Author Topic: Britain braces for gales and cold spells  (Read 14121 times)

Yellow Petals

Britain braces for gales and cold spells
« on: January 15, 2007, 17:56:29 »
Britain braces for gales and cold spells
Updated Monday January 15, 03:10 PM     

LONDON (Reuters) - Tumbling temperatures and gale-force winds are expected to hit Britain mid-week in a foretaste of things to come in the second half of what so far has been an abnormally mild winter.

The Met Office said winds could gust up to 80 miles per hour in many areas from Wednesday through into Thursday with possible disruption to travel followed by much colder weather over the weekend.

It even warned of a possible threat of snow in northern and eastern areas before a return to drier, brighter but still frosty weather next week.
It advised travellers to take heed of the latest weather forecasts before they set off.

The Met Office, which earlier this month predicted that 2007 could be the warmest year on record globally due to the El Nino weather phenomenon and climate change, said it expected more frequent cold snaps over England in the second half of the winter.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Britain braces for gales and cold spells
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 18:04:05 »
I do hope we have snow this year.  I know if isn't very good for the road users, but we do need a proper winter. I hate this blurring of the seasons. Plants and birds just don't know where they are.  My sister lives in London and the snow drops are out in her garden, and I have one bright eyed little daisy sticking it's little head up in our lawn. I do hate the wind though, so not looking forward to that. Our front drive fence is about to topple over. It's been propped up for now but anymore wind and that will be that. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 15:38:35 »
nuts.....I am on garden clearance both days.  Better wrap up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 16:34:10 »
I have to be out in it this week, I have a deadline to finish an old fashioned herb garden. They want to film it this weekend, so I shall look very windswept and interesting ;D

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 21:48:52 »
Lotties would benefit from some heavy frosts
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 21:54:54 »
these reports always seem to do the rounds every winter - usually the Mail or Express whipping everyone into a frenzy, but the Met office is a little more reliable.

Hope it comes to nothing - I've just negotiated terms for a weekend exchange:  he gives me two full days labour at lottie this w/e, I have to go to Scotland mountain biking at a future w/e.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 22:16:28 »
Remember last year when Spring came SOOOOOO late?

I reckon there's still plenty of time for things to chill down. We usually get snow on or around my birthday, which is February 8th...

...and no, that's not a hint.

GIVE ME PRESENTS!!!

That's a hint
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 22:58:06 »
I left a meeting about 9 o clock and it was snowing!!!  my wee car skidded down the hill with the snow on the road.   Now that wasnt forecst for tonight here in the Borders.

;) ;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 06:35:32 »
I have to be out in it this week, I have a deadline to finish an old fashioned herb garden. They want to film it this weekend, so I shall look very windswept and interesting ;D

Hope you've got some pics for us too ACE :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 10:56:40 »
I do indeed welcome a change from the wet and windy weather we have been having rcently, but as it looks like it will go from one extreme to another, i personaly dont feel it will be an improvement. I dislike really bitterly cold weather just as much as wet and windy weather. It wont be so bad if its nice and sunny though.

As far as out winter climate is in general, I would much prefer either a totaly mild one or totaly cold one. This mixture of cold and mild spells that pases for winter these days does noone any good, particularly the wildlife. It will be particularly bad this this winter as it has been so mild for so long. A cold snap now i feel will do more harm than good.

On a personal level i am in no way ready for proper winter weather in the garden. The bad weather of late has left me with a backlog of jobs to do, including sorting out the greenhouse for winter, somethign i have been meaning to do for 2 months, yet havent had the chance! I still have not cleaned and insulated it, something that  this time last winter i had already done (the previous November!).

Anyway if cold weather is on the way and we get a series of cold snaps, I just hope 1 of them will be in the first week in february, when i will be somewhere a lot warmer (on holiday)!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 15:44:06 »
Well, here in Essex it rained all morning.  I worked on getting wetter and colder.  At 12noon the boss told me to knock off for the day and by the time I had got home, had a cuppa and started to warm up, the sun was out and the sky was blue.  According to our local weather, we in Essex are going to wake to torrential rain tomorrow along with gales of up to 70mph.  The rain will then hang around until Sunday, when the temperature will drop and we might have snow!!!  :o

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 15:55:35 »
Beautiful day down here, I don't know what all the fuss was about. I woke up to the birds singing, had a little shower about 7.30 then worked in the sunshine all day. I bet I shall pay for it tomorrow :(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 17:08:37 »
Cats and dogs most of the day, where are you Ace. ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 17:24:28 »
beautiful afternoon here in wet normally wet wigan, spent a few hours putting in fruit trees, bit cold but we soon warmed up  ;D ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 17:25:18 »
weather here is great :-) blue sky no wind and rain finished about midday :-)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 17:27:06 »
...  where are you Ace. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Washed away somewhere off Alderney, if the member map's right  ;D ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 17:28:38 »
was snowing here last night when i went to bed ... was all excited !

woke up this morning to wind rain and no snow .... back to normal then.

I love the seasons in their rightful place but hate all this guess work.  That's nature I suppose !

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 17:34:18 »
SNOW!!!

wow

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 17:37:41 »
that's what i thought !  and it was settling too.  was terribly disappointed this morning.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 18:19:09 »
where are you Ace.

I Would have thought my choice of waistcoats might have given you a clue ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal