Author Topic: Advice on bathing a hen please.  (Read 2095 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Advice on bathing a hen please.
« on: July 29, 2007, 23:26:12 »
Exactly what it says in the title!  :)   I haven't done it before. 

jjt

• Half Acre
Re: Advice on bathing a hen please.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 00:07:00 »
Personally I'd get someone else to do it while I watched with great curiosity from a safe distance. Sorry to be of no real help.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 07:29:22 »
Ok sit the hen in the kitchen sink half filled with warm water - use either shampoo or washing up liquid... wash like a dog avoiding the head completely - rinse with a jug and clean water. Towel dry.

Then you MUST use a hairdryer on warm setting to dry alll the feathers off it takes ages - they usually love it by the way and will fall asleep

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 07:45:04 »
Warning, it is very questionable whether you should use detergent on birds. Certainly it must not be used on waterbirds as it destroys the oils in their feathers and they then cannot stay afloat and are likely to drown.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 09:26:06 »
Thanks for your advice  :)

I've bought a shampoo off a poultry site. Regency poultry. It's a one for combating mites.  I've had an outbreak.  I thought I could bathe the hens who are calm enough and either dust or spray the more flighty ones. I'd rather have them all bathed but that might only be because bathing has always been what I've done for other family pets first when they've had a flea problem or a skin problem. I know it's unrealistic for me to think about bathing all my chooks without all hell breaking out!

I want to bathe the silkies bantams as since I got them they have looked like they need a wash.  It won't be a problem to get those back to the house to bathe in the sink as they are so tiny. Also my other little banty Dave,she will be happy to be bathed I think.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 21:40:24 »
If you put them in the sink pop a small towel in the sink this way they have something to grip to less frightening for them. I have used dog shampoo and teatree conditioner works well, the latter is ment to keep bugs away?
Like OO says towel dry and blow dry untill dry they do enjoy it the blow dry. Have fun I just use one hand under the breast and between the legs to support them leaving the other to wash, lower gently into the water just do the head with a damp flannel no shampoo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal