Author Topic: tomatoes  (Read 741 times)

lizagrowbag

• Quarter Acre
tomatoes
« on: May 11, 2009, 20:50:19 »
I have been given some tomatoe plants today by hubby and to tell the truth i dont know how to grow them lol this being my first year n all.

i have them in my plastic green house right now  so the questions are

when should i put them out  what type of support do they need and do they need any feed, any other tips very welcome

tyy liza

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 21:32:37 »
When you can put them out depends on where you are.  Mine are out but I am in London and even then the wind is very drying at the moment.  Also depends on how big they are - I let em get up to about a foot before they go out but as long as they are hardened off a bit they can go out smaller.
I get 6-8 ft canes and ram as them into the ground - the wieght of a fully laden tomato plants can snap a cane so make sure thay are sturdy.Just losely tie them in a figure of eight to stop them flailing around.  I always dig a big hole and file with compost and manure and very rarely feed but the general wisdom is to use a tomato fert when they start to set fruit.  Do you know the variety?  Most toms have all side shots removed to concentrate growth in one growing point however some are bush varieties or tumbling ones so it's handy to know what you have.  I usually take the top point out to stop further growth after 5-6 flowering shots have appeared - less on a heavy variety.  Keep them watered in dry weather and watch out for the blight - it will come at some point!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lizagrowbag

• Quarter Acre
Re: tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 21:47:33 »
Okay thank you for the info i will try and see what i can do with them
very helpful ty liza x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal