Author Topic: Hello To You All...  (Read 15066 times)

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
Re: Hello To You All...
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2006, 18:42:17 »
take a bow, it's well deserved. you'd never believe it was the same plot. great pics.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2006, 19:07:16 »
Lovely plot and well done for your hard work baggieboy :o :D is that you running down the path btw? ;D

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2006, 21:37:58 »
 ;D ;D

i wish it was mate, i'd love to be his age. Come to think of it i'd love to live my 21st year again . What a year that was

Thanks for all the kind words as well everyone

Put the gate on today as well

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2006, 10:56:38 »
Incredible. I'm amazed you've achieved so much already.  :)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2006, 15:42:09 »
Only just read this thread and I'm so impressed with what you've done. You should be really proud of yourselves.
I only wish you could take on one of the neglected plots on our site!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2006, 17:37:59 »
Hello Baggieboy,  I have just been catching up with your progress and I am amazed and so impressed at what you have managed to achieve.  Well done!  :D busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

tommy in york

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2006, 17:04:51 »
Hello there.  I am a new member, and have been fascinated by your good work.
The original state of your plot was horrid.
With all your hard work, and that of your family, you are turning it round into a very neat and productive plot of land
Keep up the good work Baggie Boy

Let me know how it goes.

Boing Boing!!!!!

Tommy

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2006, 02:03:17 »
Boingboing m8 and thanks....

Not been around for much as my pc problems are still being ' sorted '.

Lent my moms pc for now. As for allotment i planted some Winter Cabage , Garlic , some more raddish (don't like it but got a buzz last week when i dug one up). And some type of lettuce  ;D (sorry dont now which one).

I have also attempted some mushrooms , which are fingers crossed are going to plan. My Uncle has helped us get connifer stumps up so we can lay a dividing fence.

Will post some more when pc is sorted

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2006, 05:54:41 »
Hi baggieboy excellent pictures it will help later on when you look back on the work you have achieved.....we had to take on a new plot last october 05 when we were thrown off our 11 year old one to make way for a new club...we took over a semi marsh and were also told we were mad....nobody else would touch it......we decided to go down the raised bed route....got the plot size down on paper and tried to get the best out of the plot from there......we have some pics in allotement movement if it is of help....the beds are all made out of pallets...the posts also came from the pallets cut in half...treated and bashed into the ground......the beds are various lengths but all are 4' wide...to allow for working the beds and havesting.....yes you will be harvesting  ;D we had another plot years ago and just divided it into three for the crop rotation...but it was harder...you never seemed to be getting anyware....the raised bed system suits us you can pick a bed to work then move on to the next.....the bed system keeps the siol and added compost were you want it....some say you wast land with extra paths etc.....but each to there own.....god i'm begining to sound like a fanatic  :o
especially since its 6am.....anyway all the best with the plot it is hard work at the early stages.....we are in the middle of digging a 2' 6" drainage ditch at the moment so we know how you feel ...all the best

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2006, 20:17:39 »
:) Unbelievable baggie only just read your adventure its like reading a book, pictures and all. Got my Lotty last year it was six foot high with weeds but not the rubbish tip you inherited though, well done mate wish I'd taken pictures. Council came and rotervated the ground the weeding took forever, and I know what you mean about one hour turning into four and where have you been all this time they just don't understand, good luck mate.   ::)

May the corn be with you.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2006, 13:15:54 »
Excellent work there baggie...

...I expect the mares tails will come back to get you though (see other threads) - they have exceptionally deep roots - but at least they have the advantage of being something worth cutting down and composting!

One word of advice, if you think there has been birds kept in the shed/greenhouse thing then give it a very good scrub with a decent disinfectant...won't want you, or ellis or anyone else to catch something nasty....

Best wishes, Pigface

tommy in york

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2006, 16:59:27 »
when are we having more photo updates young baggie boy?

Would love to see what your lot is looking like now!! :)

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2006, 11:31:00 »
Will try to take some soon m8, had 2 tonne of muck droped off and had to shovel it all over the fence  :'(.

We have moved the door on the shed and we are gonna make a small patio area for a cup of tea etc soon. Will take some more photos soon

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2006, 12:54:11 »
Excellant pics. Well done with all the hard work, it's worth it in the end, or so I keep being tiold.
I'd rather be flying

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2006, 13:52:27 »
only just read this thread..... you are putting us to shame baggie - we have had our plot for 18 months and have still not managed to even dig it all over once!

You are truly dedicated to your allotment and more importantly your children, very inspirational stuff....

keep the pictures coming  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2006, 20:03:56 »
I look forward to the new pics Baggieboy...
 :)

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2007, 21:26:04 »
Hi there,

Not updated this thread for a few months , so as we have been spending longer down the plot due to the lighter nights thought I should let you now how it's been going.

Since my last post the plot itself dosen't look too different heres a couple of veiws of it tonight at 7pm.

We've also put together a compost bin.

Winter Onions seem to have really picked up in the warm weather.

And the purple sprouting broccoli is looking tastey  ;D. How big should the florets be before I cut them?? ???

Here is a picture of our home made green house thingy, this is where our toms will go. The lettuce in the corner of the pic we put in cause it seems determined to grow whatever the weather  ::)

And my favourite place on the whole plot.......the potting shed. Been starting plenty of things off in here. The cauli , some toms , leeks, have all started showing.

cause it joins onto our green house part it gets plenty light and always feels warm.

What we will be doing in the coming weeks

We have a number of things on the to-do list. A couple of parts still need a good digging , and we also gonna build another bean support.

The front of the plot next to ours is going to be used for dropping off free straw/manure each year so we asked if we could take on the back of it . We  have been told yes but not got it in writing yet , but when we do we plan on building our own poly tunnel. The water pipe for which I have already got off ebay.

I will also be using the blue water pipe to make a brassia protection area.

Oh and we also plan on actually growing some veg  ;D

Thanks and i'll keep you updated.

P.S when should I cut my purple sprouting broccoli and where should I cut it ??

thanks

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2007, 21:30:01 »
the purple sprouting is ready as soon as you like..it looks brill..love the photos, spring's definitely here  ;D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2007, 21:33:07 »
What great pictures; everything is so orderly.  It seems incredible that the picture as taken as late as 7.00pm tonight.
The potting shed is really impressive, I bet that you've spent a few happy hours there.  I would say that the PSB is certainly ready to eat.  It would be such pity if it went "over the top."
Thanks again for posting the pics - really enjoyed looking around your plot :)

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2007, 21:43:11 »
Truth is I have a PSB dilema  :-[

I have never tried it before and both me and my gf love brocolli. I was only given 2 plants , 1 of which hasen't produced nothing yet so I only have that 1 plant.

If I cut it now is that it ? no more broccoli, or does it develope again in a couple of weeks?

Do I just eat the purple bit or some of the stalk?

And finally do I just cut and eat it myself or could I freeze it and wait till i've got some more?? ???

sorry but im new to this

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal