Author Topic: RAIN YIPEEEEE!!  (Read 5922 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
RAIN YIPEEEEE!!
« on: May 10, 2016, 06:25:21 »
 :blob7: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: Was working at the allotment at the weekend and the ground was so dry. I have emptied my water butt so I am happy to see it raining today.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
Re: RAIN YIPEEEEE!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:33:49 »
It came just right for me as I had to plant out a load of stuff and I don't like watering. I am away for a fortnight soon, so the more in the ground the better and having it settled in with a few good showers will put my mind at rest. All I need now is to fix up my watering system in the green house.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:41:10 »
I was earthing up my spuds yesterday, and although the top 1cm was very dry there was still plenty of moisture below that.
But as Ace says it's ideal for planting out.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 16:07:32 »
its just stopped here on the sunshine coast had an hour in the rain this morning planted giant marrow in the  pumpkin cloche sorted out all my old open packets of seeds ive a whole box full of herb seeds must sow some what i dont use this year i will bin ( i say this every year however i always keep them) a box full of flower seeds and a box full of open pkts  at least they are all in the place now and got something done in the rain
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 18:42:29 »
no rain forecast tomorrow and Wednesdays are my longest weekday 8 hrs on the plot as no watering is needed i may plant out some of my courgettes pot on some cuttings of currants i took last year and maybe plant some black eyed peas in the ground and direct sow so bolotti beans and we have a committee meeting weds night all in tomorrow should be a good day
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 10:19:28 »
We must be in another area as we have been waiting for weeks for the soil to dry out enough to be able to work now after two dry days and we think all will be well it's Raining AGAIN.http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/BangHead.gif

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:25:28 »
You're all welcome to some of ours.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10:42 »
Had a good inch here.  Waterbutts are filling up nicely.  Still showery, but has stopped raining for a bit right now.

It did come at the right time.  Still have to finish digging a small area and the ground had become very hard and made it really difficult.  It all happened in a flash from it being too wet to dig to being too dry - typical heavy clay.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 12:30:25 »
We have had enough now, the weeds shot up overnight and the humidity is like being in a jungle. I popped all the houseplants out last night to get rid of the winters dust, now they look really fresh again. My bottom plot has standing water but it will soon go now the sun is out. It is an awful plot all my spuds rotted in the ground, but the ones I planted at the same time on the higher plot are alright. Went to the spud man this morning and got 5 kilos of ready chitted spuds for £4, loads of varieties, I just picked out the good ones.

Malcolm Brown

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 12:38:20 »
We had 17mm in the 24 hours which was enough to restart my surface water spring which had stopped last week.  I had emptied  200 ltr barrel so that will get refilled.  The rabbits came and nibbled some of my newly planted brassicas though, the little darlings.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 14:21:02 »
Couldn't have come at a better time ....I just managed to get my Leeks & Sprouts in before it came;

Before the rain;

This morning after the rain

Got my Chrysants in as well:

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 20:01:14 »
Tee Gee have you thought of doing U TUbe Videos? Gardening ones I mean...I think you should🙂
DUke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 21:26:15 »
Tee Gee have you thought of doing U TUbe Videos? Gardening ones I mean...I think you should🙂
DUke

I wouldn't know how to do it, plus the fact I am not into this social media thing other than A4A.

Is it easy to do?

I have a Facebook account but only because family members such my nieces and nephews want me as their friend but it would seem my brothers and sisters don't :tongue3:

I guess they like me are more private whereas the younger generations seem to go in for this sort of thing.

I am not even into texting and my mobile phone is used more as a camera than a phone.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal