Author Topic: Marmalade disaster  (Read 9070 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Marmalade disaster
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2007, 15:40:34 »
I love Oxford marmalade Tim, love it dark and rich and tangy.  Mmmm.  (Had yours on home made bread, toasted with lashings of butter for breakfast today.  YUMYUM)

Still haven't found Sevilles in Essex!  Going to ask mummy to see if she can buy some south of the water.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2007, 15:50:34 »
They've arrived in Tesco here, but you have to be quick - they sell out each day!!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2007, 03:49:15 »
EJ: I just had one of those fuzzy middle-of-the-night thoughts!  ::)

A lot of the organic veg box delivery companies have Seville oranges on their "extras" lists at the moment. Not an avenue you'd normally need to try, I know, given that your plot runneth over with organic stuff  ;)  but if you can't get hold of Sevilles by other means...?

I searched "seville organic delivery" and found quite a number. Abel & Cole look like they might do Essex ... www.abel-cole.co.uk

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2007, 09:12:03 »
Aha! Co-owner Keith Abel has written Cooking Outside the Box - very usable cookbook for seasonal, organic veg - very appropriate :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Outside-Box-Seasonal-Cookbook/dp/0007230702/sr=8-1/qid=1169975682/ref=pd_ka_1/202-1970606-0279044?ie=UTF8&s=books

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2007, 09:16:53 »
Ooo, interesting Trif.  Mum is going to have a look locally to her - she is coming for a visit in the next couple of weeks so that will be okay, but if she has no joy, I will definately give that some thought.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2007, 09:17:29 »
Yesterday I stood stirring in the kitchen for an hour waiting for the marmalade to set; then had to go upstairs for a few minutes to get the kids out off bath. And of course that's when it started sticking to the bottom of the pan. I now have 8 jars of over-set marmalade. Well, at least it tastes nice  :D.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 03:44:25 »
*waves at EJ and SS*  --  and EJ, if I have any better ideas I'll let you know...

Oh poor Dandelion, I sympathise: just glad for you that it still tastes delish. I've had a heap of Seville oranges waiting for attention for more than a week and haven't had a chance to get started because my two little 'uns have been running amok!
Mind you, Tiny Triff would be happy to help, so I might settle the two of us down one while big bro's out doing football or whatever and we'll have a girly marmlemaking session together.  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 09:37:49 »
and a picture of same! ;D ;D ;D
<waves back>

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 09:55:23 »
 Hi all,  :D,
                  Just a tip for you marmalade makers, use a pressure cooker to soften up the rind, I do this & it saves a couple of hours of time. I chop the rind, put the pips & pith in a muslin bag, place in the pot with only 1 pint of water, seal it & bring it up to pressure, (15lbs) & simmer it for 11 minutes, then let it release the steam slowly & bingo soft peel ready for boiling  ;D.
                                   Adrian.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 13:08:52 »
Exactly what I've been banging on about.

Except that I cook them whole so that pips & all get a basting!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 13:34:55 »
Yes, I find it a lot easier to scoop out the flesh and cut the peel when they've been pressure cooked (halved) too.
10 lb produced yesterday - from 6 lb sevilles, 3 lemons, 8 lb sugar, and 4 pints water. Had to use the 12l pressure cooker, too much for the jam pan :P Bit sloppy last year, firm as a rock this! ;D

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 18:43:05 »
EJ they have recently been in large Tescos in chelmsford- near Miami Hotel. I would give them a ring first though, as they probably are selling out and depends when new stock comes in.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2007, 22:08:24 »
Thanks Lady.  I won't be that side of town until later in the week so I may give them a try.  You are a star!

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2007, 21:46:11 »
A message for Tim, tried your ice cream recipe and it was fab, husband was well impressed!!! ;D
Also got some extra oranges in the freezer for a hit later in the year

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal