Author Topic: Christmas Veg  (Read 2076 times)

lornaluft

• Not So New ...
Christmas Veg
« on: June 12, 2011, 19:55:23 »
I want to try to grow all the veg for my christmas dinner. I would like to do it from seed if poss.
Am I too late for anything yet, and what sort of timing/varieties would people recommend.
Thank you :)

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
Re: Christmas Veg
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 20:23:31 »
 I shall be watching this with interest ! i would also like to provide all year round, but so often people seem to have gluts in summer and scrounge whatever is left over in winter, almost as an afterthought ! i am trying to plan so that i can get a good harvest at any time. My sprouts are in and doing well so that is something to look forward to at Christmas. I'm hoping to replant as soon as i get spaces and keep things going. I hope you get lots of useful advice.  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 21:48:36 »
It's something I've been trying and last year there was a great thread on here about growing for winter - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,61086.0.html . Hope that helps for starters  :)

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 22:34:18 »
Me too - I was starting to plan for winter now, including some winter lettuce, late sowing peas, etc.  I am slightly annoyed I only twigged onto this too late - so no parsnips.  BOO!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 23:11:36 »
funny, I was going to suggest parsnips for Christmas Day. course they would be baby ones if it worked, but they'd cost a fortune in M&S

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 23:18:02 »
i think you have more then enough time for parsnips if goal is have by Christmas day.
since you still have 196 days till christmas

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 23:46:27 »
yep my plan is to have parsnips starting a few in a large tub so i dont need to dug frozen ground. B.sprouts are already started and nearly ready to go into the ground. Have already got my menu for this year sorted for 14 days so have a fair idea what i am needing veggie wise.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:59:31 »
What seeds are you using for your turkey..

Sorry

I think you can get most things as the thread I started for last year showed. We had  homegrown fresh  tomatoes and salad, new potatoes, sprouts, spring onions, even the sage for the stuffing was fresh from an indoor plant. We didn't mange peas though. We had carrotts and snips from outside.

This years challenge indoors is a small strawberry patch for a strawberry cream tea for Boxing day.

I and a couple of others are planting spuds in pots in July.

I still haven;t figured out how to  grow raisins and currants for the pud though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 14:10:00 »
Nice to know I'm not too late - will be putting a row in this afternoon then.   :D  Thanks all.

lornaluft

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 20:49:33 »
Great, Thanks guys...
Nice to know Im not too late. Best get to the lottie tomorrow and get seed sowing!!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 22:04:03 »
Have to admit to preferring leeks to sprouts along with parsnips for Xmas....although I've a dozen sprout plants in. I sow my carrots latish so there should still be some in the ground.
I have this theory that we only have summer to prepare for winter which is forecast to be another tough one. Summer bounty is just a fillup on the way....
Plan for twelve months and keep sowing and planting. Doesn't always work but getting there- after a lot of practice.... ::)

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 22:11:46 »
Great philosophy Green Lilly ! carrots are one of my favorites, but can't seem to grow them ! Have now planted carrots 5 times and nothing, planted the same seeds in pots, no problem. I do like my sprouts though, can't imagine Christmas without them. I will try and have something every day i can through the whole 12 months !  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal