.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2009, 13:18:31 »
Yesterday I went down to the plot to start the process of raising queen bees.

I've always wanted bees. I bought the Barefoot Beekeeper and the plans to built a Top Bar Hive. Still get the news letter from Biobees but I've never actually got around to building one.

Have a go, it can't do any harm, and they really don't go mad at you very often! I can't wait to get rid of that queen.

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2009, 14:17:21 »
I managed a couple of hours on the lottie last night and the rain made the soil quite nice to get the couch grass out... and will have watered in the stuff I planted.

Today I am hopping in and out between showers to plant up peas and beans in toilet rolls in the garden (temporarily being put in mini greenhouse. will go on the lottie when they are seedlings - fed up of the birds eating everything otherwise).

Bored of the rain now though - and it looks set to continue for a few more days. Boo.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 15:13:37 »
We've had rain this morning and yesterday morning. Did some home gardening yesterday afternoon and the ground was bone dry ::). Won't get to the lottie until Tuesday, hoping the rain has had more effect there.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal