Author Topic: Britain braces for gales and cold spells  (Read 14119 times)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
Re: Britain braces for gales and cold spells
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2007, 23:45:23 »
Sorry Tulippa, words aren't much good at times like these. Go and hug your hubby and get a good night's sleep; our thoughts are with all the families who've lost people to the storm today.
(()) 

Yellow Petals

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2007, 23:52:59 »
Sorry for your sad news, Tulippa xxxx  and I echo everything in Triffid's post.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2007, 08:22:41 »
Tulippa. So sorry to hear your sad news. My thoughts go out to your friend's family, also to you and your husband I know what it is to lose a friend although my loss was  under different circumstances.
Lorna

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2007, 09:47:19 »
Tulippa, so sorry to hear your news... kind of puts things into perspective.

EJ - very glad to hear your OH got home okay.

Cheers,
Rob ;)

ps. greenhouse is repairable, just needs a new ; seed spuds also recoverable, but all mixed up; sweet peas and over-wintering globe artichoke plants trashed, but in the big scheme of things it really doesn't seem very important...

"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2007, 09:49:49 »
So sorry too Tulippa - what a tragedy. Our thoughts to all those killed or injured through this. CLx

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2007, 09:51:59 »
So sad, Tulippa. Makes us all count our blessings.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2007, 11:03:09 »
Add my best wishes to all the others.  I kept thinking about those poor lorry drivers in the awful conditions, with an eye on those that I was crawling past.  It took me 5 hrs to get from Preston to Crewe last night, via Runcorn in the end, but it was just 5 hours of radio 4 and some cd's, not injury or worse.

We still have flooding and a lot of power outages, but it looks a lovely day out there now.  Not going anywhere today though, no way, no chance, uh uh.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2007, 14:36:02 »
Two of our fence panels blew down yesterday, but then I read Tulippa's post and it puts small things into perspective. What sad news.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2007, 15:13:31 »
Thanks so much everyone for all your kind thoughts which I shall pass on.

At least the wind is back to normal now and everyone can travel safely. :)

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2007, 17:13:24 »
Sorry to hear your sad news Tulipa. My fence is down but luckily it's next door's, only one pane of glass blown out of the greenhouse and it landed in one piece! Then I looked up at the top of my plot and realised an ash tree had gone over, well it was about dead so not surprising really - plenty of firewood now anyway and luckily it missed my shed!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2007, 19:04:01 »
Seemed to have missed the worst of it here in Dorset - despite reports of problems not far away. Stayed  inside all day listening to the storm and all the news and travel reports on Radio 2. It certianly was nasty in some places yesterday. Thankfully no damage (someone was smiling on me yesterday thats for sure). I did half expect more fence to go down or glass blown out of the greenhouse, or even worse one of the row of old pines at he back of the estate to come down into the garden. But not even a branch came down!

All of that pales into insignificance compared to the human cost of the storm. I had heard about the casualties, and of course its terrible but until i read Tullipa's news they were just people. Hearing that one of the casualties was a close friend of an A4All member, puts it all in perspective and makes it all far more 'real'. I dont know quite what else to say. Words are inadequate at a time like this

All I can do is send my condolences and sympathies go to Tulipa, her family and their friends family.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2007, 21:28:37 »
Winds have dropped today, sun came out ,done some bits over lottie, but my thoughts are with you Tullipa and your friends family.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2007, 22:41:42 »
What a gorgeous day today.  How quickly things change.  I was working on my garden clearance and when I stopped for lunch I turned my face up to the sun and enjoyed feeling it's heat on my face.

I popped to the plot, and the only real damage is the brassica cage had blown down, and the mask on my scarecrow was nowhere to be seen.  I shall get up there properly next week when I am not working and get things straight.

Lots of tree debris down on the common, and road signs and cones dotted around on the A12.  I thought we were due gales again tonight, but it is all still out there at the moment.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2007, 10:11:25 »
we're still without power (since Thurs arvo). Writing this courtesy of generator. Luckily my OH didn't 'deck' the guy in orange (see Scam post). CLx

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2007, 15:29:56 »
Sorry about your sad news Tullipa - Winds still very strong here on the Wirral but only just stopped raining at lunch time.  Went to check on the  lottie 1 green house in bits but other wise just things scattered,  Lets hope that is the last of the high winds hope everyone one else is having a better time now.   ???

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2007, 15:51:41 »
Hi

I have heard that the allotments have been tashed and am going to head up tomorrow or maybe later today if i feel up to it.

dont have a good feeling about this!

Cambourne7

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2007, 14:23:57 »
Lovely sunny day today, still a bit windy, but gets the washing dry.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2007, 14:47:14 »
I spent an hour yesterday putting up my bit of trellis without having to cut down the climbers that were on it. Then about  2.00am I was woken with what sounded like an express train coming past the house.

It looked like a bomb had dropped in the garden this morning, I can only think it was a mini tornado going past last night. It even blew some of my henge over.

New trellis and arch put up today, looking very bare but the climbers should reshoot later in the year. The henge is looking as if it has been there from the stone age so I might leave it as it is.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2007, 16:34:27 »

Hubbie went to the plot for me today as i did not feel up to it.

My shed has been blown over and the roof has blowen off

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/IMAGE_00004.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/IMAGE_00003.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/IMAGE_00002.jpg

i think the shed may be salvagable next saturday

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2007, 16:59:34 »
It looks repairable, I might be temped to screw it down next time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal