Author Topic: Britain braces for gales and cold spells  (Read 14080 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Britain braces for gales and cold spells
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 13:24:10 »
Will got up at 11.30 and lay in bed for another hour and did not heat a peep outside but when i eventualy got up found all the bins making there way down the road so got them back and hidden away just sat down with a cup of tea amd noticed that the plastic cover off my 4 shelf greenhouse thingy has been blowen off ( it had been tied to the bottom ) but it looks like the plastic has shreaded!

Sky is very dark now and the sky is moving very fast - so glad i am home!

not thinking about the allotment  :'(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 13:52:17 »
First real damage here. I had just walked back down back garden after inspecting the greenhouse and heard an almighty crack. Turned round and two panes in the front of the greenhouse blew straight across the garden. One was completely smashed but the other one is still in one piece. Glad  I wasn't up that end when it happened could have been nasty. One large window had also blown out of the front of the garage. The fence between young Lorna and me (fencing panels) is leaning in one part but it appears to be the metposts have moved in the wet ground, probably saving the panels from being destroyed. What ever happens I am NOT going out there to try any repairs until the wind drops,
Stay safe people.
Lorna

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 13:57:29 »
I have just watched branches off my neighbours 30' high Leylandii ::). being ripped off by the wind and being deposited into someonelses garden. I'm only glad my equally high willow tree is still standing but I'm quite sure my shed won't be at the allotment :(.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 14:11:57 »
Pretty apocalyptic here in Manchester too.. Extremely windy with a bit of rain - no trees broken yet, and I'm glad I staked the apple trees I planted last week.

It's meant to ease off this evening/tomorrow morning, and then it's going to get very cold. Frosts! Woo!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 14:14:48 »
Just got a call from my wife, apparently my two plastic greenhouses have blown over (the concrete slabs on the bottom shelves obviously didn't help), so that's my sweet peas gone and seed potatoes mashed before they've even been planted >:( >:(  

And here at work the high buildings in St Thomas's Street are effectively turning the whole street into a massive wind tunnel - bit scary trying to walk to the station!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2007, 14:18:45 »
Two fence panels down.  Had to rescue the kids mini trampolines as they were begining to move and I had a horrible sensation that if they were to fly, they could kill!  Plant pots, some with plants in (!), all over the garden.  Lots of willow down, but so far, touch wood, the greenhouse and shed are okay.  The conservatory on the other hand is creaking rather ominously!!  :-[

My darling is in London at work.....at 6pm he has to ride home on the motorbike.  I think I would rather he stayed in London tonite!  :-\

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2007, 14:29:40 »
lol@windygale, don't take it personally :o ;) ;D
Emma Jane, fingers crossed the wind dies down as promised later this afternoon :-*

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 14:49:00 »
Just been out in the garden dodging rolling flowerpots and flying twigs while we tied guyropes to our fence. It would have been laid flat by now otherwise and probably three gardens away.
Neighbours have a brick garden wall, and that's just gone over  :o

Don't dare try to get out and go to the allotment but I fear for my poor shed. Will see tomorrow, if the weather stops bullying us.

Sympathy to robkb for the seed spuds and sweet peas. Fingers crossed that some are recoverable. Let us know...

EJ -- as SS says, hopefully the wind will have died down by this evening.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 14:51:34 »
damage so far...3 glass panes out of the greenhouse, sure more will follow, but nothing to be done til the gales have gone....phone call from one of my ladies just now....big old tree next door is down, smashing through my lady's garden & demolishing all the trellises and arch....sounds like devils in torment are living in my chimneys....not liking this at all!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2007, 14:54:49 »
I have heard there is damage on the allotments but dont know if my plots affected  :-X

EJ - DO NOT LET HIM GET ON THE BIKE!! its not going to be safe.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2007, 15:06:32 »
Really howling here in Surrey too.

Am upstairs watching the acacia tree in the back garden fall to bits in the gale. They are brittle trees at the best of times but this one died in the summer as it just couldn't compete for water with my neighbours conifers.

Am praying that it's just going to be the little branches that come down and not the whole tree! Asked OH to get a tree surgeon in to cut it down a month or so back, but he was selectively deaf at that point as it will cost a fortune..... so will new double glazing if it falls on the house! :o

Tabby

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2007, 15:57:32 »
I cannot believe it :D, screwd up my courage and went up to the allotment only to discover that my shed (that thing on the left) IS STILL STANDING ;D ;D ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2007, 16:09:43 »
It's v windy here in Lincolnshire, and part of our back fence is swaying dangerously despite hubby putting in another stake by the side of it at the weekend.  Oh well, at least we're inside safe and sound.  EJ - I'm really worried about your other half getting on a bike in this, let's hope it settles down a bit before he sets off  :-\
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2007, 16:13:06 »
this is getting to sound like the Vicar of Dibley   ;D ;D ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2007, 16:15:54 »
Well it got a bit blowy here, loads of trees down on the way to work, a bit of my trellis has gone awol.
I live on the site of an old windmill, so I suppose it was the windiest part of Cowes. But where I was working it was sheltered and sunny and I had a lovely productive day, paths in,300 herbs planted and all gravelled over, a few little extras tomorrow to make it look pretty, a quick makeover for me saturday so I will look as nice as the garden. Then struggle to the bank with the cheque 8)

Oh and EJ don't worry about other half. If he is the seasoned rider I think he is he will be alright.  To all the rest of you that are worried, motorcycles are only dangerous in the wrong hands.

Mind you I remember when motorcycles were dangerous and sex was safe ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 16:23:09 by ACE »

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2007, 16:48:17 »
this is getting to sound like the Vicar of Dibley   ;D ;D ;D

No, no, no, no, no, no it isn't  ;D  ;D  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2007, 16:51:17 »
Seems d**n scary all over the country. Part of son's workshop roof has crashed down, luckily it is double skinned so his equipment isn't get damaged. Just waiting for landlord to sort.
Emma. Stay safe Mark and to every one else I hope your damage is not too dangerous/expensive. Just be careful.
Lorna

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2007, 16:56:50 »
No, no, no, no, no, no it isn't , by kitten

it's not the great storm, it's the great wind, no it's not, here' s hoping it's not the great snow or the great frost next !!   ;D ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2007, 17:47:39 »
Howling winds thats exactly what it sounds like, raining most of the morning, Sky's cleared up this afternoon but wind hasn't dropped, still a hosepipe ban in Enfield says Thames Water, in the local rag. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2007, 17:57:17 »
I know you are right Ace, and he has biked in worse.  He said it was very exciting this morning!!  It isn't really him I am worried about, it is the swaying lorries and swerving cars that might sway or swerve into him! 

The wind has quietened down here, thank goodness.  Wheelie bins all over the street when I went to collect the kids from school. 

Right, off to karate now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal