Author Topic: Sad, really - this used to be a forum  (Read 8366 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Sad, really - this used to be a forum
« on: January 09, 2006, 20:45:40 »
mainly about growing related things.

Very soon it will be blue lined like the beeb's was.

Surely there are PMs & chat rooms for those who want to let their hair - and us - down?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Sad, really - this used to be a forum
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 21:11:04 »
I think a bit more discipline is called for. Nothing wrong with a bit of chat, and I think pretty much anything goes in the Shed as long as it's not abusive, but I don't like to see Dan having to delete posts. I don't know what it was, but things are going too far, and it's not just the people who had their posts removed, it's the general atmosphere.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 21:35:08 »
I agree that the rest of the forum should be kept about growing things but I do regard A4A as an extension of my lottie and come on here when I cannot get on here.  Yes, there are forums and chat rooms out there for general chat but then you aren't necessarily chatting to people that you have a common interest with.  Conversations up at the allotment may begin on a growing etc subject but it would be a sad world if that was all I was to talk about with my fellow lottiers, and I do not think they would talk to me about anything if I did not respond to the light hearted chat.  That's how I see the Shed, a place where I can chat in a relaxed way with people who share  common interest with.

PS Do not worry if what I do is annoying you.  I am starting to think that I might not be back.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 22:36:06 by Admin aka Dan »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 21:42:24 »
I have to agree with Ady, I have no wish to offend anyone, I post in the other threads when it is relevant and as I have said, kept chat here. As for the chat room, not all of us wish to use that facility for various reasons....I have never abused anyone, I can barely spell it, and PMs, not quite the same.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 21:46:47 »
Maybe someone has been sending dodgy PMs and harassing fellow forum members?

Maybe some folks don't like the fact that this place has changed and they're not the centre of attention any more?

Maybe the outrageous political views/ bizarre chit chat/general noise of some members are driving more normal members to distraction?

Whatever it is, can we just try and be honest, but gentle, with each other? There's enough space for everyone. Except the first-mentioned someone...

I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 22:01:28 »
Sorry - did go but back for a little while.

Since when was Whisky to do with gardening or is that alright?

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 22:06:54 »
Absolutely agree with you 3 :    RC  TM and UP

There is plenty of room for serious talk in other threads.
Nathan

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 22:07:22 »

Whisky is ok ady......but only as long as its copiuos amounts.....prefer an 18
  year old malt meself  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 22:10:22 »

I agree wholeheartedly with 4 of the above particularly with TM on points
   1 and 4

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 22:12:15 »
This is Tim's thread, and I apologise to Tim personally if my opinion is unwelcome, I will happily delete it.

I try and see the big picture. We have an excellent forum covering the growing environment, and it has extended to encompass a variety of other subjects, which should appeal to the range of people that use this forum.

I have noticed two things happening recently.

One is that there appears to be some rather heated opinions thrown around, and a lot of animosity arising from that.

The second is that there seems to be a persistence of posting 'off topic' in threads which have a serious content. I am not referring to threads here which are recognised 'banter' threads, but threads which have a genuine topic and should not be diluted with trivial posts ... Dan has explained this situation quite clearly, and the actions of what I believe is probably a small minority are driving away some of our very valued members. I don't include myself in that category by the way, either as a valued member, or in being driven away.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 22:19:42 »
I love a good whisky Jags so do a few other members of this board and I have shared threads with them about it.  At no point was soil mentioned although peat may have been  ;D.  What I am saying is there is plenty of non-gardening chat in the shed and in the Watershed that does not interest me.  I find out and then do not bother again.  What interests me does not always interest others and vice versa.  I do not go out of my way to bore myself by reading things that are not of interest to me so I can moan about them later.  I happen to share a lot of interest with other lottiers (I wonder why that is) and like to have a relaxed online chat - it adds an extra dimension to my life as I still have real time chats as well.

I am going away for a little while again as this thread has left me a little steamed and feeling a little let down.

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 22:23:22 »
Come back soon Redclanger
Nathan

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 22:27:49 »

Well put the feet up mate......turn the lights down low....and mellow with a
  nice malt............take in the wonderous aroma......then gently ever so gently
  recline that glass....and let the amber necter...do its stuff.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 22:28:04 »
Dominique  please please don't behave...
Nathan

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 22:30:31 »
Well, Dominique, I've just crash landed from the moon, and could do with some help, cos Dibs needed an early night... ::) Scuse me for interupting, but if Dominique feels the need for a giggle, I'm quite happy to be giggled at...and have moon rock...tastes lovely...sorry, will go back there now....sorry...just didn't want Dominque all sad.... :-\

Erm I may be wrong, this does happen very occasionally, but I'm a wondering if Dan moved the FIles here, for the fun bit, cos it is, keeps me sane....any and most subjects covered...we're doing the supernatural next or whatever grabs you really...so feel free to join, in fact, be kinda nice, cos I can't be Scully, she's a blonde you see, and Mulder's a man so I'll have to be erm....scary blob or something...ok..that's it...going back to check wreckage..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 22:35:05 by undercarriage plan »

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 22:38:50 »
well said Dominique.  ;D

yes the chat is a very nice place, but bits of chat on the boards will happen. i know a lot of members dont use the chat.  Terrace Max (Dingledong) for instance.  So using the shed is a way to communicatte with them people.

To see it as daft and make it a strict gardening board, seems a little unfriendly, and loses the meaning behidn the boards. This will mean that people do only post once, like in Eric's Statistics!

i can understand not chatting in threads but complaining about general chit chat in the genral chit chat area seems a little silly. Some threads, have remained very chatty and i think these threads will keep the chat elsewhere on the board down, such as the please delete thread. However, thats now been locked (which Dan may have reasons for).  if you dont want to be involved its one topic, it takes up a small section of the site, just stay out!!!!

its the same with all message boards, you dont think you will like what you will read you stay out. you should all try some of the teenage boards, now this is a dodle comapred to them.  They have about 15 moderators to stop things getitng out of hand.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 22:44:17 »
Tim,

We can only hope that some of the people who seem to use every thread as a way of saying the same thing over and over again either grow out of it, or leave.

Dan

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 22:45:30 »
Well, feel I wanted to reply to Tim's original comment here. Yes, the forum is supposed to be mainly about growing things, and on the whole I consider that it is. I enjoy reading sensible posts from sensible people about a range of subjects to do with growing things. I don't often look at or post in sections other than those, as I don't find a lot to interest me there. There's a place for live chat here, which is good, and a place for personal messages, which is good. I could live without the Shed and Watershed sections myself, but understand that they fulfill a need for some people - and there are a very wide range of people that use this site. I do wish though, that some comments in otherwise serious posts weren't put in (I think most of us are guilty of going off topic at some time or other though) - it's just that sometimes it gets too silly for me to see the funny side.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 22:46:14 »
I think it is very sad too Tim.  In my  opinion this Forum is less that it was.  The threads in the Shed have turned into Chat rooms for a few and have demoted what was once an excellent space that was responsibily used.  I regret this very much.  It is becoming a Message Board that I don't want to belong to anymore.  :( :( busy_lizzie      
live your days not count your years

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 22:50:42 »
why look in the shed then??

Well some Thread may be of interest, so why look at the others, if people stay in them thReads then there is nO problems as far as i can see, other people just need to stay out of that topic and then there isnt and shouLdnt be any problems Like this.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal