Author Topic: How to seal a log?  (Read 1939 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
How to seal a log?
« on: September 04, 2006, 19:44:42 »
Hey,

Ok i had a really dismal looking but pretty old holly tree in the back yard. it had been hacked to an inch of it's life over the years and it had gotten very very tall but the only branches were about a foot from the top and it just looked odd. so i've hacked it down and i have a slim, long and straight log.

now i want to use it in the garden as either a post or trellis for something to climb on. how to i go about preserving it?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: How to seal a log?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 20:15:05 »
 :-\

Don't know the answer, but if you just leave it as it is, it will become a valuable habitat for bugs and things...

;)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 20:17:46 »
:-\

Don't know the answer, but if you just leave it as it is, it will become a valuable habitat for bugs and things...

;)

oh it's nice some people care about bugs :) but i step on them...and i'm certainly not gonna make a home for them!  :P

no....just kidding. i mainly chopped it down becasue i've got nothing for my honeysuckle to climb against right now.....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 20:25:10 »
Ah, but you did; you had the holly. Plant it securely and it'll still provide a home for both the honeysucke and the bugs.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 20:31:53 »
Ah, but you did; you had the holly. Plant it securely and it'll still provide a home for both the honeysucke and the bugs.

it was planted in the back yard...it'll like this wead covered bit of patio in the back yard that no one goes into. it was growing in a hole in the patio with ivy smoothering it for years......so i thought it's best to chop it down.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 21:28:49 »
Strip off all the bark, and stand it - somewhere dry - in a bucket of wood preservative.  As the wood dries the preservative will be sucked into it.  When the wood has dried out a bit paint the rest with preservative as well.  It`ll last for years then.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 19:25:28 »
Strip off all the bark, and stand it - somewhere dry - in a bucket of wood preservative.  As the wood dries the preservative will be sucked into it.  When the wood has dried out a bit paint the rest with preservative as well.  It`ll last for years then.

excellent. ahhh i've already found a spot for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal