Author Topic: International Kidney  (Read 1687 times)

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
International Kidney
« on: June 12, 2011, 18:28:36 »
I did a search on the forum  for this before I posted, but couldn't find anything, so if this has been discussed before, sorry!  I planted IK the first week in April, and the haulms are big and sturdy looking, but no sign of flowers yet. Are they late flowerers, because I understood they were first earlies.

Meg

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: International Kidney
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 18:51:29 »
I/K are 2nd earlies, and somewhere I read they could be called main crop.   I grow them every year.  I planted mine in March and I got some up yesterday.   They were delicious.   Not a heavy cropper and I don't wait for them to flower.  I get them up over  a few weeks.   My favourite spud.   Perhaps yours will need another 2-3  weeks.

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 18:57:40 »
Yes, will give them up to the middle of July - got my seed potatoes from Dobbies this year, and they call them first earlies - (http://www.dobbies.com/International-Kidney-Jersey-Royals-Seed-Potatoes-2-4kg-Bag/pid-289735) but will go with your suggestion.  Thanks
Meg

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 19:03:01 »
Confusing isn't it?    I thought of them as 1st earlies until this year.  Now I use the British Potato Database.   I/k have white flowers by the way.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 20:30:44 »
On JBA's potato website he has them down as an early that can be used for maincrop as well, you learn something new every day.    ??? ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 21:36:46 »
With first earlies you don't wait for the flowers. Just have a firkle and dig 'em up! (Then plant leeks!)

But IK - or Jersey Royals - aren't really first earlies (unless you live in Jersey, that is, which is cheating). They are second earlies or early maincrop in England; on my soil somewhere between Home Guard and British Queen.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 22:44:55 »
I have not grown them before but I am amazed at the size of the plants they are enormous, right next to home guard.  Just started to crop the Home Guard and was wondering what should come next.    But do the IK taste as good if left a while longer.  I am hoping todays rain will fatten up a few more spuds.

Everything I dig up has a huge number of spudlets and I keept wishing I had left it a little loner
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 22:46:32 by Digeroo »

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 22:49:22 »
They are not bad left to get bigger.

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:18 »
With first earlies you don't wait for the flowers. Just have a firkle and dig 'em up! (Then plant leeks!)

As soon as it stops raining long enough (South West of Scotland has had rain most of May/June!!) I'll have a firkle and see what's there)

Thanks for your help everyone.

Meg

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:33:16 »
I've always thought of IK as 1st earlies too. Grew them last year and gave them 12 weeks - March to June - they were delicious!

picman

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 16:23:27 »
My first attempt at IK , ( I paid 2.99 to 10 ! ) Dug up first root today, they look great , Lamb shank is on slow cook as I type...   

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 17:20:55 »
If you want them to taste like Jersey Royals you need to put plenty of seaweed meal in there or dried seaweed woudl be better... IN Jersey they fertilise the fields with seaweed and it's what makes them taste the way they do....

IK is quite an old fashioned variety and was bred before the more modern compact foliage strains were developed..... if you want to see a monster though look at a Pink Fir Apple if it's had a decent season sometiem around September.... they get proper big.....

chrisc

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 21:19:20 »
Yep my pink fir apple are a good size and in flower already which I thought was a bit early. No flowers on my 2nd earlies yet [although I've pinched a few for Sunday lunch.] Its been cool and dry until Sunday which might have held them back a bit. No rush unless the rain continues and blight rears its head. I want a good crop for winter ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal