Author Topic: successes and failures  (Read 2864 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Re: successes and failures
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 21:34:47 »
In West Yorkshire..

My runners and peas are very poor but everything else is spot on.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 22:11:17 »
From sunny West London, the scorecard looks like this:

Successes:

Strawberries - more than we could eat.  Next year though I want all of them, so am thinking about getting a friend to build some strawberry tables - like a raised bed on legs - anyone else done this??  Also had early crop from the poly and hoping that the perpetual is as good as last year.

Blackcurrants - three year old bushes are producing really well and are tasty - deffo recommend the Poundshop

Cauliflowers - first time growing - see earlier posts ;D ;D

Carrots - sown thickly, watered well till germinated, sowed to fill in the slug mown gaps, pulled some this evening - v.good.  also sowed some in poly to see what would happen - OK but wonky shapes - obvioulsy don't like homemade compost.

Failures:

parships - two sowings and now have 8 plants :'( complete reversal from last year.

Plums - early frost got all the blossom, so no fruit, but only second year.

Jury still out on lots of stuff, but I don't want to name them just I case I jinx them ::) ::)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 22:13:39 »
Failures....some onion sets,especially the red ones

and my caulis are formingcurds already and they are still quite small plants!

Everything else is doing quite well so far.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 10:38:35 »
My overwintering onions were utter failures, wont be doing that nonsense again. My beetroot have grown ok but only because I planted a million seeds in trays.

Everything else was great but slowing down now due to the horrible weather over the last 5 weeks.

Broad Beans are just so reliable every year for me and my Strawberries are superb!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:43:50 by sawfish »

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 11:13:09 »
why do you think the onions were no good, they are usually such a worthy crop to have

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 13:36:59 »
When did you plant them? I find they have to go in early (October at the latest) to be any good.

Katyq

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 19:31:50 »
I am in Hampshire and have courgettes doing well  (2nd sow as first lot got eaten by slugs!) redcurrents are doing great a are blackcurrents and raspberries. 

I have a worry with the cherry tomatoes as some of the leaves have started to curl although the plants seem healthy.  My basil is slow but the coriander and oregano are both doing well.  First time of growing dill and I need to read up on that before I can comment.  salad leaves are as always the star of the show, if only everything was as easy to grow!

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 21:29:35 »
betula, had the same problem with my arron pilots, bought from the 99p shop and not earther up so figured it was my fault,
 have very few carrots, no parsnips, cabbage been eaten by the sodding pidgeons, dodgy looking rhubarb, non starting spring onions (probably pidgeons) onions not looking great either, not swelling but have green tops, but i didnt feed them? leeks look fab so far (phew!) sweetcorn ok courgettes slow but growing, bens sort of getting there, toms plenty of green and a few flowers... hmm.... lettuce starting to bolt but otherwise ok, strawberrys still not swelling despite sitting in a tray of water (potted) so its not lack of water...have been fed too, suspect aged plants, but um yeah lots of failiours i guess, oh pea plants eaten by... soddin pidgeons! wish i could afford lots of netting....
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 00:19:40 »
My overwintering onions just sat looking crappy all winter, all spring then died. The ones I put in 2 months ago are doing great!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal