Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 883669 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #540 on: March 09, 2008, 15:13:06 »
went for a couple of hours as we were going for lunch..fed the fruit, watered everything in the poly that needed it, uncovered another bed in there to rake..tidied up a bit and planted another 4 buckets of sweet peas,  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #541 on: March 09, 2008, 16:39:16 »
We removed the old wooden 20 foot greenhouse before the wind blew it down. It was held together by silicone I think, the wood was totally rotten, we were surprised it was still standing, anyway it is down. practically no glass saved sadly as it was almost impossible to remove, but we got a bit..tomprrow the old shed!!

XX Jeannine

Oh and I forgot, we dug up the 30 year old grape vine and replanted it inanother greenhouse.................you never know it might make it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 17:00:32 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #542 on: March 09, 2008, 19:31:08 »
Planted some black bamboo I was given 3 weeks ago, it looked a bit sad but there were new shoots at the bottom, and transferred more seedlings to greenhouse from sewing room. This has to be the best germinating place ever for me. BW dripping like an old tap 'cos we had romanesco for dinner and he HATES it. :o :( (I grew it) also he now has to eat home made marmalade, what a life! ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #543 on: March 09, 2008, 20:36:26 »
Spent 5 hours on the back ornamental garden - pruning etc. This always seems so pointless to me, but i suppose the shredded prunings add to the compost heap. And barbeques in the summer are good in a nice setting. What  really needed was a good dig rather than prettying the shrubs.......oh well. At least I can't be hauled back when the sowing and planting season truly hits the lotties.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #544 on: March 09, 2008, 21:15:33 »
Got in the onion 50 each of Centurion and Red Baron.  Also 3 rows (or 39 seeds) of Lady Christl - hopefully I will have enough mint to keep up with all those spuds.  As a bit of an experiments and also because I didn't want to dig a fourth trench, I used 10 of the famed black buckets, one spud in each.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #545 on: March 10, 2008, 09:34:43 »
Still waiting for my Red Baron to arrive....... >:(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #546 on: March 10, 2008, 13:34:42 »
Yesterday.. repaired a small section of fence. Tidied the 3 small raised beds, cut water pipe to lengths and inserted them as hoops over the strawberry bed and the bed that is going to be for peas. Emptied some bags of rotted horse manure.  Considering today's weather glad I didn't get round to putting the covers over raised beds :) Potted up some sweet peas.
Today no gardening... ironing, hoovering and reading!!!!!

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #547 on: March 10, 2008, 15:31:25 »
The weather is Swindon is horrible so nothing done today, and it looks like this weather is in for the whole week

Tatiana

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #548 on: March 11, 2008, 18:33:57 »
It was very windy down here but it stopped raining for a bit so I managed to spend an hour in the lottie after work before the sun set - the days are getting longer hurrah!  :D

still digging and pulling couchgrass out - that stuff could take over the world! Now enjoying a lovely cuppa out of the wind, feeling rather pleased with myself  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #549 on: March 11, 2008, 18:38:17 »
Good for you Tatiana..
 :)

Tatiana

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #550 on: March 11, 2008, 18:46:15 »
hi saddad  :)

by the way thanks again for the jostaberry twigs - they're all sprouting now apart from one. Very impressed, that's one tough plant!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #551 on: March 12, 2008, 00:03:37 »
I sowed some lettuce (just a few :D), put in some Kestrel spuds. Potted on chillis and a lone sweet pepper that had germinated late.

My carrots I sowed on the 8th Feb under a cloche.....have germinated ;D ;D ;D!!!! Weeeeee
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #552 on: March 13, 2008, 20:58:32 »
A bit of a story.

Last year, I found some aluninium frame pieces which I was going to use to make a cold frame or greenhouse staging. When I put the bits together I found they made an almost complete grennhouse apart from the base and glass. So I made a base, bought new glass and put up the greenhouse.

Anyway, yesterday someone asked me if I wanted some glass as they had a lot left on the plot they'd taken over; oh and they also had the base to a greenhouse - can you see where this is going?

I took base and spare glass and today went to look how I'm going to fit this onto existing greenhouse - all the bolts etc are there so should be quite straightforward tomorrow..............

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #553 on: March 13, 2008, 21:40:58 »
........and jolly good luck Davee. Hope it does the trick.
Fiddled about in my garden all afternoon... even in the rain. All things pruned and most of the bits moved that needed moving. Very satisfying. I feel I'm getting somewhere at last. Got to hang around for the carpet fitter tomorrow so I have just sorted seeds for sowing this month, and lots of potting on to do. It's going to be a lovely day so long as I don't get the d&v bug from BW. :-\
Smile, it confuses people.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #554 on: March 14, 2008, 19:05:06 »
Harvested carrots and savoy cabbage in the rain yesterday, had them with PFA's and chicken today.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #555 on: March 14, 2008, 19:16:43 »
Thought I would beat the rain predicted for the weekend, and cleared the last of my leeks away then planted four raised beds with early potatoes! Put a double layer of poundland fleece over the top of them, they look well snug. ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #556 on: March 14, 2008, 22:33:18 »
Last summer I drop layered a straggly thyme, today I had a look and potted several nicely rooted stems. Sowed french marigolds, then sat with a coffee in the sunshine :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #557 on: March 15, 2008, 17:19:29 »
planted up the rest of the spuds and onions, sowed some more carrots , radish and parsnips, under cover..raked some of the poly beds and cleaned all the paths  ;D
earthed up the spuds in the poly, sowed marigolds..potted up free gladioli corms

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2008, 17:50:06 »
Went and got two trailer loads of manure from the stables round the corner. Two 12m rows of potatoes planted.  Back sore - so watching some rugby while cooking dinner!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2008, 17:59:35 »
Harvested carrots, leeks and parsnips. Also I acquired two pallet build ups, thats what I call them anyway, they are four pieces of wood that can be connected to a pallet, I'm using them for a small raised bed.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal