Author Topic: which chickens  (Read 2416 times)

weedgrower

• Half Acre
which chickens
« on: April 29, 2007, 10:33:57 »
which chickens do people recomend for a beginner. we want nice chickens that are good layers
takes over your life doesn't it

Joe11

• Quarter Acre
Re: which chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:49:27 »
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but can any one also reccomend a good dual purpose chicken i.e. good layers and good for the pot.

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 12:16:06 »
www.blackrocks.co.uk
I asked the same question a few posts below and got Black Rocks as a recommendation. After a little research a LOT of folk have said exactly the same thing. So I for one will be going with Black Rocks.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 19:18:18 »
I would also add that it depends on how friendly you want them, also what "look" you prefer, I personally love Orpingtons, they are also great layers, and I believe are pretty good in the pot!  ;D
Kathi :-)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 22:23:41 »
Sussex are a duel breed good for eggs and eating, also I think cheaper for a first timer to start with.
Get them at point of lay about 18 weeks old.
When at the newsagents check out the poultry mags, at the back will advertise breeders see if any near you.
Markets are fine if you can spot a sick chicken?
Pekinbamtam.com or rivercottage web site also breeders advertise.
good luck.

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 00:48:17 »
would love to have a few of these. how "noisy" are they? (living on the edge of an estate and don't want to attract local chaves wanting a free dinner.  ;D
anything else to consider for a total beginner?
TIA

HealerDave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:17:14 »
Black Rocks are a cross between selected Rhode Island Reds and Barred Plymouth Rocks, unfortunately there are very few quality breeders of Black Rocks. Some have laying hens that look like Black Rocks, but have not been selectivley bred.
An excellent breeder to be reccomended is cyrilbyson.co.uk a breeder in craven Arms, Shropshire.
This breed is an excellent layer, pretty much touble-free and one of the cheapest to buy. I will be having some in a couple of months from Cyril Byson.
All the best and good luck.

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 16:39:02 »
we have warren hens and they lay fine, we have 3 and get 3 eggs a day very good layers and no probs with them, and yes friendly how could you have them for the pot after looking after them lol

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 20:42:15 »
I'd go for Rhodey hybrids brilliant layers. No good for pot though. Lovely friendley birds as well something to consider if you have kids. We've got 4 sussex and they are really timid. Old guy on the allotments remarked about the sussex he had " change my shirt and they stop laying" Tickled me.

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 07:01:38 »
I have 6 Black Rocks that came into lay in september, they have layed none stop through the winter. I pick 5/6 good sized eggs daily. I would recommend them to anyone, very easy to keep, and as has been said before very reasonably priced too. But beware of imitations, the sole breeder is mr. Peter Siddons. Birds can be bought  through agents up and down the country, see    theblackrock.co.uk/agents.htm

hope this is some help.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 12:40:52 »
I have three Bovan Nera's. They are a hybrid bird and tough little cookies.They have not stopped laying since they started in the Spring of last year. Big eggs.I also have a hen which is supposed to be a Light Sussex. I suspect she is actually a cross between a Light Sussex and a White Star. She has not stopped laying either, again big eggs.

My cuckoo marans are good layers too.

Not up to speed on what a good pot bird is.

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 18:47:51 »
We have Ross hybrids, they are very friendly, quite quiet and were laying after just 5 days with us. A couple of them seem to be a couple of weeks younger and are still laying with quite soft shells, but the rest are fabulous. We keep them in a huge hen house at the bottom of the garden (far too many urban foxes here for totally free range) and they are so comical looking out and calling for us when the back door opens  ;D Much more entertaining for the children than the rabbit and guinea who had been firmly relegated to 2nd position for the time being!

I was told by a more experienced chicken keeper friend that most hybrids are pretty good layers. We were going to Welsummers but had real problems finding any for sale cheap enough

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal