Author Topic: Does this green house look value for money?  (Read 2955 times)

baggieboy

• Half Acre
Does this green house look value for money?
« on: August 29, 2006, 23:07:00 »
Hi there have been looking around different places and was wondering if you thought this green house is good value?

This greenhouse is Width- 6ft , Long - 8ft, Height 1.9m it is priced at £250. This price is brand new so would anyone now if it's the going rate.

It's described as:-

* Double sliding doors
* All are clad with UV stabalised clear semi-rigid panels
* Translucent twin wall panel roof

heres a pic

This is in the kays catalouge, so do you think the price is to high?

thanks for looking

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Does this green house look value for money?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:11:32 »
Hi, the same or at least very similar greenhouse is £225 from Norfolk Greenhouses but I don't know if there is a delivery charge.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 07:26:39 »
has it got a base with this price

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 10:50:36 »
These (or very similar ones) are being sold on eBay as well, often with no reserve. You could do a search to see what prices they historically go for on there.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 13:56:16 »
I think it's not so much the price as what you are actually getting - the structure needs to be a rigid as possible so bars going across are essential else it will blow down, also needs a base but you can glue to breeze blocks, and I would be wanting to know what the panels were made of, if quite thin plastic I think that's expensive. I would visit B/Q and do some research first imo

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 21:12:44 »
Have seem some on freecycle but you have to go and take them down.It may be worth you putting an advert on your self that way you get a better response. I've always done well on freecycle as ours is not as big as say London. Good luck.

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 23:52:05 »
thanks for the help.. have joined freecycle now

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 06:28:29 »
My first g/h (have i told you that i've got two  :P) is a 6' x 6' norfolk one just like the pic and has stood up well to some battering weather so far this year.

The double sliding doors aren't much of a feature tbh, you need two hands to make the doors slide properly.

You've got limited options for ventilation i.e. the window in the rear panel and the doors.  norfolk do offer a solar vent which you have to cut a hole in one of the roof panels, but it only looked like a wee hole and maybe not sufficient (I didn't bother with that option and my toms haven't seemed to suffer due to the lack of it). 

It depends on your budget.  My second one is a Hall's and is far superior, but then far more expensive too.

Time will tell as to the durability of the polycarb and perspex.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:32:12 by MrsKP »
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Clairylou

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 13:51:17 »
hi,

I managed to get the same greenhouse in sale from Kays last year £179, it did its job well enough in summer, but didnt last the winter most of the panels got broken in wind and sliding doors kept blowing off.  It may just be that my lottie is to exposed its on a hill very exposed to wind.  It probably would have lasted in a more sheltered area.

Hope This Helps.

Claire, Burnopfield Co Durham

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 21:25:21 »
 :o

i wonder if wrapping the whole thing in bubble wrap will help !  (I'm at the top of a hill in a bit of a wind tunnel too).

:-[
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 16:32:59 »
This is our greenhouse. We got it from homebase in the sale I think it cost about £225. Devil to put up though. Like a b****y jigsaw.  The instructions said it would take 3 hours to erect. What a laugh, It took Tony 3 days to get his head around the instructions, Its ok now its done and at least the footballs won't break it so easily cos its plastic and also got a ten year gaurantee.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 16:56:02 »
and a fine greenhouse it looks too.  it has to be said that i was never very fond of those bubble windows, but they give you an extra bit of width further up the top which could prove useful.  10year guarantee sounds excellent !

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 19:10:37 »
Does sound and look good will take a trip to homebase in the week. Been trying to get a second hand one but not had any look yet

mikedhart

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 21:18:57 »
just bought a 6 ft by 8ft one from do it all - they are on offer- Paid £169 - made of aluminium and glass

Mike

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 23:58:36 »
My friend has the same one shirlton - bought about 18 months ago. He's pleased with it, except for the noise it makes when it's windy. It goes 'boing, boing' quite loudly, but is very sturdy. Have you noticed this yet?

Tricia

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 08:29:45 »
When buying a greenhouse if possible always look for one that you can collect water off the roof.

One of mine has curved sides, a complete b$%$%rd to find plastic for and also stops fitting of guttering.

G

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 10:21:01 »
Hi Tricia, Yes I have noticed the boing boing. Sometimes I think its thundering. I would have liked a glass one but what with the kids kicking the balls over and the vandalism we sometimes experience we thought it better to have the plastic one.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal