Author Topic: Gardeners World Allotment  (Read 32182 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Re: Gardeners World Allotment
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2008, 18:37:38 »
Well the whole thing seemed very lucky and unrealistic to me, 'happening across' all that 'free' treated wood, getting a 'digger' to dig it for him and tons of 'free' compost delivered right to the plot.

A typical plot (my ****).

I'd have liked to have seen him actually on his hands and knees doing the work like most of us have to do. Showing the realities of starting a plot.

compothefirst

• Not So New ...
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2008, 19:03:41 »
He said that he travelled far to get that plot and had looked at several before he chose that one.  Perhaps that was why he managed to get the digger, compost, etc.  Most of us just take the one closest to home.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2008, 20:58:29 »
well it should be interesting to see what happens over the weeks anyway. Be funny watching him sow drills in those awkwardly shaped beds.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2008, 21:00:35 »
Why? He's going to sow using diamond drills  ;D ;D ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2008, 21:09:59 »
Mare's tail will be saying yippee and multplying like mad.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2008, 21:44:54 »
we have an allotment holder who had 2 triangle beds but they were only tiny maybe 2 1/2 foot wide at the max which she had for herbs and salads.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2008, 22:19:35 »
I don't have a problem with diamond and triangle beds. They do it a lot in France in jardins potagers and it works. It's about prettiness.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2008, 22:26:39 »
Yes I agree grawrc

If it does not work he can always change it.

I read in Sarah Cravens book that she started with box hedging all around her beds.She had seen it somewhere and liked it.She found it was not practical and started again .Surely this is what it is all about,enjoying your plot and being creative. :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 22:31:49 by betula »

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2008, 00:52:13 »
Would you pay £26 for a shed like that. ???

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2008, 01:08:01 »
Shed ?

I thought that carbuncle was somewhere to grow couch and mares tail in the shade.
Grow it nice and tall so the rats can make a comfortable home.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2008, 08:47:30 »
http://www.lifeisland.org/?p=327#more-327

http://www.lifeisland.org/?p=308#more-308

I have been looking for updates about the Manor Garden allotments that have been bulldozed to make way for concrete areas leading to the Olympic Stadiums, and found these.

I think a much more interesting programme could have been made by adopting a plot at this horrible new site and showing how to make the best of a bad job.  Rather than watching Joe making the mistakes we see all around us every week on our own plots, which is boring, we could get some entertainment and encouragement from watching this awful looking place being resurrected, and the former community starting to recover. Joe Swift himself spoke up for retaining the Manor Garden allotments at the time, so it would be a good follow-up to this support.

[Why didn't they just leave the meadow as it was? Why scrape it and wreck it first?]

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2008, 11:04:59 »
I enjoyed watching it was good to see an allotment on the tele.. It reminded me of how I have been rushing around to get mine somewhere so the missus and the little one can get stuck in and plant stuff. I have gotten rid of all the weeds and grass hopefully! Got all my wood from pallets and so I thought it was half realistic and half tele.. Im looking forward to see how he goes I enjoyed it but then again I am making loads of mistakes but I think its part of it. An old boy told me I will make loads of mistakes just like him and that is part of it. I am so glad I dug and sieved all my soil for my raised beds. Mine are not diamonds by the way!lol
Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.
A windy day is not the day to be fixing your thatch (roof).

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2008, 15:19:21 »
Sorry if I've missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that one of the reasons he decided to rotovate was that his soil had so much clay in it he could barely get his spade in!
I'd agree with the EJ's view completely- I enjoyed it and look forward to the next instalment. It would be no fun if we couldn't find something to criticise, would it? :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2008, 15:41:15 »
If you can't get a spade in, what's wrong with a fork? Mix a load of organic matter in, and obviously CW can get all it wants, and it'll be better next year. It could have been helpful to anyone faced with a similar situation.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2008, 16:09:29 »
Absolute rubbish.It could only have been worse if Jamie Oliver, or Hugh Fearnley was involved.

Typical dumbing down designed to encourage the sort of people that are prevalent on our plots.Take on 10 rods, make 4 burial mounds, turn up every two weeks poke it with a stick and give up.
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2008, 17:25:40 »
Ever one keeps complaining about the fact that he will have huge weed problem. But tilling will loosen the soil so if he was smart,he could go back over it with fork an remove most of root clumps. Also since GW is on an organic kick I can't wait to see what type of organic weed killers they use to get rid of any respouted weeds he tilled under. As for most of rest joes bit I think It very possible for any one with a little prep to do same as Joe. Joe way is not wrong just not the way old hands would do it which sometimes is more work then really needed.
Also cheaping out when starting an allotment usually makes failure  more likely.
As for GW  broadcast seeding and row seeding so out date I cant see how they still do it since it waste time. 

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2008, 19:40:30 »
In the next program I expect to see free greenhouses, water buts, coldframes, fruit bushes, fruit trees, plants and seeds, fertiliser, growbags that some garden centre just happens to find are surplus to requirements!!!
But the best bit has to be the valid comments from the other plotters about his triangular as well as diamond shaped beds. I bet they said a lot more when the cameras were not rolling. Only an instant makeover garden designer could have come up with those.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2008, 19:48:21 »
It was just utter shite.
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2008, 20:44:49 »
I like Hugh  ;D

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2008, 21:39:23 »
It was just utter shite.
albacore don't mince words WHAT DO YOU REALLY THINK.!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal