Author Topic: Bitter Potatoes  (Read 1179 times)

ferg

• Not So New ...
Bitter Potatoes
« on: July 06, 2008, 20:47:26 »
Hi all,

Dug up my first batch of Kestrels a few days ago. Lovely looking spuds. White with purple eyes. Good yield and no slug damage either.

Boiled a few to see what they tasted like. Very nice taste. Then the aftertaste kicked in. Metallic, bitter and burning, starting at the back of the throat and spreading. Very nasty. tried a few and all tasted this way.

Now I know that potatoes that been exposed to sunlight and turned green have high levels of glycoalkaloids in them that give a bitter taste. However, the potatoes I picked and ate were perfect looking. They came from a raised bed and had Red Duke of Yorks next to them that were fine so I don't think it can be anything in the soil.  ???

I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced this? I hope that the rest of the Kestrels aren't like this - I've got 4 more rows of them!

Ferg

betula

• Hectare
Re: Bitter Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 20:55:12 »
Just had a google,apparently exposure to sun at harvesting time for as little as half an hour can cause this.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 21:36:56 »
Some varieties are more prone to it than others...  :-\

ferg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 21:52:09 »
Interesting. Prior to eating, I would say that the Kestrels got probably 15 mins sunshine before they were washed. They then lay in the kitchen drying (not in direct sunlight) for about a day more before going into a cupboard for about 3 or 4 days. Seems like very little sunlight exposure to generate such a terrible taste.

I'll try cooking and tasting the next batch I dig up straight after picking.

Ferg

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 21:59:45 »
Although not as extreme I found the Pentland Javelin that I put in had a horrible bitter after taste too.  But the Maris Peer were fine.  And it was the ones from the lottie and also the ones from the tubs in my garden, so can't see that it was a soil thing.  I don't think I left them in any sunlight.  ???
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 22:03:47 »
I only managed to harvest a few Arran Pilots.Mine were fine but my husband said his were a bit bitter.I do tend to leave mine hanging around.Will be more careful in future. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal