Author Topic: The Victorian Kitchen Garden DVD  (Read 6918 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: The Victorian Kitchen Garden DVD
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 08:57:27 »
Thank you Sprouty  ;D I like the expression 'vessels would be plunged into the ice'!!!! Did you Google that  ;D

And I wouldn't give Ahmed the satisfaction of me asking him a question about something I know nothing about  ;)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 08:59:20 »
They used clean ice without noticeable bits of weed, and fish poo usualy sinks rather than floating. I expect anything which was likely to be visible was well checked out before being used.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 09:04:36 »
My mind is now firmly at rest  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 09:11:27 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 13:50:47 »
I suppose if your water supply was likely to contain cholera & such you might not be too fussed by a bit of duckweed.  :)
I'm really looking forward to watching the DVD - just hope Santa doesn't forget it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 20:11:30 »
Is it edible I wonder? That would certainly solve two problems!
 ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 20:15:09 »
Wot the DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fishes eat the duckweed & seem to survive.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2006, 15:37:33 »
 :o

Think it was W.C. Fields who said he never drank water because fish **** in it!!

;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2006, 16:29:51 »
This conversation is getting rather fishy, I'm not intending to eat the DVD after I've watched it cos Santa is bringing it!
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2006, 16:33:30 »
I received mine the other day, supposed to be giving it to the kids to wrap up for me, have mysteriously forgotten so far......................................must be all the Christmas stuff I've been doing.......SO tempted to open it up!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2006, 16:45:51 »
Anyone tried the Victorian Flower Garden DVD? I've read the book, and it's probably going to be worth having.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2006, 19:53:07 »
;) Just ordered mine must be worth six quid, even if I just use the discs as bird scarer's.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 22:26:26 »
What struck me is how easy it is to get rare seeds with the Internet. I'm not sure when the series was filmed, but several of the rarities they talk about can be found easily via a web search. I couldn't find couve tronchuda, but I seem to remember that some people on the site grow it.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2006, 23:04:11 »
I believe the series was first shown in 1987 so it must of been filmed sometime before then.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 23:37:27 »
The Victorian Kitchen Garden book was first published in 1987, and given a year for publication, 1986 is most likely.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2006, 08:36:53 »
What struck me is how easy it is to get rare seeds with the Internet. I'm not sure when the series was filmed, but several of the rarities they talk about can be found easily via a web search. I couldn't find couve tronchuda, but I seem to remember that some people on the site grow it.

Yes, for the first time last year - shared some seed and still have some if you're interested Robert :) Pretty and productive on the plot right now :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2006, 09:11:25 »
What size is it, and what season? We don't eat brassicas much, so a non-hearting cabbage might be just what's needed.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2006, 13:05:37 »
Seems to have a long season so far - my first year growing. I sowed in April, left it to get nibbled by the cabbage whites over the summer, and it's recovered beautifully. Individual leaves of winter cabbage are ideal for us - we don't eat brassicas much either :) You're looking at 3 plants there, on the edge of a 1m wide bed. The packet says allow 1m between plants.

When cut, the leaves flop very quickly, so I pick last thing, wash and fridge if not using immediately. Tend to cut out the middle stem and chiffonade the green leaves.

I'd expect it to bolt in the Spring?

Let me know if you'd like to try.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2006, 13:58:33 »
It sounds about right all round, as I don't want to fill up too much space with cabbagy things but I do use it occasionally. I'll PM my address, thanks.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2006, 16:13:20 »
Mine arrived today but OH has wrapped it up with strict instructions not to open until Xmas
 :'(
:o ;D ;D ;D
I won't reveal too much but I just had to share this with anyone who hasn't seen it because I am totally amazed they did this..........The Victorians used to smash the ice on their lakes and store it in a huge ice store which was located in the garden deep underground and were able to use the ice throughout the summer until September!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal