Author Topic: The Victorian Kitchen Garden DVD  (Read 6967 times)

silly billy

• Acre
The Victorian Kitchen Garden DVD
« on: November 30, 2006, 00:16:41 »
Incase anyone is interested play.com are doing this 2 disc set for £5.99 instead of £24.99 which is way cheaper than Amazon. Its a brilliant series and well worth buying at that price.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: The Victorian Kitchen Garden DVD
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:05:26 »
Thanks. At that price I'll buy it. :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 16:52:46 »
I've read the book and will be pointing OH at this link for a Christmas Present!
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 17:16:43 »
That was a bit of an impulse buy, but never mind, it should be well worth it when it comes.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 17:59:08 »
Thank you, I have ordered it too...they will be wondering why it is suddenly so popular! ;)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 17:55:52 »
Me too!
 ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 19:23:31 »
Oooooh, it's come, I wonder if I can manage to sneak off and watch it later....... 338 minutes, will keep me going for a while! :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 19:35:33 »
I managed to watch a good chunk of it today. Great stuff!

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 19:24:58 »
Started watching mine last night and managed to get up to March.Really interesting stuff and boy did the old gardeners work hard.I was very interested in the hotbeds under glass thought I might have a go at that myself.

If anyone is interested there is also the dvd of the series The Victorian Kitchen which again is £5.99 delivered :o :o :o and the Victorian Flower Garden which is £14.99 but out of stock.

Happy viewing!!!  ;D ;D ;D
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 21:18:47 »
I remember really enjoying the Victorian Kitchen too, but mustn't be tempted by anything else... :(

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 22:02:31 »
I've asked for it from Santa.  I did see the 3 DVD's together on offer but I can't remember where.  Brain addled with websites.  ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:45:04 »
I've watched a fair chunk of it, and the only bit I'm critical of is some bad beekeeping. The guy comes up with a travelling box with the bees in, puts it down, and takes the top off. Inevitably, a lot of bees fly out, and these will be lost as they haven't found their bearings at all. He then moves the frames straight into the hive. The bees are rushing about and looking very agitated, inevitably. It says a great deal for them that he's able to do this with his veil up!

What he should have done was to move the hive off the stand, and put the bees there, with the entrance (there will be a hole at one end) facing the same way as the hive. Then he should gently open the hole, nothing else, and if he's doing it in the day, shove a twist of grass into it to stop the bees all rushing out at once. The next day, they'd have oriented to the new site, and the box could be gently moved aside, the hive put back, and the bees transferrred without losing any or upsetting them.

Another thing is that the hive's set up with the entrance facing a path. So if the bees get in a mood, and all bees can, then anyone walking down the path will know all about it! I'd have faced it the other way, into the wall. Then the bees would be pushed up well above head level, and wouldn't bother anyone.

I did like the swarm though, and she coped very well if it really was her first.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 07:55:44 »
Mine's not landed yet, which is perhaps as well as nothing would get done!
 ;D

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 14:19:34 »
I remember really enjoying the Victorian Kitchen too, but mustn't be tempted by anything else... :(

Go on you know you want to  ;) ;)

I've asked for it from Santa.  I did see the 3 DVD's together on offer but I can't remember where.  Brain addled with websites.  ???

Play.com do it for £17.99

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 21:20:07 »
Gave in and ordered one today, told my kids that is my present sorted for them, and that will be my Christmas occupied now!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 17:38:15 »
Thanks for that Billy, now all I need is a portable DVD player & no one will hear a peep out of me all hols.  :)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 21:15:04 »
Mine arrived today but OH has wrapped it up with strict instructions not to open until Xmas
 :'(

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 23:34:05 »
Mine arrived today but OH has wrapped it up with strict instructions not to open until Xmas
 :'(
:o ;D ;D ;D
I won't reveal too much but I just had to share this with anyone who hasn't seen it because I am totally amazed they did this..........The Victorians used to smash the ice on their lakes and store it in a huge ice store which was located in the garden deep underground and were able to use the ice throughout the summer until September!!!!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 08:45:09 »
Silly Billy! I watched that episode (for the millionth time!) yesterday!

I was wondering though ... did they use the ice to put in drinks etc.? Wouldn't there be bits of pond weed and fish pooh in it?  ::) I worry about this sort of thing you know.

The series is excellent, for anyone dithering about buying it.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 08:48:50 »
Oo can't have you frettin at the weekend trixie, I do believe the Victorian cook would probably use it to cool fruit and make ice cream and chilled puddings or soups, cooking vessels would be plunged into the ice so it wouldn't come into contact with the food. I think ice cubes put directly into glasses is quite a new thing (well, post industrial) - the Arabian Nights stories told how the sharbats were cooled, the sharbats were put in vessels into snow and/or ice, like making ice cream today, then whisked off to the Caliph. You could always ask Ahmed if you found yourself short of convo ;)
SSxx
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 08:52:05 by supersprout »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal