Author Topic: Found a grape plant  (Read 740 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
Found a grape plant
« on: July 07, 2007, 22:48:20 »
We have a compost bin in our back garden. I transfer the compost to my allotment. I used some of this in the greenhouse and have found a small grape plant growing.

I believe that this has grown from grapes that we have eaten at home that were bought from a shop.

Will this grow to a fruiting plant or are grapes grown as hybids/grafts and unlikely to grow true from seed (as apples)?

Si

• Half Acre
Re: Found a grape plant
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 06:34:45 »
Most European grapes are grafted onto an American rootstock. The two reasons for doing so are to avoid infestation by a specific insect and to improve vigour. As yet the insect in question has not made it over to Britain, so the first reason is void. One can also argue that since the Romans grew grapes in Britain (and later medieval monks), the rootstock is not essential to providing a good yield. We see many grafted grapes in Britain because nearly all are imported. The grapevines I have are all Dutch.

As with all seed grown fruit, you could have a non-starter or you could have the next big named variety. Congratulations for growing one and I hope it's the latter.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal