Author Topic: Hello To You All...  (Read 15058 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Hello To You All...
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2007, 23:40:31 »
I grew PSB for the first time last year and after picking the first sprouts the rest (side shoots) came thick and fast. Be careful though - it tastes great raw. You might have to get your gf down the lottie to stop you from stripping the plant bare on the spot!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2007, 23:49:04 »
Wow, looking good, I was wondering how things were going in baggieland.

Pick the PSB!  Cut each floret down to about 6" taking in some stalk and a few small leaves.  We find the best way to cook it is in an asparagus pan but it does cook well in a steamer, but try not to cook for long as it can disintegrate quickly.  

Best way to eat it is all on it's own with a portion of melted butter to pour over it or dip each floret into - asparagus style with butter dripping off your chin.  Absolutely gorgeous, can't wait for mine to be ready, another week or so I reckon.  

I've also seen it served with a soft boiled chookie egg to dip into - interesting!

It's beautiful.

Keep us posted, Sand

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2007, 23:54:53 »
thanks alot , can't wait to pick some tomorrow  ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2007, 07:09:25 »
As said - wow, what an achievement!

But the PSB ?  To me, a very unusual variety. Certainly all those side shoots should be picked now, but it doesn't look as though there will be much of a follow-on?

Get as much of the stem as you can - the meaty bit - but it's best to take the shoots where they break -  then you know they are tender. If they don't break, it is best to skin them before cooking.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2007, 09:07:15 »
Waited too long to 'modify' so start again........

Unusual PSB? But like a batch I had this year - very disappointing.

I know that this is WSB but the same principles apply.

Yes - just been picked!!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2007, 09:25:48 »
wow just seen thgis thread. that's awesome! what an acheivement, well done!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2007, 10:24:23 »
We good luck!  You are certainly going to need a fair bit of energy for your plot. I like your wall though that can be really useful! 

May I, as an oldie, offer advice and suggest that you tackle a smallish bit at a time.  Sometimes when you have a disaster area as large as yours! you may run out of enthusiasm, steam and energy, yet if you have a smaller bed or two growing stuff already this will give you encouragement to carry on!  Even if you don't get it all planted this year you will be well ahead from where you are this year - next year - if you see what I mean!

Best of luck with it though.

Old Bird

;D

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2007, 14:15:06 »
oh my god what a task you have there and i thought my hubby was moaning about ours, wait until he gets home and i'll show him your pictures, you must be a mad man to take on that one but good luck to you and hope you enjoy it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2007, 14:30:06 »
should develop more side shoots if you cut them off , enjoy it  :)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2007, 14:45:23 »
What a fantastic thread and a job well done Baggie  ;D Makes me want to take on yet ANOTHER derelict lottie and clear it! Noooooooooooo ... don't let me!

I could cheerfully sit all day looking at photos of 'allotments from start to finish'. Wonder if there's a market for a book in there somewhere?

When I see pics like this though I want to PM the poster and say "you know what thing on the right hand-side of the photo? You didn't throw it away did you because you could have used it X, Y, X" etc  ::) I'm a bit of a Mr. Trebus when it comes to allotments!

Hope you have a fantastic growing season  ;D And Easter hols now, so Ellis can help ya!

Trix X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2007, 18:26:02 »
Wow again - what an achievement  :o Well done you - and happy growing !

I agree Trix - I love before and after lottie pics

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2007, 19:34:30 »
Thanks all , just got back with the PSB think my gf thought I was bringing a bag full home.  ;D. She said is that it  >:(

So i just put some mushrooms filled with blue stilton wrapped with bacon in the oven, and i'm roasting the PSB with some butter for a few mins and arranging them around the mushrooms  ;D that's the plan anyway .

Wish tim was cooking it his food photos always make me hungary ;)

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2007, 19:41:03 »
Sounds delicious please lay a place at the table for one more :P

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2007, 19:48:49 »
I love home grown veggies, they just melt, especially cauli and broccoli  ;D

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2007, 20:25:20 »
Welcome Baggiboy, pics look good and well done for taking a big challenge like you have done, will be interested to see how it go's  i think your mates will be jealous when the see what you have grown  :) :-*
Sue

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2007, 21:48:25 »
I stir fry my stem broccoli with worcester sauce. Mmmmmm!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2007, 20:44:29 »
My mate on the lottie gave me the leaves off his PSB and they boiled up to a lovely cabbage.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2007, 13:10:05 »
With PSB, best to take the top bits first - encourages the plant to bush out, then, when you take the side shoots take a close look at the stalks near the main stem...you should see some little buds there? Leave 'em..they'll grow 8) And agree with CK....the leaves cook beautifully too. :)

Baggie, I've been reading and looking at your pics all over again, just now.Wotta difference from when you started. Hope young Ellis is still having a good time too....so then....when do the chickens arrive? ;D

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2007, 03:12:22 »
I'd love chickens but computer says no ( well other people do). The PSB I picked i got to try a tiny bit as Ellis clearly hated the mushroom/bacon/cheese, but kept nicking my broccoli  >:(. Least it must of tasted nice  :)

Other bit of news , was gutted to go in potting shed and find most our stuff , dug up by a mouse  >:( so set a trap and got the little fella.

My gf said it was cruel...........just before tucking into her lamb dinner  ::) ::) ::)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2007, 09:12:48 »
Well what can I say Baggieboy. From one Brummie to another. Bloomin welll done mate. yer deserve a medal. We took our new plot on last autumn next to the one our daughter Bunjy has. They are both coming along fine. I really love your potting shed cum cafe cum. studio . I noticed the van gough in the corner.lol
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal