Author Topic: Missing members?  (Read 11148 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: Missing members?
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 10:31:58 »
I am not considered a newbie however  I am not experienced on these forum thingies and can find it quite intimidating :-[. I enjoy reading a lot of the banter, wished I could join in more but feel as though I am intruding.  I do agree with Lindsay sometimes I cringe :o at some of the comments and would hate to be on the receiving end - obviously a sensitive sole.

You should never feel you are intruding on a forum.They are open to everybody.
I would  never feel intimidated by anyone.Nobody is more important than anyone else. :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 11:24:07 »
Whilst I agree with both of your comments, and do not consider myself a particularly sensitive soul, I stopped posting on another (smaller) gardening related forum because it there were a few people dominating it and it became very 'cliquey'. In the end I just stopped looking because there really wasn't much to learn from it, and I was fed up with a major argument erupting over the most innocent and straightforward question.

I know that goes on here too sometimes, but I do think the overall feel of the forum is good, and like the fact we can mostly post what we like without heavy handed moderation. There are always trolls on every forum, that is what the ignore button is for! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 11:26:16 »
Not a newbie, and not missing.
I lurk here very often, but only log in when I have something to contribute or a question to ask. I suppose a lot of the "missing members" do the same thing.

Also, I visit less frequently as a member because of the posts of certain members,  two in particular. The snide remarks and the following arguments made this forum a place where I did not alway feel save enough to participate. My gardening knowledge is basic and I did not want to provoke a put down or an insulting remark. A virtual attack is still painful in real life.

Lately, things took a turn for the better (the ignore button works?) and I do hope that we can get back to being the friendly bunch again.
Welcoming newbies is polite and nice, even if they can find the answer by using 'search' or the wiki. Stupid questions don't exist. And as betula said: there is no such thing as intruding on an open forum.

Greetings from Garjan

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 15:53:37 »
I really feel bad about the number of folks who find this forum somewhat intimidating because of what they have read on here. I just hope that I myself have never contributed towards making them feel this way.I must apologise if I have.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 16:50:14 »
I like a bit of banter and a laugh, but please, don't think anyone is intruding, learn a bit about growing veg and have a laugh thats what its all about, Shirl to think you could upset anyone don't make me laugh  ;D but I do know what you mean, my humour may offend some so I apolagise if I do so. Some are rude on here and to tell you the truth I havent got involved but its hard well they are having a pop at your friends, so do as TeeGee does and don't bother replying, were our own worse enemys when we feed the fire.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 16:52:43 »
Kev, you make me cry you're so nasty all the time!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 17:03:03 »
I log on every day, but there are some threads that either I haven't contributed to, or haven't replied to, as there is sometimes just the odd person who turns things nasty.

This is a gardening forum - and it's brilliant, informative, supportive & often very funny - and I'd hate it if newcomers were put off by the behaviour of just one or two morons. Most of us are quite nice (even those with a quirky sense of humour!).

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 17:10:25 »
i am still here just busy at the moment so cant always post :(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 19:37:35 »
Couldn't agree more with all you folk who have said what a great site A4A is.
I have asked some pretty simple questions over the years but no one has ridiculed me (well maybe once :) I don't suppose I will ever be a really experienced gardener but just enjoy being on here. I also love the friendly banter, and the photographs. Long may it continue.

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 20:11:02 »
not so much a newbie but not an old hand either, find the site very informative and havent really had any "run ins" with anyone - everyone seems to be friendly and helpful and where possible i provide advise from what knowledge i have. i come by every day at least once and have a read at the threads and comment where i can
not really had much experiance with other sites, found this one and a couple of others, put only visit this one on a regular basis.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 00:23:57 »
I guess its a slack time of year on the allotment..

Personally i've been snowed under at work recently, despite the "downturn" (is it a recession or not???) we've been really busy saving energy for try somthing new today.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 01:30:39 »

After having me knuckles wrapped..............decided to be a reader only...... till ACE
  put a photo up (remember ACE  ;D ;D ;D ) hello the wiker wumman..and hello to the
  old farts (sorry let that slip ) meant long standing members  ;)..is it rainin dioon the borders Carol ....?????   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Merry Christmas one and all.............. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2008, 07:43:57 »
Couldn't agree more with what some others have said. This is a great forum - easily the best allotment and gardening forum I've come across - and it would be a terrible shame if a few rotten apples were allowed to wreck it for others.  I've learned a huge amount and had some great laughs.  :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2008, 08:23:23 »
Wicker - how could one forget?

Hyacinth - he's constantly busy. Last time in touch he was under 4 feet of snow!!

Deb - do hope that doesn't include me? I know I talk a lot, but it's all a bit of fun?

I still say highlight WIKI & Search.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2008, 08:32:13 »

Hyacinth - he's constantly busy. Last time in touch he was under 4 feet of snow!!

Please pass on my bestest regards to him next time you mail, please?
Thanks.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2008, 08:35:08 »
I must admit I dont post anymore.  But still come back and read things :)

Hi to everyone!!
x

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17:39 »
Hi Springbokgirlie I had wondered how you were getting on, hope all is well, and the same for all the others who no longer post.

I love A4all and it sees me through some difficult times, I always end up chuckling at something and like others just use the ignore button for those that are too sarcastic - life's too short....

I don't always log in as my family check up on me spending too long on here and not doing what I should be doing! :-[ :-[  I even changed my name at one point!

Long may you all continue posting your wonderful threads, and Lish, your chocolate one was the most wonderful so I had to log in a few times to see how you were all getting on!  Should have a smiley with a long nose here!!

Thank you all, have a wonderful christmas and all the best for 2009......but I am sure I will post again before then, in fact I am off to see if Tim has posted a recipe for that lovely looking soup yesterday.... ;)

T.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 10:16:30 »
Oh - Archery - that reminds me of Pixie in Bude. Gone.
And it's my great hobby.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:55 »
I often wonder what Adam04...who will be Adam08 now, is up to. I wonder if he is any closer to his dream of being a pilot?  Wonder if he still helps with his uncle's allotment?

Miss Glyn too.  He was funny and he posted some lovely photographs of his home in Canada.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2008, 18:09:59 »
Well this thread has prompted me to go back through the list of members....Baggieboy and his sidekick Ellis :) I remember the first pics of his allotment, the discovery of that fabbo long chicken coop/shed at the end of the plot, Ellis's first day at school and his wanting to keep a cow on the lottie ;D....and now I've just seen that he was back here in August this year (d**n I missed it :() and wow! what a beautiful allotment and double-wows! what superb produce!!

Now off to look for Jethro, our Heath-Robinson inventor.... 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal