Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 883412 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #520 on: March 04, 2008, 08:24:52 »
Nearly finished hedge hacking over the weekend. A few more yards, and I'll have neat hedges again, and won't be picking thorns out of my hands every week. Just in time before nesting season as well.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #521 on: March 04, 2008, 13:36:18 »
my work was much more genteel - sowed scorzonera, burdock, lemon grass and salsify and debated whether to fix the broken glass in the greenhouse or wait until the march winds have been and gone  :-\

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #522 on: March 04, 2008, 13:52:56 »
nothing yet, had a sore throat so went back to sleep for a couple of hours!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #523 on: March 04, 2008, 19:03:13 »
ray and phil put the cover on phil's polytunnel, I transplanted poppies, flower seedlings, basil and celeriac seedlings and uncovered the bed for peas, raked it so's the early ones can go out under plastic at the weekend  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #524 on: March 08, 2008, 17:54:19 »
Finished hedge chopping at last, with much relief, moved the cardoon, which is now three cardoons, and planted a Victoria plum to replace the one I lost two years ago. I've had a cold all week, and didn't have the energy to do any more than that.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2008, 18:04:09 »
transplanted melons, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, sowed lettuce, cabbage, red and greyhound, planted up some of deb's peanuts in pots, can't wait to see what happens  ;D
on the plot, planted out the sturon onions at last, will wait another week to plant the red ones, transplanted a gutterfull of early peas into a trench  :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #526 on: March 08, 2008, 18:11:08 »
sowed 12 rows of broad beans, prepared the first bed for peas that are waiting to go in, sowed some beetroot, picked some girl thingy willows to bring home and muttered a humble wish for the gales to go away  :(

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #527 on: March 08, 2008, 18:13:29 »
In the middle of the week I had a delivery of my soft fruit order (T&M) - and today was the first opportunity to plant out 12 'Autumn Bliss' raspberry canes and 3 Invicta goosebrry bushes. You can see I'm trying soft fruit in a big way this year!

The rasps went into a manured bed, the gooses (geese?) into holes dug into a grassed area - with the soil replaced by a blend of rotted manure and compost sieved from my 'ready to be used' heap. if the d**n things fail I will be gutted!

A.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #528 on: March 08, 2008, 18:34:23 »
mulched the raspberries and tied in the summer fruiting ones.  Dug a trench for the spuds and added manure at the bottom, spuds in tomorrow.

Worried about the polytunnel - will it still be standing on Monday but not sure what I can do to secure it even more. :-\

Tatiana

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #529 on: March 08, 2008, 18:45:59 »
nothing today! very windy and rainy here too so no point in trying to go digging  :(

sowed some flower seeds indoors instead and contemplated transplanting my chillis - the compost is outside though so I didn't  ::)

then spent the rest of the day sanding my bedroom floor ready for some varnish. I also sanded my fingers in the process; I have no fingerprints left!  ;D ah well I'm sure it'll be worth it!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #530 on: March 08, 2008, 20:29:22 »
Took some compost to the lottie and mixed the bins, filled two daleks with manure, was going to sow some carrot seeds but it was far to windy. The wind was getting worse and could feel the rain in the air so called it a day.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #531 on: March 08, 2008, 20:38:17 »
Did a load more seed sowing in modules....first lot of brassicas are in... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #532 on: March 08, 2008, 20:55:46 »
Yesterday hubby joined me about 3pm at the lottie to make a start on the first of five raised beds. I had stained the boards during the week to save some time. We managed to complete one raised bed yesterday (Friday).
Got up early today and made a great start on the remaining four raised beds. Had to stop for a short while as it rained quite heavily. We managed to excavate for four more raised beds and now that project is complete. \0/.
All I have to do now is remove way too much soil out of each bed and find some place for it in other areas. Will deffo wait now to start on the paths. Weed suppressant fabric topped with chippings.
Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

fuzzycuzzy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #533 on: March 08, 2008, 21:14:57 »
Been hastily putting the finishing touches to the chicken coup before the OH arrived home with 15 ex-battery hens we are re-homing. Spent the rest of the afternoon just watching them finding their way around.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #534 on: March 08, 2008, 23:34:05 »
Weent to th eoffice >:(

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #535 on: March 08, 2008, 23:55:46 »
Cleared out three of my beds, cultivated them again ready for my spuds. I was going to put spuds in tomorrow but it is forecast gales so will have to wait  2 weeks. (away next weekend)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #536 on: March 09, 2008, 00:01:36 »
Cleared out perpetual spinach bed yesterday and loaded in the cattle manure ready for the beans - sowed my sunflower and marigolds today in the greenhouse.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #537 on: March 09, 2008, 01:37:26 »
just wished I was outside sowing rather than inside sewing ::) ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #538 on: March 09, 2008, 08:39:42 »
Sowed Little Gem lettuce, Marketmore cucumber, Ziena F1 cucumber, Gypsy F1 pepper.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #539 on: March 09, 2008, 12:33:49 »
Mended the compost bin, then filled it up with horse manure ready to rot down for the autumn or next year. Then weeded the asparagus bed - some shoots coming up already, so mulched it again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal