Author Topic: Missing members?  (Read 11145 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Missing members?
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2008, 20:40:21 »
NITTYNORA!!! Was just logging off when I saw you were looking in! 8) Those nits been keeping you busy, lass? ::) ;) ;D

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2008, 09:43:24 »
don't know whether i qualify to post on this :-\ !
haven't posted for couple years now, although continued to look in,
personal circumstances difficult :-X
thought about posting again many times but shy after so long!!
anyway, still gardening time permitting, veg and flowers back garden,
so (timid) hello!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2008, 09:55:20 »
Hello Kerry! (wavy emoticon imagined, please)....we back yard gardners gotta stick together so hope you'll continue looking in and posting when you can 8)

Lishka x

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2008, 11:39:17 »
Hello and wellcome Kerry,I'm shy :-[  too (what... :o)and the only way to beat it is keep on posting,and together we will beat this terrible affliction.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2008, 12:13:46 »
thankyou both!for the welcome.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2008, 13:54:47 »
Another shy  :-[ one here.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2008, 14:21:47 »
Another shy  :-[ one here.  ;D ;D ;D

:o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2008, 10:43:04 »
Hello from The Netherlands.
Mr. C. told me there was a pm from Wicker, Thank you Wicker, this prompted me do a posting after a long, long time.

I am one of the old beeb deserters that came over here in the early days. Do you remember Tim, I almost had to twist your arm to get you to come over too? Wicker mentioned the quizes on the chat, that was fun, some hilarious answers too.

Maybe I am thankless since I learned so much about veggie growing from posters on this board and then, after gathering so much knowlegde, I disappear instead of helping other people who are new to growing veggies. After a while it did seems that many subjects were repeated but they of course were new to the newer members. This is a good time to thank everybody for sharing their knowledge....... thank you so much.

What have I been up to? Not looking for excuses but Mr. C. and I do lead a busy life. Besides our jobs we now have two allotments and loving it. Our latest experiment is growing our own saffron and are quite successful if I may say so.
We are active for the foodbank too. It started last year when I decided to donate our excess veggies to the foodbank (an organisation that give weekly foodboxes to the needy, mosly people who, through bad luck, got into financial trouble such as devorcees with kids who are left with debts from their exes). The initiative grew and grew. First we collected veggies from other allotmenteers every week until we could no longer transport the loads on our bicycles. Now it runs as a well oiled machine with the foodbank picking up the crates with donations every week. This project is now a normal part of our allotment community of around 200 lots. It's called: "Can you put in an extra row for the foodbank?".
I don't mean to brag about my initiative but it may be something for others to think about doing.

Warmest greetings, joyful holidays and a fantastic, green 2009.
Ina

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2008, 10:55:08 »
Lovely to hear from you Ina.  Wishing you and Mr C a wonderful Christmas and a fruitful and packed allotment new year!  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2008, 14:19:37 »
INA!!!

SO thrilled to read your post, and please give my bestest regards to Mr. C? (Has he returned to normal size btw? I remember we pulled his leg shamelessly ::))

So you've a second allotment now! I remember all the pix you posted of your first and if you're going into production too on the saffron front, the lotties must look a dream! What a splendid initiative you've started for the Foodbank - "can you put in an extra row..." Very Well Done and 10 Gold Stars ********** These will go nicely with your Percy Platter awarded by The Happy Valley Allotment Society in 2002 to the person on the Beeb Boards  who "has done more to foster friendships between Allotmenteers than any other...the person who, by sharing their lottie tales, encouraged others to share theirs, thereby turning a run-of-the-mill Question and Answer Page into the thriving cyber-community of lottie friends it is today"....and see what you started?

And so, like way back in 2002, I'll raise my glass of parsnip wine to you and your continued success.

love Lishka xxx

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2008, 17:24:59 »
Ah, Emma and Lish, almost like the old days. Thank you both for the nice replies.
I should try and visit more often and get to know this new community. I will behave better this time around and not let myself be dared into joking around with the hedge hog ladie and get her all upset, remember that one?
All the best,
Ina

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2008, 17:29:33 »
 ;D ;D ;D

What a lovely thread! Ina, you don't know me, but I am so impressed with the foodbank idea. What a great and simple idea! I may have words with people here and see if we can do something similar. Trouble is, in these times of financial hardship, I worry peole may not be so keen to share...we will see!

Lovely to see you back though, I remember great pics of your plots next to the water.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2008, 18:59:15 »
I'm impressed with the foodbank idea too. The nearest I have got to it is occasional donations to local charity stalls, but I am bearing it in mind to suggest to others in these difficult days.

VERY impressed about growing saffron. I bought some bulbs and they came up year after year but never flowered. They have now disappeared.

Any hints?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2008, 19:00:48 »
I mean, of course, saffron corms....

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2008, 20:36:57 »
We've not met Ina, I'm the shy one  :-[  but its great to see the work your doing over in orangeland.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2008, 18:23:41 »
We've not met Ina, I'm the shy one  :-[  but its great to see the work your doing over in orangeland.  ;D ;D ;D

Shy!  mwah mwah mwah!  ;D ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2008, 18:54:42 »
Yes - Ina - well remembered!

So sorry I've not replied to your letter, but give me time!!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2008, 19:02:19 »
Ah, there you are Tim, glad to see you are still an active member. Take all the time you want, I can't imagine it's much since you are not a man to waste words.

(Sorry folks, I didn't mean to hijack this tread)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2008, 02:03:02 »
Hello Artichoke!

This is Mr.C here. Ina asked if I would respond to your query, as I was the one who did the crocus experiment.

I understand that the leading reason for these types of crocuses not flowering is that they are not planted deep enough. 15cms (6 inches) is the ideal depth. Also if you do not have good drainage they may also not do as well as you like...as well as rot eventually.

BTW...are you trying to grow them in the ground or in a container? This could also play a role.

Another factor is the pH of the soil and the richness.

I hope this helps. If not you can always ask more questions. No problem there.

Good luck,
 Mr. C

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2008, 08:01:45 »
Missing members? Reminds me of the joke...
"I'm not a complete idiot... some of the parts are missing!"
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal