Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 15542 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: asparagus
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 07:41:35 »
I'd leave it if you have had six weeks worth...  :)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 08:21:26 »
Hi all

My asparagus crowns came today and I am going plant today i think.  Want to check i have this right though:

Dig a trench a spade blade deep
mound up a couple of inches loose soil/compost/manure
place crowns on top
cover with 6-8" soil

Does that sound ok?

Also, would it be ok for me to sprinkle some fish, blood and bone over the surface of the bed too?

many thanks

Psi

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 08:23:05 »
Yep, water the bottom of the trench if it's been dry. Skip the FBB if foxes are a problem in your area.. they will dig for it..  :)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 08:26:55 »
thanks saddad RE FBB - obvious now I see it!  What should I use in it's place?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 08:28:28 »
Grass cuttings are good, or liquid manure of whatever sort. There's plenty of choice!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2009, 08:47:52 »
bump

At only three years old I'd stop there TBH...... that said I love asparagus so I'm going to go for about 40 plants in the bed that I iwll be preparing this autumn for the seedlings that I've got in big modules ATM. Mostly that's so I get a big crop early on :D

chrisc

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2009, 09:09:11 »
FBB is better than just bonemeal... if you don't get much fox digging you would probably get away with it in the trench, not on the top. Bonemeal is far more popular, presumably a stronger smell! If you aren't "organic" some growmore is OK.  :)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2009, 09:50:45 »
I'll brew some liquid feed - possibly some couch soup.  Is it worth mulching the bed?  The local council deliver saw dust (cant really call it bark chippings) - would that work?

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2009, 15:02:54 »
bump

At only three years old I'd stop there TBH...... that said I love asparagus so I'm going to go for about 40 plants in the bed that I iwll be preparing this autumn for the seedlings that I've got in big modules ATM. Mostly that's so I get a big crop early on :D

chrisc
Thankyou for your advice,I will let it be till next spring now.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 23:42:55 »
bump

chrisc

so thats 1000 spears a year then. Can you really stand your urine smelling weird over such a sustained period?

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 07:48:24 »
'wierd'?  Just smells like asparagus doesnt it?  Not so weird.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 08:03:10 »
I'll brew some liquid feed - possibly some couch soup.  Is it worth mulching the bed?  The local council deliver saw dust (cant really call it bark chippings) - would that work?

Don't use bark chippings - they tend to be acidic.  Better to mulch with grass cuttings or straw.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 08:35:00 »
excellent, i thought it might be an issue, I'll have a think on the mulch - today is D day for the asparagus - will be glad to get it in to be honest, then that bed is done and dusted for ever!

ta

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2009, 09:38:39 »
planted 1 year old crowns as of yesterday - trench a spade blade deep and mounded up at the bottom with a little manure, trench watered and then a little manure sprinkled over it and then back filled with soil.  I gave it all a water then and I hope it goes well!

When am I likely to see some growth?

I plan a maintenance regime of liquid feed every few weeks (horse manure tea) and keeping it weed free.  Is there anything else I ought to be doing?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:38 »
At this time of year, unless the crowns were very dry I'd expect to see growth within the week...  :)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2009, 09:49:32 »
just had a thought - i dug the trench, mounded up, put the crowns in and then filled the trench.  Was I right to fill the whole trench? i.e the crowns are now a spade blades depth roughly.

psi

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2009, 09:53:15 »
just had a thought - i dug the trench, mounded up, put the crowns in and then filled the trench.  Was I right to fill the whole trench? i.e the crowns are now a spade blades depth roughly.

psi

That's what I did last year, and they took ages to come through. They emerged eventually though. I'm still waiting to see them this year.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 09:57:19 »
i think i should have back filled over time rather than all at once?  I might take a little soil away when I get a chance.  Still, if yours came through Robert then hopefully I'll be ok?  I hope!  interestingly I've only seen one other plot growing asparagus - maybe they know something I dont!

Psi

wolverton

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2009, 12:09:41 »
Hi all,

I have the same question. I planted 10 crowns in early April and completely filled the trench. Only 2 crowns have grown. Are the rest likely to appear? Is it worth digging out the trench slightly?

I have no idea with these and few people grow them. Any help would be most appreciated.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2009, 12:14:34 »
only cover the crowns with 2" of soil once planted as they take forever to come up be patient when they start cover the trench in a bit at a time untill the soil level is the same across the bed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal