Author Topic: Goldfinch  (Read 2770 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Goldfinch
« on: December 19, 2007, 14:54:05 »
grow your own way

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
Re: Goldfinch
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 15:02:12 »
Nice one!

Just put up some teasels in the hope of attracting one to my garden
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 20:27:15 »
Well captured.  They are so pretty little birds. 

;)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 22:37:22 »
Really nice picture - well done
Kathi :-)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 14:35:57 »
Thats such a lovely picture AS  :)

Funnily enough I spotted my very first two goldfinch in the garden yesterday and I was so excited, its possible they have been visiting for a while, as ive been working, leaving the house in the dark and coming home in the dark, but ive finished for Christmas now (whoo hooo) so ive got time to stand and stare at my lovely birdies and seeing the goldfinch has absolutely made my day. 

They fed all day long and ive seen them lots of times today too, so they look like they are going to be stopping around as regular visitors and I am over the moon about that  ;D

I even got my sons new girlfriend, shes only 18 and i had her looking at the birds with the binoculars, pointing out all of their colours to her and naming them, think she thinks i am a mad old crazy woman as her interest is not as eager as mine  ;)....lol
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 14:42:53 by honeybee »

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 08:23:42 »
 :) thanks for your replies, they are beautiful birds, bit of a lucky shot, I didn't know it was facing me when I took it ::)

honeybee - I would feel like you if I got them in the garden-we have a huge flock of finches at the lottie- mainly on us girlies organic plots- they love flower seed heads .

Before you know it your sons girlfriend will be pointing them out to you, so keep at it :)
grow your own way

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 15:27:36 »
Iposted on a earlier thread that goldfinches were on my teazles and was advised to get niger seed which I did but it wasn,t until today that I saw them eating it !! here is a pic took out of my(still not cleaned )window it is not so clear as yours angle shades partly because it was the 1st camera I found
(look if you have an inferior tool,it,s your duty to blame it lol)

marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 16:48:28 »
 :)lovely photo marg, even with the dirty window :P ;)

thrilled for you that they have arrived :-*
grow your own way

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 20:12:19 »
Aren't they just beautiful little birds.  Poor things used to be caught and sold in cages.  I have the same feeder as you Marg. for one of my nyger feeders.  Good pics of them all.

:) :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 20:45:44 »
Although I  didn't  know a goldfinch from a bullfinch or any other kind of finch, I have had a feeding station in the garden for 2 years. Then I got green finches and this year (well end of last year) I got what turned out to be goldfinches. In fact  theother marg I mentioned your pic  (teazles) to Pauline who has been helping me out with the different birds I am getting. I recently actually saw 8 goldfinches on the feeders. Unfortunately the feeders are too far from the bungalow to get pics. Maybe I can hide in the greenhouse. I am over the moon.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 11:35:37 »
yes it really lifts your spirits to have such lovely birds visit your garden.we also spotted a wren the other day but by the time i,d found the camera it had gone. I,v left the better camera by the window hoping it will come back(also must get around to some window cleaning) anybody spot my recycled hanging basket?it,s got a terracota plantpot disg in it ,it gives it enough weight to stop the wind blowing it about. there are a lot of cats about so must have a table out of their way.starlings are the main visiterssometimes they get mugged by crows as they fly off with the scraps
sorry deviated from from goldfinches a bit
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:12:36 »
Good idea with the hanging basket Marg. Unfortunately I can't use the idea 'cos there's too many squirrels around here.  >:( My bird feeders have to be like Fort Knox!
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 14:28:14 »
Yes did notice hanging basket and have copied idea...thank you!! :)

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 16:58:21 »
Thats a good idea Marg.  Think I will have to take some sort of action soon.  I have a couple of ground feeder trays and blow me I have a rat.  Spotted it climbing up the feeding station pole and then sneaking out of some bushes.  So, if I put my feeders up high and off the ground, yes ,  the Rat will climb up them.  I have to get in the man from the council if its still around next week.

::)

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 22:53:42 »
I must be lucky because being in the country next to open fields there are lots of birds around.
At the moment I regularly get about 10-14 goldfinches every day. It did reach 24 last winter. They feed on the two hanging feeders one containing sunflower hearts and one with Niger seed. They prefer the sunflower hearts and the Siskins (so far up to 10 but it did reach 50 two winters ago)  prefer the Niger seed. I also scatter mixed wild bird seed and sunflower hearts on the ground and the Goldfinches are always searching over the lawn and under the feeder with sunflower hearts to collect the bits that fall to the ground. 

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 13:23:57 »
cute
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal