Author Topic: Bullying chicken  (Read 1854 times)

istanley24

• Not So New ...
Bullying chicken
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:35:03 »
Hi All,

We have just got our very first chickens to keep in our garden.  We got 6, and all are various breeds (Amber Star, White Star, Bluebell, 2 Black Stars and a Goldline).

They are all 15 weeks old apart from the Goldline, which is 19 weeks old.  This goldline has been bullying the White star and Amber star (our only white chickens) and will not let them eat or drink, or even go into the hosue she is around.  We had to manually put them in last night.  The Amber star seems to be taking the worst of the bullying, and bot are always trying to hide away behind the coop.

We were warned that the goldline could be a bit of a problem, but she is fine with the rest.  The bluebell even seems to be the dominant chicken, so it can't be establishing pecking order could it? 

The lady that we got them from has said that if it is a problem, we can take her back and swap for another chicken that is 15 weeks old.

Is there anything we can do to try and stop the bullying, or do we just take her back for a different breed?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Bullying chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 14:52:45 »
I think the usual advice is to remove the bully for a bit, let the others sort out the pecking order without her there & then try reintroducing her. 

I'm having similar problems trying to introduce some pullets to my small flock.  I had them in seperate runs for ages before they finally began to accept each other.  Good luck :)

istanley24

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:32:29 »
Well, unfortunately we had to take the Bovan Goldline back to the supplier and swap her for another Amber star.  She just wouldn't let the two white chickens eat or drink or go into the house, she was terrorising them!

But as soon as we removed her from the run, the whole attitude of the others changed and they were so happy.  The new Amber star settled in straid away, and the three white ones go everywhere together.  Looks like a really happy flock now.  I just hope the goldline finds a nice home (probably with some other goldlines so it is not a bully for life!)

Now I just can't wait for my first egg, but I don't know when to expect it.  All the chickens are around 15 weeks old.  When do you think they'll begin to lay?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 13:35:57 »
That sounds like a really good move - now they can all get on together - one happy family! 

Chickens usually come into lay about the 20 week mark so you have about another 5 weeks to wait - my three new chicks are about the same age so I am waiting eargerly too.  One of mine is supposed to lay blue/green eggs so at least we will know which are hers.   :)

istanley24

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 13:40:14 »
I think we have 1 white egg layer, 2 brown egg layers, one brown with a plum blush layer, and I'm not sure what the Amber stars lay.

The Amber stars and White star slept well on the perches last night, but the other three were in the nest boxes.  Should I cover the boxes up for a few days until they are settled.  i don't want them to get into the habit of sleeping int he nestboxes.  I was thinking of covering them up and then putting a couple of white golf balls in the nests when I uncover them.  Would this be a good Idea?  i was thinking it might tell them what there for.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 13:45:17 »
You could put the ASs on the perch for a couple of nights so they get the idea.  I wouldn't bother with the golf balls they usually work it out for themselves but they do often lay anywhere when they first start if they haven't got any 'big girls' around to show them how it should be done.  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 23:14:49 »
Chickens usually come into lay about the 20 week mark so you have about another 5 weeks to wait
Totally agree. Also - bad weather can delay the start of laying by another 4 weeks or so, so dont get disheartened if they are a bit late.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal